Moving to Riyadh

Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:31 am
Just Joined

GarethRoberts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Riyadh

I'm soon to relocate from the fleshpots of Dubai to Riyadh. Is it possible to villa share in one of the Western orientated compounds, if so, how would I go about doing it?

I've been quoted some pretty big numbers for 1 bed apartments by some compounds. If I don't end up on a compound then what are my alternative options and are there security issues I should know about living in standard city accommodation?

I'd be grateful for any info, most of the stuff online seems very dated.

Thanks to all

G.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

los merengues is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Riyadh

Hi,

I'm moving out of my 1 bedroom flat in rotunda compound by next month or so. PM me if interested.

Cheers,
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GarethRoberts
I'm soon to relocate from the fleshpots of Dubai to Riyadh. Is it possible to villa share in one of the Western orientated compounds, if so, how would I go about doing it?

I've been quoted some pretty big numbers for 1 bed apartments by some compounds. If I don't end up on a compound then what are my alternative options and are there security issues I should know about living in standard city accommodation?

I'd be grateful for any info, most of the stuff online seems very dated.

Thanks to all

G.

First of all, your employer must provide you with an accommodation under the law here in KSA..

Did you discuss the matter with the one concern in your company??? if you are looking to save money then living out of compound would be less expensive obviously..

I send you a message if you can check it!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:55 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

As a westerner, I would not suggest living outside a compound.

Besides the security risks, you will find you social life will be significantly different to that in a compound which is a lot freer as well as having the social benefits of being around other western expats.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Originally Posted by NaimTakieddin
First of all, your employer must provide you with an accommodation under the law here in KSA..

Did you discuss the matter with the one concern in your company??? if you are looking to save money then living out of compound would be less expensive obviously..

I send you a message if you can check it!
I hear this a lot but my employer is a Saudi Company and they are not interested in helping me with accomodation. They give me an allowance and I can stay wherever I can find a place.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:09 am
Just Joined

mindmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by prwatts
I hear this a lot but my employer is a Saudi Company and they are not interested in helping me with accomodation. They give me an allowance and I can stay wherever I can find a place.
they are suppose to assist you in you accommodation not paying you allowance.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

A number of companies will just give you the money and let you find your own way.
Yes they will put you in a hotel for a couple of weeks first, but then you are out on your own.
Places within compounds here in Riyadh are like Rocking horse sh$t !!!!
very hard to find.
Yes some companies do have deals with the compand mamagers some of the smaller ones do not.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

maximuss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by los merengues
Hi,

I'm moving out of my 1 bedroom flat in rotunda compound by next month or so. PM me if interested.

Cheers,
i am interested in apartment as im moving to riyadfh soon, can you let me how much and what it includes

Thanks
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:02 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prwatts
Yep - that's right. There is no such law that the employer has to provide you with accommodation. I don't actually think they have to even provide you with an allowance, but I've never heard of one that doesn't.

I wouldn't recommend living outside of a compound if you want to have a social life that isn't limited to watching TV on your own every evening, but from a security perspective I don't think it is actually as dangerous as some people will make out. There are a lot of nervous people around who see only bad people trying to get them.

However, I chose to live in Bahrain and commute across the causeway every day to avoid living in Saudi so perhaps my word doesn't count. Mainly due to my family though, when I was on my own I stayed in Khobar and it was fine...
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

los merengues is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maximuss
i am interested in apartment as im moving to riyadfh soon, can you let me how much and what it includes

Thanks
the price is 42k per annum and that includes basic furniture(Sofa, bed, wardrobe, fridge, and gas stove) so you dont have to worry about that either......u only pay for electricity which comes up to 50 riyals per month
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough

It `s very funny thing makes me laugh increasingly to see this guy posting one thread and disappears forever...

In similar cases; we figured out some local dudes would like to share accommodations with foreigners...

hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

melb_ksa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NaimTakieddin
Which law is that? They must give you accommodation allowance, not provide accommodation.
A lot of companies just give you a lump-sum and then break it down into various allowances in your contract.