Reload this Page >

Moving & Nursing in Abu Dhabi

Moving & Nursing in Abu Dhabi

Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

KateSkate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving & Nursing in Abu Dhabi

Hi All,

I'm really sorry, there's probably hundreds of posts like this but I couldn't find one that answered all of my questions!

My husband has just been offered a great (or at least we think it's great!) package in Abu Dhabi and we're planning on moving there as soon as we can.

We're from the UK and I work as an A&E nurse. I'd quite like to work whilst we're out there and continue with my professional development but most nurses I see making posts on here have gone through an agency. My visa is being sorted through my husband's offer so I don't need an agency to arrange that for me. I was just wondering what the best way of going about looking for work for me would be? Would it still be best to use an agency? If so, which one? Also, what is working in the A&E departments of AD like? I'm expecting a pretty big change to the UK but was just wondering of anyone could explain how big of a change?!

We also have a dog which we would like to bring with us, what is being a dog owner in AD like?

Sorry if these questions sound a bit stupid, I'm just absolutely clueless about the whole thing!!

Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:45 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving & Nursing in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by KateSkate
... most nurses I see making posts on here have gone through an agency.

...Also, what is working in the A&E departments of AD like? I'm expecting a pretty big change to the UK but was just wondering of anyone could explain how big of a change?!

We also have a dog which we would like to bring with us, what is being a dog owner in AD like?
If most people go through an agency there's probably a good reason - but you could try contacting the hospitals directly, there aren't very many to choose from. Hospitals here are not much different from hospitals in the UK, generally newer and in my experience here most nursing staff are from the Philippines so pay may not be good.

Dogs - shouldn't be a problem, many people have them, though I guess it may restrict where you can live as some landlords may not allow it. With the exception of salukis Arabs generally think dogs are vile animals and some of them are arsey about it.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:46 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Though expect to deal with a lot more RTAs here than at home!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much. Just trying to get a general feel for things over there. Have never been but hubby has. What are the main hospitals there? My husband is going to be based in the between two bridges area, any idea which hospital is closest to there and where round there would be quite a nice area to live? Thanks again.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much. Just trying to get a general feel for things over there. Have never been but hubby has. What are the main hospitals there? My husband is going to be based in the between two bridges area, any idea which hospital is closest to there and where round there would be quite a nice area to live? Thanks again.
there is a seha clinic at between the bridges, they are building a new hospital just across the main road in officers city, childrens hospital i think. otherwise it would be the new al noor situated about 5 mins away, you have mafraq hospital from btb will be 10 mins or so when the new junction is finished, up the road there is a hospital at rahba again prob 10 mins or so up the road towards dubai.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! Will start taking a look at them.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:01 am
Just Joined

schulz is on a distinguished road

Hey Kate,
If the UAE is anything like Saudi your pay will be based on your education, years of experience, and the country your from. So a nurse from the Philippians will make much less than you from my understanding. U.S. and UK are on the top of the pay scales.
I am new to all this so take what I say with a grain of salt, its just what I have seen so far. I am an american Paramedic.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Birdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to allBirdeez is a name known to all

Have a look at the Sheikh Khalifa Hospital as well (run by the Cleveland Clinic I think). Lots of expat nurses working there and some I know say it's very good, although I think the whole recruitment process is not fantastic. Good luck!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for all of that. I've been looking at the Kalifa Medical City which seems quite nice and seems to have a large A&E department. We're planning a trip out there in a few weeks so I can vaguely know the place when we eventually move there!!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for all of that. I've been looking at the Kalifa Medical City which seems quite nice and seems to have a large A&E department. We're planning a trip out there in a few weeks so I can vaguely know the place when we eventually move there!!
skmc or sheikh khalifa medical city is one and the same.