Moving at last

Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently living in Wrexham North Wales, UK but soon to move to Dubai with work.
AndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to all
Talking Moving at last

Hi all,

Finally got the nod for our move to Dubai, looks like we will be flying out either Friday/Saturday/Sunday next week. looking forward to the move and to catching up with you guys and gals for a drink to say hello.

Andy
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

annann is just really niceannann is just really niceannann is just really niceannann is just really niceannann is just really niceannann is just really niceannann is just really niceannann is just really niceannann is just really niceannann is just really nice
Default Re: Moving at last

So, do you have a date.h
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently living in Wrexham North Wales, UK but soon to move to Dubai with work.
AndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to allAndyB123 is a name known to all
Talking Re: Moving at last

Some were around the 8th, 9th or 10th February out of Manchester.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point

Am happy for you mate.

It sounds like you went through quite a bit to make the move ... can you shed some lights on advice you may pass onto others if they were to do what you did ?

Thanks and good luck !
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

hi nudda,

one thing for sure is to really go over all the figures relating to salary, housing and car allowance, I had to have about three bites of the cheery before I got what I hope to be a reasonable package. Because of the nature of my role I had no other models to base my figures on. I am not in banking, law or IT which seems to be the main professions represented on here. I have not yet come accross many Analytical Chemists as yet with whom to compare my deal.

All in all its been pretty scarry with not even ever been to Dubai so am comming over blind as it were.

But from what I see and read on here it should go well I hope. Have not come accross anything that really stands out as a major problem, although am sure I'll hit a few along the way.

Cheers,

Andy
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyB123
Hi all,

Finally got the nod for our move to Dubai, looks like we will be flying out either Friday/Saturday/Sunday next week. looking forward to the move and to catching up with you guys and gals for a drink to say hello.

Andy
ohhh...you'll be here in time for the quiz night then...

MM, xx
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Another person moving out without even having visited?

I am amazed that people can make such life changing decisions without having investigated. Incredible.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:24 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Another person moving out without even having visited?

I am amazed that people can make such life changing decisions without having investigated. Incredible.
I agree...but then I like to be prepared...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I agree...but then I like to be prepared...
Common sense, I'd have thought. Especially with a family.

Anyone who doesn't check things out is likely to be rather disappointed when faced with the reality of poor quality housing/dreadful traffic/the banality of certain 'expat' areas/etc...
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Andy.
Moving without ever been is quite a big step though in my opinion ... especially if you are custom to the UK/US ... things are quite different there in many respects.

But if you are confident then the risk of compatability is there to be taken.
Wish you all the best!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving at last

Hi Guys,

Whilst we are moving over without not ever having set a foot in Dubai, we are moving over with the aid of a good company and friends within the company. The job was arranged with the help of an old friend from some years back we just kind of lost contact for a few years.

So although it is going to be a big step and possibly a major shock to the system, it wont be the first time. I have worked abroad on extensive periods and in some pretty poor places too, the worst being Bulgaria in a little place called Borgas (before you jump down my throat, I know its probably not spelt that way, but hey am only a doctor so trust me its the only way I know how to spell it), that was pretty grim at the time.

On the subject of quiz night would love to join you all for that sounds like fun, so were and when is this great night out.

Cheers,

Andy
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Whilst we are moving over without not ever having set a foot in Dubai, we are moving over with the aid of a good company and friends within the company. The job was arranged with the help of an old friend from some years back we just kind of lost contact for a few years.

So although it is going to be a big step and possibly a major shock to the system, it wont be the first time. I have worked abroad on extensive periods and in some pretty poor places too, the worst being Bulgaria in a little place called Borgas (before you jump down my throat, I know its probably not spelt that way, but hey am only a doctor so trust me its the only way I know how to spell it), that was pretty grim at the time.

On the subject of quiz night would love to join you all for that sounds like fun, so were and when is this great night out.

Cheers,

Andy
Bourgas can't have been that bad. Must have been quite nice around there in the summer.

I've also moved to a nuber of countries/cities without really checking them out. I don't think thats its the city that needs to be really checked out as much as the employer!

The quiz is Monday nights, 8pm at the Aussie Legends Bar in Satwa

Good luck with the move
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

AlishaA is an unknown quantity at this point

hi nudda,

one thing for sure is to really go over all the figures relating to salary, housing and car allowance, I had to have about three bites of the cheery before I got what I hope to be a reasonable package. Because of the nature of my role I had no other models to base my figures on. I am not in banking, law or IT which seems to be the main professions represented on here. I have not yet come accross many Analytical Chemists as yet with whom to compare my deal.

All in all its been pretty scarry with not even ever been to Dubai so am comming over blind as it were.

But from what I see and read on here it should go well I hope. Have not come accross anything that really stands out as a major problem, although am sure I'll hit a few along the way.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy- I am in the process of negotiating a salary too. I have received AED 7,500 as a basic and a housing allowance of AED 65,000 and car allowance of Aed 1000. I am a single girl travelling alone. I don't know how to even start negotiating. I have done research and with my age and experience in my industry, a fair basic is worth around Dhs 8.500/9000 and housing allowance is what they have given me as i refused to live in staff accommodation. Any tips/advice you can offer would be great help...!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alisha,
with a budget of 65K you are really going to struggle unless you are willing to share accomodation. I would suggest finding a shared villa in Mirdiff (not strictly legal to do so but lots of people do). Otherwise you will have to renegotiate a bit.

Make sure they pay your allowance up front as you will have pay 6 months rent in advance.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:22 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlishaA
Hi Andy- I am in the process of negotiating a salary too. I have received AED 7,500 as a basic and a housing allowance of AED 65,000 and car allowance of Aed 1000. I am a single girl travelling alone. I don't know how to even start negotiating. I have done research and with my age and experience in my industry, a fair basic is worth around Dhs 8.500/9000 and housing allowance is what they have given me as i refused to live in staff accommodation. Any tips/advice you can offer would be great help...!
way too low!!! you will struggle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.