Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving house - how does it work?

Moving house - how does it work?

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving house - how does it work?

Ok, I think I have a chicken and egg situation. We all know who came first, but the issue I have is identifying the chicken and the egg.

Basically, I have a letter from Green Emirates saying that I have to give the clearance certificate from ADDC one week before I will be given the clearance certificate to allow me to take all of my IKEA crap out of the flat.

Now here is the rub. I've just been to ADDC and they have told me that I can get a clearance certificate on the spot but they will send a man around to cut me off that day.

So what gives? Do I just hope ADDC will be inefficient and not cut me off, or is it showers by the pool, takeaways and early nights for a week. Last time that happened we ended up with a kid, don't want that happening again.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving house - how does it work?

the addc will come around and do the clearance if you give them enough notice ie before 4 or something day before, and they will read the meter, but they will cut you off straight away. just make sure that you pay the final bill in cash, as if you pay in cheque you have to wait 14 days for the cheque to be verified and cashed and so then liable for more rent etc.

but its like the fact that you have a foreign driving licence but when you get your visa you cannot drive on your foreign driving licence you need to go and exchange, so in theory you must take a taxi etc up to the traffic dept to exchange, technically you cannot drive at that point.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

This isn't addressing your issue but the thread was moving house.

I just moved this past weekend. It was fine except for one thing - the apartment wasn't cleaned when I was repeatedly promised it would be. Since the flat hasn't been occupied in about two months it was rather dusty and the movers had to move all my ikea crap into the middle of a dust bowl.

I spent half the day on the phone shouting at the realtor who kept making vague promises and said he'd send a maid over by X time but wanted me to pay for them and when I asked when he'd be able to come over to reimburse me, he hung up.

Took the hint, it ain't gonna happen. The cheques been cashed, I ain't seeing the Pakistani dude anytime soon. So spent most of the weekend scrubbing my fingers raw, but the place is now in tip top shape.

So - sort out the cleaning of your new villa before you move in. Moving your crap into a dusty/dirty place is a pain because it makes a thorough cleaning a real *****ing pain if you have to move around furniture and rugs and boxes while the cat is mewing and clawing your legs because he's in a strange new place.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ethos83
This isn't addressing your issue but the thread was moving house.

I just moved this past weekend. It was fine except for one thing - the apartment wasn't cleaned when I was repeatedly promised it would be. Since the flat hasn't been occupied in about two months it was rather dusty and the movers had to move all my ikea crap into the middle of a dust bowl.

I spent half the day on the phone shouting at the realtor who kept making vague promises and said he'd send a maid over by X time but wanted me to pay for them and when I asked when he'd be able to come over to reimburse me, he hung up.

Took the hint, it ain't gonna happen. The cheques been cashed, I ain't seeing the Pakistani dude anytime soon. So spent most of the weekend scrubbing my fingers raw, but the place is now in tip top shape.

So - sort out the cleaning of your new villa before you move in. Moving your crap into a dusty/dirty place is a pain because it makes a thorough cleaning a real *****ing pain if you have to move around furniture and rugs and boxes while the cat is mewing and clawing your legs because he's in a strange new place.

Some people I know only paid the agent half his fee at the lease signing, he got the rest once they moved into the place and it was clean and everything worked!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Some people I know only paid the agent half his fee at the lease signing, he got the rest once they moved into the place and it was clean and everything worked!
he maybe waiting a while then if you wait for everything to work
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

we didnt pay the agent anything until after we moved in because all they did was show us one house, then we had to go to the bank to sort out the contracts and pay more money with them etc so the original agents had to wait.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by busybee2
he maybe waiting a while then if you wait for everything to work
Indeed, but it certainly kept their agent focused!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Sigh. Should have thought of that.

I'm thinking of filing a complaint at RERA when I go down to register my contract. I have the SMS messages we exchanged that includes his promises to have the flat cleaned.

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Indeed, but it certainly kept their agent focused!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hijack your thread but.....

Looking for any help/advice regarding a 1-bed apartment which I need urgently ie Sept 4. My current LL has been messing around for weeks on my renewal and has just declined to renew so I need to find somewhere quick.

Looking for Downtown, Greens, Marina - any suggestions on properties and/or agents?

Maybe short term serviced apartment immediately?

Thanks.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:16 am
Account Closed

Just prowl through Dubizzle.

There's a virtue to going with one of the major agencies such as Better Homes, but their listings are always 10-20% more expensive than identical apartments listed by the minor agents.

It's ok to go with an anonymous agent. Just make sure they show you their RERA registration card, and when you make an offer on an apartment, be sure to see a copy of the owner's property records and ownership proof.

Plus - based on my experience, don't pay the agent anything until you've moved in and are happy with the state of the apartment, including DEWA hook up and cleaning.

Last bit - I had put out several offers and were able to bargain downwards in my favour. There are loads of apartments for rent and I was able to knock 10% off the asking rent of the apartments I looked at, which were already at the cheaper end of the asking prices for similar units.

Originally Posted by Sessou
Sorry to hijack your thread but.....

Looking for any help/advice regarding a 1-bed apartment which I need urgently ie Sept 4. My current LL has been messing around for weeks on my renewal and has just declined to renew so I need to find somewhere quick.

Looking for Downtown, Greens, Marina - any suggestions on properties and/or agents?

Maybe short term serviced apartment immediately?

Thanks.