Moving to Qatar

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Willie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really nice
Default Moving to Qatar

Could be getting the chance to move to Qatar and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are a lot of western expats there? and what the social side of things is like in comparison to Dubai.What the living standards are like ie is it generally on compounds or apartments and is there any hostility between locals and expats, my wife has heard a few stories of this happening.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 1:51 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Qatar

Originally Posted by Willie Peden
Could be getting the chance to move to Qatar and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are a lot of western expats there? and what the social side of things is like in comparison to Dubai.What the living standards are like ie is it generally on compounds or apartments and is there any hostility between locals and expats, my wife has heard a few stories of this happening.
Yes a lot of western expats and soooo many more are coming. Social life is very good if u have the right friends. Prob nothing compared to Dubai as Dubai bigger and many more places to go to but theres still a load of restos and a couple of bars to go to. A lot of parties and bbqs in friends houses. Locals are friendly yes. They just like to keep to themselves. If ure the sociable tyupe u wont have any probs. Doha is growing fast and theres construction everywhere. All in all it isnt that bad but I repeat nothing compared to Dubai. Totally different situation. But not at all bad

Dont believe everything u hear!! U tend to meet ppl who complain and moan about everything and others who dont. I guess u find these ppl everywhere and not just in Doha
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Willie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really niceWillie Peden is just really nice

Originally Posted by Malteser
Yes a lot of western expats and soooo many more are coming. Social life is very good if u have the right friends. Prob nothing compared to Dubai as Dubai bigger and many more places to go to but theres still a load of restos and a couple of bars to go to. A lot of parties and bbqs in friends houses. Locals are friendly yes. They just like to keep to themselves. If ure the sociable tyupe u wont have any probs. Doha is growing fast and theres construction everywhere. All in all it isnt that bad but I repeat nothing compared to Dubai. Totally different situation. But not at all bad

Dont believe everything u hear!! U tend to meet ppl who complain and moan about everything and others who dont. I guess u find these ppl everywhere and not just in Doha
Hi Malteser
Thanks for all the info, sounds like Qatar is an okay sort of place, as you say ppl will be ppl the world over, it would be Doha we would be moving to, so thanks again.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:16 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Malteser
Thanks for all the info, sounds like Qatar is an okay sort of place, as you say ppl will be ppl the world over, it would be Doha we would be moving to, so thanks again.
Yeah tisnt bad honestly. Still has that laid back feeling which we really like so far and its also more middle eastern unlike Dubai where u rarely see the locals.

Shall pm u my email maybe the wife wants to ask any questions. I know wots its like. Been there done that and appreciated the help I got from ppl who were already living here and answered my questions
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Cymroynarabia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Which part of Qatar are you moving to?
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cymroynarabia
Hi
Which part of Qatar are you moving to?
If all goes to plan it will be Doha where we will be moving to.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

If all goes to plan it will be Doha where we will be moving to.
You should be fine its a reasonable sized city (600,000) a few good malls (City center is particularly good) if you want to take a trip back in time the souqs (or market are also a good place to pick a bargain). The local are very very proud of being Arabs (as they should be) but also very polite and welcoming. There is one exception how ever - the roads - driving standards are a bit different to back home - Its not unheard of to find two 12 year olds racing each other down the north road at 1:00 AM in huge Land cruisers.
I Live in Al Khor a town some 45 min north of Doha and can quite honestly say its a great place for me to bring up my children (though if I was a teenager it would drive me insane).
Other places to check out are the inland sea, the rugby club (just like every rugby club Ive ever visited), the golf club and the international sporting events held here.

Hope this help
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

You should be fine its a reasonable sized city (600,000) a few good malls (City center is particularly good) if you want to take a trip back in time the souqs (or market are also a good place to pick a bargain). The local are very very proud of being Arabs (as they should be) but also very polite and welcoming. There is one exception how ever - the roads - driving standards are a bit different to back home - Its not unheard of to find two 12 year olds racing each other down the north road at 1:00 AM in huge Land cruisers.
I Live in Al Khor a town some 45 min north of Doha and can quite honestly say its a great place for me to bring up my children (though if I was a teenager it would drive me insane).
Other places to check out are the inland sea, the rugby club (just like every rugby club Ive ever visited), the golf club and the international sporting events held here.

Hope this help
Sorry meant HELPS currently a through a bottle and a half of wine and having communicate in a heathen Teutonic language.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Hope this help
Hi There,
Thanks for giving me some inside info, I am presently in Dubai and have worked in Saudi so the driving will not bother me too much, was interested in cost of renting accomodation, say two bedroom place? Take it the cost of living will be similar to Dubai.
Thanks again
Willie
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:22 am
Melts in your Mouth

Hi There,
Thanks for giving me some inside info, I am presently in Dubai and have worked in Saudi so the driving will not bother me too much, was interested in cost of renting accomodation, say two bedroom place? Take it the cost of living will be similar to Dubai.
Thanks again
Willie
Yes rents are very very high. Unbelievable really. Theres a big question mark to whats gonna happen after the Asian Games due to the fact that a lot of compounds/villas/apartments are going to be empty. Will the Landlords put down the rent or not??

Will have to wait and see wot happens...
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:21 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes rents are very very high. Unbelievable really. Theres a big question mark to whats gonna happen after the Asian Games due to the fact that a lot of compounds/villas/apartments are going to be empty. Will the Landlords put down the rent or not??

hv u got your house sorted? when u have to start looking around?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that info, I think?? Will have to take that into consideration when job offer details are being ironed out then.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by novita77
hv u got your house sorted? when u have to start looking around?
House not sorted out yet, job offer not finalised yet. Thanks
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

For a 2 bed apt, dont count on less than 9-10k, at the moment anyway.

Villas start at 15k, everything is upwards from there as you add furnishings, compounds etc etc.

Does depend on location and state of the place to some extent like anywhere.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

ADSL, phone and basic TV comes in at 600 a month.
Our mobiles go thro about 100 a month.
Water/Elec 300-500 a month.
Car rental 1900
Expat brand food and goods are bloody extortionate, certainly more than Dbx.
Eating out is very reasonable if you stay away from the hotels.

If you want costs of anything specific just ask.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.