Moving to Riyadh

Old Nov 12th 2017, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

who_knows is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Riyadh

Hello, I've been offred a work in Riyadh by a local company and I'm evaluating such an important change for me and my family (wife + 1 year old daughter).

Here some topics we are discussing:

- Lifestyle: assuming we will stay in a compound we'd like to understand better what does it means, especially for my wife. Is it easy to deal with personal matters (like grocery shopping, baby caring etc) and also take some english classes?

- Compounds: we have seen a wide range of offers, what we need is no luxury but a place that can help us minimize the impact of such a move. So feeling safe, having good neighbours and services included for my wife and daugther (kindergarten?english class, internet, gym etc) and some sports facilities for me (I like to run).
What are the best value for money locations for that?
What price do you think is ok?

- Job rules: since we'll leave our work here I'd like to know some common rules there (e.g. vacations, sick leave, severance payments), if they apply

- Money management: do we need to open a local bank account? is it easy/cheap to transfer money to europe?

- Negotiations & benefits: do you have some important benefits I should take into account when negotiating my position?

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.
Thank you
Old Nov 14th 2017, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Riyadh

Anyone?
Old Nov 15th 2017, 5:07 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by who_knows
Hello, I've been offred a work in Riyadh by a local company and I'm evaluating such an important change for me and my family (wife + 1 year old daughter).

Here some topics we are discussing:

- Lifestyle: assuming we will stay in a compound we'd like to understand better what does it means, especially for my wife. Is it easy to deal with personal matters (like grocery shopping, baby caring etc)yes and also take some english classes? never come across that, but on most compounds there is a mix of nationalities, so as your social life takes off, presumably there would be a lot of opportunity for whoever has to learn to speak English.

- Compounds: we have seen a wide range of offers, what we need is no luxury but a place that can help us minimize the impact of such a move. So feeling safe, having good neighbours and services included for my wife and daugther (kindergarten?english class, internet, gym etc) and some sports facilities for me (I like to run).
What are the best value for money locations for that? Ranco is fairly good value for money as in it won't break the bank, and it does have a very good social scene. There is a no photography rule in one of its establishments I do believe.
What price do you think is ok? What's your budget?

- Job rules: since we'll leave our work here I'd like to know some common rules there (e.g. vacations, sick leave, severance payments), if they apply Most places will give you 30 days plus all government holidays which typically works out as one week for each of the Eids, possibly more at the Eids depending on what you're doing, or possibly less. Plus Saudi national day 23rd September.

- Money management: do we need to open a local bank account?Yes is it easy/cheap to transfer money to europe? Yes

- Negotiations & benefits: do you have some important benefits I should take into account when negotiating my position? Depends how your company works, but ask about housing, education, transport, flight, yearly bonus, end of service bonus (mandatory), company car?

Any other suggestions would be very welcome. Ask about single status or family status, who pays for family costs, Iqamas etc, also dependent's fees (new since June 2017). Check that all medical and visa costs are paid for by the company at the time or reimbursed later on

That's all I can think of for now, but there are probably other things too.
Thank you
No worries.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your answer!
My budget for the compound is around 200k, but I'd like to know in advance if it's enough to find a place where we can stay with the right facilities (as I said everyday life for my wife and daugther and enough space to run safely for me).
I've seen some very beautiful ones (al bustan, al nakhla) but I guess they' re a bit too expensive (?). I've also read prices are dropping...is that true?
Also they have villas and apartments...any advice on pros and cons?
Do you have some price ranges?

What about end of service bonus?what are the standards?
The new tax is paid directly by yout employer?

When you say family status it means that they cover visa costs, private medical insurace, ecc also for my family?
Thanks again

Last edited by who_knows; Nov 16th 2017 at 6:09 am.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 3:53 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your answer!
My budget for the compound is around 200k, but I'd like to know in advance if it's enough to find a place where we can stay with the right facilities (as I said everyday life for my wife and daugther and enough space to run safely for me). Should be fine, not top of the range but decent enough.
I've seen some very beautiful ones (al bustan, al nakhla) but I guess they' re a bit too expensive (?). I've also read prices are dropping...is that true? Yes, shop around for possible deals.
Also they have villas and apartments...any advice on pros and cons? Same as anywhere. Do you like more space and a garden or less to clean and no garden?
Do you have some price ranges? Could be anything from 80K for an apartment to 300K for a villa depending on compound and size. Shop around.

What about end of service bonus?what are the standards? Half month ending salary for each of the first five years worked plus full month for every year after that. So if you worked four years you get two months salary. If you worked for six years you get three and a half. This is mandatory, but be aware that if you break your contract the employer may not pay for the proportion of that year. And if you get fired you probably won't get it. Employers can be slippery on this.
The new tax is paid directly by yout employer? Depends, from people I know some companies said they'd pay it the first year but not after that, and other people are paying all themselves. It goes up 100 SAR a month per person every year in July. To be paid in full when you renew your dependents' Iqamas for the duration of the new Iqama.

When you say family status it means that they cover visa costs, private medical insurace, ecc also for my family?
Thanks again
Generally speaking family status means they cover everything and more flight allowance for the extra people. That doesn't mean that single status doesn't do any of that though. Using myself as an example, I'm on a single status, but the company covers all Iqama costs and insurance costs for my family, but I paid for their visas and any travel costs associated with them. I also pay for any exit-re-entry visas and so on.

Also, find out about your own exit visas, Some companies will pay for so many a year, others won't.

On arrival, after you have your Iqama, open a Ministry of the Interior Absher account. It's an online portal for anything to do with the government in Saudi, exit visas, family status, traffic fines, driving license, expiry dates etc.

If you're coming at this time of year the weather is lovely. Mid twenties right now and fresh.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Gella is an unknown quantity at this point

Going out to Saudi soon as a wife. Allow 5 !!! months to get your Iqama. Once ,finally achieved, you can start your wife's off. Top tips: Make sure your degree cert is copied in colour. If you have more than one degree make sure it is the one that is most relevant to the job on offer even if it is lower than the highest one you've achieved. If you are renewing your UK passport make sure there isn't a tiny glint of tooth and wear a very different shirt to the one that is already shown in the passport or the British Passport Office will try to claim it's not a recent photo. If you go for your medical in London you'll discover that there is a distinct lack of loos. Make sure you go to loo at train station. What happens otherwise is that doc will understandably claim you have a urine infection and and yet another hold up. Allow 1.5 to 2 hours for medical. Get at least 8 photos of the size they ask as they will ask for more than the 4 they require. Don't have a clue how they do your child's. Good luck

Last edited by Gella; Nov 20th 2017 at 8:32 pm. Reason: Clarity
Old Nov 21st 2017, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I had dinner in Ishbilia Compound a few nights ago - the family I visited there like it a lot, great facilities (huge pool, swimming club, shops, restaurants, post office, nursery etc). Lots of front gate security. No idea what it costs, though.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of depends on what you want for your money:

200K SR will get you an apartment on a relatively new compound such as California. Lots of Brits living on there, many staff from the British School and Western Expats. But then, it's all apartments, so you'd have to decide on taking that or something a little older and cheaper like Ranco or Seder Village. Both will have three bed villas for around 150k.

Don't know the current pricing of Ishbilia. Al Bustan and Nahkla are a little out of that price range.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your answer!
My budget for the compound is around 200k, but I'd like to know in advance if it's enough to find a place where we can stay with the right facilities (as I said everyday life for my wife and daugther and enough space to run safely for me).
I've seen some very beautiful ones (al bustan, al nakhla) but I guess they' re a bit too expensive (?). I've also read prices are dropping...is that true?
Also they have villas and apartments...any advice on pros and cons?
Do you have some price ranges?

What about end of service bonus?what are the standards?
The new tax is paid directly by yout employer?

Thanks again
Roughly speaking, for less than 200k you can get an 2/3 bed apartment in a high end compound (like Al Nakhla, Arizona, California) or a 3/4/5 bed villa in a mid-range compound (like Fal). For a villa in a high end compound you're looking at around 250k SAR - 300k SAR. Al Bustan is also high end but I'm not sure of current prices there. You should negotiate very hard for a discount or extra benefits (such as cleaning, fast internet, tv package, food package), since there is an oversupply of expat accommodation at present due to several large new compounds having opened and a lot of people leaving in the last couple of years. Arizona Compound is only around 35% full at present and Al Nakhla has tons of available new flats and villas as they are still building segments of the compound (although they will probably not admit this on the phone ). California compound has recently agreed a 10% discount for someone I know.

There are currently no taxes that should be deducted from your salary in Saudi.

Whether visa/health/flight costs for you and your family are included depends on what is stated in your contract so make sure it covers everything you want. Otherwise you may end up paying yourself.

Last edited by FriendlyExpat; Dec 12th 2017 at 8:47 am.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

EK28 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get a 3 bed villa in Kingdom Compound for 200k. It's older compared to Al Bustan and California but it is well established and there is a good community here, plenty of western expats. Prices apparently have dropped but not at my compound. My advice...come and see what the compounds are like before you bring your wife over. Talk to plenty people who live in compounds to check what life is like so you don't get stuck in a horrible compound that your wife will hate. It happens all the time. My recommendation...if you want a nice community feel with decent facilities and decent transport to malls, plenty of drivers and easy to find at home help then go for somewhere like Kingdom, Al Bustan, Al Hamra or Ishbilliah. Plenty of people I know have moved out of places like Fal and Ranco because they think they are value for money but end up hating the place. Come first and stay in temp accommodation and get a feel for the place.

Your company should cover your visas, residency and medical insurance for you and your family. My iqama only took a few weeks to process but the company has a very good visa agent who could get it done quickly. I recently came back with my child and their residency visa was done in 1 week. I needed it quickly and they had enough pull to get it done.

Remember working for a local saudi company can be different to a western company. It has its pros and cons also that you might want to consider.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Winter weather in Riyadh is very nice. In the summer it is difficult - but you will have air-conditioning to keep the heat away !
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:47 am
Just Joined

zmalach is an unknown quantity at this point

To anyone considering Al Nakhla, please read this:

I lived in this compound almost 2 years in one of the one bedroom units at the towers:
Pros:
1. One of the best compound in Riyadh in terms of communal facilities.
2. New apartments
Cons:
1. Extremely high asking price. 45sqm tiny unit 150k+
2. Units and villas surprisingly cramped with no dedicated storage spaces. In reality for single person or couple with no kids, 2 bedroom would be required in order to use the second room as storage but the price will be ridiculously high.
3. The compound facilities will get very crowded if they ever fill it.
4. The apartments are lightly equipped and 1 bedroom units doesn’t come with oven! And 2 bedroom without exhaust fan in the kitchen!
5. No housekeeping included in rent. They charge 50 SAR per hour. (Quite expensive than in Europe)
6. Not a walking friendly compound and taxis are not allowed.
7. Be aware that you’ll be involved in a lot of hassle by compound policies and security when inviting friends along
The good thing is they are currently struggling to find new tenants due to the very high prices they are quoting as well as a lot of expats are leaving due to new taxes and fees, so you may try to ask for discount but don’t expect too much.

Do the pros of living at Al Nakhla compound outweigh the cons?? You decide.

<snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 27th 2018 at 8:24 am. Reason: Site Rule 9 - you cannot direct anybody to your Youtube videos.