Moving to Khobar

Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

SaudiSarah is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to Khobar

Hey All,

Ive just accepted a job for September at the British International School of Al Khobar. I'm really excited about my new adventure, but also nervous as I am moving completely on my own and have no idea what to expect from life in Saudi!!

Can anybody give me any info about the Oasis Gardens compound?

Thanks,

Sarah
Old Mar 8th 2012, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

billyiever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Khobar

Hi Sarah,

My Wife and I lived there in 2007. My wife also worked at the school. She was very happy working there at the time. School on compound, early start so good news that you can just walk to work. Tennis courts, gyms, track, playing fields, shop, restaurant, food delivery etc all there. It was the best compound in Al Khobar at the time. You will have to adapt to security, guns, abaya, lack of freedom etc, but will be a lot of other expats in the same boat and everyone usually very welcoming. Good luck!!

Originally Posted by SaudiSarah
Hey All,

Ive just accepted a job for September at the British International School of Al Khobar. I'm really excited about my new adventure, but also nervous as I am moving completely on my own and have no idea what to expect from life in Saudi!!

Thanks,

Sarah
Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.

I have heard conflicting info about wearing the Abaya - does it have to be worn on the compound as well as out of the compound?
Old Mar 10th 2012, 10:20 am
Just Joined

billyiever is an unknown quantity at this point

Just off the compound. Although there is a road through the compound between the different areas that might be needed but don't think so.
Thanks for your reply.

I have heard conflicting info about wearing the Abaya - does it have to be worn on the compound as well as out of the compound?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:27 am
Just Joined

davidg2224 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah,

I've just accepted a job with BISAK too starting in September, just started my visa application procedure.

Nice to see someone else in the same situation as me!

David
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidg2224
Nice to see someone else in the same situation as me!
Your worried if you need an abyia or niqab ?
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Mbmiller1956 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey All,

Thanks,

Sarah
Hello Sarah, Just moved to Al-khobar, moving to Oasis....can you give me any pointers?
Thanks,
Monte
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mbmiller1956
Hello Sarah, Just moved to Al-khobar, moving to Oasis....can you give me any pointers?
Thanks,
Monte
Life here is great!! I'm really really enjoying it!! What kind of things do you want to know??
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I worked at KFUPM in Dhahran before retiring in 2011, and know Khobar quite well.

Some Western woimen do not wear the abaya when downtown but you may feel that is a mistake. It sends out a message that may be misinterpreted.

ARAMCO is a dominant influence in Khbar, although it is in neighbouring town of Dhahran.. Lots of activities within ARAMCO but it can be difficult to get access.

Lots of shopping in Khobar and Dammam. New shopping malls are taking over from the traditional markets and shops. Rashid Mall is still one of the busiest ones, although now 20+ years old.

Some go over to Bahrain for a day out and access to legal alcohol. Be aware that a State of Emergency may still exist in Bahrain and civil strife is never far away. Access to Bahrain by Causeway is easy and fast - unless you go in the rush hour ! Taxis available, and buses which are quick and reliable.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Life here is great!! I'm really really enjoying it!! What kind of things do you want to know??
There is so much I would like to know...I have been for two weeks and still things are crazy, I hope to moving in at the end of the month. So I will need to figure out about internet, TV, etc.....things to do at the compound, how to mail letters, ...so much.lol
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Pm me if you have specific questions. Mailing letters is easy - go to the post office. Women go to the front of the queue. There is a post office in downtown khobar.

Letters should be written in US fashion with recipient's address in the middle and address of sender at top left

To receive mail you need a PO Box and can probably use the one at the school. If you want your own you can rent one at the Post Office but then you have to go and collect the mail.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Scott, Thanks for getting back with me so quick. I'm new to this site could you please tell me what "PM" I dont see any link for that. I have drove just a small amount, back and forth to work and to the Malls in Al-khobar malls. I hoping to get moved in to the Oasis first of Feb. The apartment should be completed. I try to look for post offices as I drive by as you know it is crazy to just look around while driving. Thanks for you help!

Monte Miller
Old Jan 19th 2013, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PM is Personal Message. Click on my name and you will see the options.

Various post offices downtown. The big one is on Dhahran Street which is the main street at right angles from the Corniche. Ask your colleagues. I NEVER drove in Khobar. I used taxis.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Park your car downtown in the area north of Dharan Street and wander about the area from 1st, 2nd, 3rd street. Ask any Filipino or Indian where the post office is

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-map-488134-map_of_al_khobar-i

In that area try a coffee in the HAMAD HOTEL in King Abdelaziz Street. Does not close over prayer time so you can use that as a base for a shopping trip.

You will probably find Sidney Greenstreet and other characters from 1940 movies in there. Like a Graham Greene novel.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Kuwaitteacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone working at the British International School of Al Khobar help? We are a teaching couple, aged 42 and 53 (English and Business/Economics) with many years of teaching experience. We will have one son who is in Year 6 this year. We are living in Kuwait but feel it's now time to consider moving on. My questions are these: Does the school prefer singletons, couples or families? When is the best time to apply? What is school accommodation like for families? What is it like living in Saudi for women? Is the school co-educational?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.