Moving to Muscat

Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Sam985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Muscat

Hi.

I might move and work in Muscat. Can anyone who is living there currently (or have lived there before) advice me if it is a good idea to work and live there? What are some likes and dislikes that you have experienced or are experiencing in Oman?

Thank you.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:31 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Muscat

Substitute the word London for Muscat and then re-read your questions.
Tell us what job you think you will be doing, what salary you earn (so we can judge if you will have a sh*t time or awesome time), where you will be based, if you have family with you or not, what kind of things you like to do, and so on.
For example, I wouldn't recommend someone who likes tropical scuba diving to live and work in Kings Cross.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Sam985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I still don't have any offer. I am just asking about people there, life, safeness, what can someone do, people of the country, is it booming, is it good to raise a family there, can woman feel relaxed.... Also what are the things that you (or people who lived there) didn't like in Muscat?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam985
Hi. I still don't have any offer. I am just asking about people there, life, safeness, what can someone do, people of the country, is it booming, is it good to raise a family there, can woman feel relaxed.... Also what are the things that you (or people who lived there) didn't like in Muscat?
Muscat is known as Sleepy Hollow elsewhere in the Gulf. Does that answer your question?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:08 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Muscat is known as Sleepy Hollow elsewhere in the Gulf. Does that answer your question?
and some of us like it like that. it's got hills, and topography, and rock, and not much sand, and the sea (without sewage pollution) and dolphins and whale sharks and kite surfing, but not many "decent" malls, it's more expensive than Dubai, the houses are smaller and older than Dubai but there's only one highway, the cinemas are small and limited showings, not many restaurants, plenty of costas, women are as safe as anywhere, but remember Muscat is conservative, Muscat never booms and never will it just quietly expands, there's not much I don't like but after years in the same place sometimes you need a change and that's not necessarily a reflection on a place
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
and some of us like it like that. it's got hills, and topography, and rock, and not much sand, and the sea (without sewage pollution) and dolphins and whale sharks and kite surfing, but not many "decent" malls, it's more expensive than Dubai, the houses are smaller and older than Dubai but there's only one highway, the cinemas are small and limited showings, not many restaurants, plenty of costas, women are as safe as anywhere, but remember Muscat is conservative, Muscat never booms and never will it just quietly expands, there's not much I don't like but after years in the same place sometimes you need a change and that's not necessarily a reflection on a place
Hey! I lived there for five years, and it is the place I'd go back to like a shot. The thing is though, compared to Dubai it's small and quiet. Some people like that. I did.