Reload this Page >

Moving to Syria (maybe) in 2009

Moving to Syria (maybe) in 2009

Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:21 am
Just Joined

marmite66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Syria (maybe) in 2009

Hi Expats,

Can anyone help a worried man? My job maybe sending me and my small family to Syria (although I have 4 other possible countries) next year if I get it on my list of countries. I have zero knowledge of Syria can anyone give me a little idea of the following to get me started

1 How much is rent for a 2 bedroom flat size approx 60/70 sqm in city.
2 What is the climate like?
3 What is Ottawa like?
4 Is the cost of living high?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or tips
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:28 am
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Syria (maybe) in 2009

Originally Posted by marmite66
Hi Expats,

Can anyone help a worried man? My job maybe sending me and my small family to Syria (although I have 4 other possible countries) next year if I get it on my list of countries. I have zero knowledge of Syria can anyone give me a little idea of the following to get me started

3 What is Ottawa like?

Hi Marmite,

Although I've only been to Syria on business trips, my advise? Choose one of the four other countries. Not for nothing they nicknamed Syria as the "Jail without jail bars". I sure as hell don't like it when I return to a hotel and my room has been checked by none hotel staff. I'd take a big stiff drink and sit down a while to think, before I'd even consider bringing a wife and children over there. It's one of the few countries where "risk money" still applies. If they offer you 60K in pounds to go there? Ask an other 60K as risk money.

Dutchie
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:57 pm
W10

While I've never lived in Syria, I know plenty of people who have without problems (although like any other dictatorship, things can change quickly)

It really is a country that is not to most people's tastes though, although I'm not sure the 'risk money' thing applies. You're much more likely to go missing if you are a Syrian!

Last edited by W10; Dec 7th 2008 at 12:59 pm.

Old Dec 7th 2008, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Expats,

3 What is Ottawa like?

But I thought Ottowa was in Canada
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:19 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Syria sponsors and harbors terrorists. However I hear its lovely to visit and the people are fantastic.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Expats,

3 What is Ottawa like?

Prior to war in Iraq, you would rent an apartment for USD400-600 a month in an ok area of the city...
Climate is very good...They have 4 seasons and it is dry during the summer with cool nights...
Ottawa is a very cosmopolitan city in Saudi, but I don't see the relevance of Ottawa with Vietnam...
The cost of living in Syria is probably 1/3 to 1/4 of that in the UK...Petrol is cheap, cars are very very very expensive...
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Hi Marmite,

Although I've only been to Syria on business trips, my advise? Choose one of the four other countries. Not for nothing they nicknamed Syria as the "Jail without jail bars". I sure as hell don't like it when I return to a hotel and my room has been checked by none hotel staff. I'd take a big stiff drink and sit down a while to think, before I'd even consider bringing a wife and children over there. It's one of the few countries where "risk money" still applies. If they offer you 60K in pounds to go there? Ask an other 60K as risk money.

Dutchie
Originally Posted by W10
While I've never lived in Syria, I know plenty of people who have without problems (although like any other dictatorship, things can change quickly)

It really is a country that is not to most people's tastes though, although I'm not sure the 'risk money' thing applies. You're much more likely to go missing if you are a Syrian!
Originally Posted by Aikman7981
Syria sponsors and harbors terrorists. However I hear its lovely to visit and the people are fantastic.
As long as one doesn't get involved in politics and doesn't air his political opinions to anyone, even his own wife in his own home, there is nothing to worry about re dictatorship...
Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:00 pm

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

One more thing...

With Syrian stamps in your passport? You'll get one hell of a welcome home party arriving anywhere in civilized part of planet earth. My advise? The "cup of coffee spilled over the passport" trick. Or even better a full cycle in a washing machine helps to get a new one. As for the "not getting involved in politics" part? Bull... With a capital B. Foreigner in Syria? And from Europe or the USA as well? You'll have your hotel room / house / apartment visited "in absentia" within 24 hours. The last guy that checked me out? Just dumped the contents of two suitcases on the hotel bed, didn't even take the trouble to even try to cover his tracks. Must have pissed him off starting up my laptop just to find a virgin hard disk in it. Apparently the Syrians haven't figured out what a virtual file server is yet. And by the way, neither have the Americans, but lets keep that a public secret.

Last edited by Dutchie; Dec 7th 2008 at 6:04 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One more thing...

With Syrian stamps in your passport? You'll get one hell of a welcome home party arriving anywhere in civilized part of planet earth. My advise? The "cup of coffee spilled over the passport" trick. Or even better a full cycle in a washing machine helps to get a new one. As for the "not getting involved in politics" part? Bull... With a capital B. Foreigner in Syria? And from Europe or the USA as well? You'll have your hotel room / house / apartment visited "in absentia" within 24 hours. The last guy that checked me out? Just dumped the contents of two suitcases on the hotel bed, didn't even take the trouble to even try to cover his tracks. Must have pissed him off starting up my laptop just to find a virgin hard disk in it. Apparently the Syrians haven't figured out what a virtual file server is yet. And by the way, neither have the Americans, but lets keep that a public secret.
As far as my personal experience, I didn't go into Syria as a Dutchman with US/Canadian/Dutch nationalities and has travelled to more than 50 countries...
Syrians are a paranoid bunch wherever one comes from...They are subtle with some, and not so subtle with others...
We've had our dance with them for more than 30 years...
Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius
As far as my personal experience, I didn't go into Syria as a Dutchman with US/Canadian/Dutch nationalities and has travelled to more than 50 countries...
Syrians are a paranoid bunch wherever one comes from...They are subtle with some, and not so subtle with others...
We've had our dance with them for more than 30 years...
C...

If you quote me, then please do it correctly.

First of all I have a duo nationality, Dutch / American. Not as you say US/Canadian/Dutch nationalities. My American passport has expired more the eight years ago for the simple fact I hate traveling on it. And getting rid of it means a trip to the USA and then being kicked out of the country, big deal...

Secondly, I do have a US/Canadian/Dutch and Saudi driver licenses, nothing illegal about that, I just happened to have worked in those countries and needed them, renewed them when they expired, again no big deal....

Third, in my line of work? Yes I've traveled a lot, still do, 50 countries like you're saying? Don't know, never counted them....

Fourth, I've asked you before, very politely to leave me alone. I respect / respected your postings on here, never commented on them. So please do the same for mine okay?

Dutchie

Last edited by Dutchie; Dec 7th 2008 at 7:35 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 8:30 pm
W10

One more thing...

With Syrian stamps in your passport? You'll get one hell of a welcome home party arriving anywhere in civilized part of planet earth. My advise?
In my experience (because I appreciate everyone's experience is different)

I have Iranian and Syrian stamps in my passport. That's two thirds of the Axis of Evil if you like (I also have Yemeni stamps for added al qaeda measures). No problems in the US, no problems in the UK, no problems in Hong Kong.

As for safety, Sure you get followed and the secret police are obvious. But if you ain't doing anything worth worrying about then you'll be fine. And considering you can buy booze in supermarkets...its not the hellhole people make it out to be.

Syrian people. They tend to be very guarded and a lot of them don't trust Westerners to begin with, so don't expect open arm welcomes...having said that. Two very good friends of mine are Syrian and are the warmest people you could meet.

And never ask a Lebbo for his opinion on Syria ;-)

Last edited by W10; Dec 7th 2008 at 8:38 pm.

Old Dec 7th 2008, 8:44 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
America sponsors terrorists, brutal dictators and harboured nazi war criminals. However I hear its lovely to visit and the people are fantastic.
efa ;-)

Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:30 pm