Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai to work, tax on british income?

Moving to Dubai to work, tax on british income?

Old Jul 1st 2022, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

8900120d is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Moving to Dubai to work, tax on british income?

Hi guys,
Im new to all of the accounting stuff (never understood it). I will be moving to Dubai soon and will mostly be working remotely ( freelance Software Dev).
Ive registered a company in Dubai and will be getting paid into a Dubai bank account, all accounting/Tax, etc will be handled by Dubai based accountants.

I own a property in the UK which i am earning rental income from, the rent will cover the mortgage repayments. Do i have to declare myself a non-resident landlord? ive read about a UK-UAE double tax treaty, will that affect me?

It would be great if someone can explain (in leymans terms) what the double tax treaty is and how it benefits us.

If anyone else has been in a similar situation to me, it would be great to know what you did about your UK income.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 2nd 2022, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mittdee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Dubai to work, tax on british income?

Originally Posted by 8900120d
Hi guys,
Im new to all of the accounting stuff (never understood it). I will be moving to Dubai soon and will mostly be working remotely ( freelance Software Dev).
Ive registered a company in Dubai and will be getting paid into a Dubai bank account, all accounting/Tax, etc will be handled by Dubai based accountants.

I own a property in the UK which i am earning rental income from, the rent will cover the mortgage repayments. Do i have to declare myself a non-resident landlord? ive read about a UK-UAE double tax treaty, will that affect me?

It would be great if someone can explain (in leymans terms) what the double tax treaty is and how it benefits us.

If anyone else has been in a similar situation to me, it would be great to know what you did about your UK income.

Thank you in advance!
Hi,

You will pay UK income tax on your rental income from UK property. For other income to be taxed in UK, you need to check the residence criteria, however if you aren't in UK more than 90 days in any FY, you do not need to pay income tax. This is as per my knowledge.
Filling NRL1 is an application, which if accepted (generally accepted by HMRC), HMRC will send a letter of approval to your estate agent. If NRL1 application isn't granted, estate agent will pay the rent to you after deducting the income tax.
You still need to file Self Assessment, in which you can declare your rental income & reduce allowable expenses.
Hope you know, if your property has mortgage, you need consent to lease from your lender.
Hope this helps.
MD

Old Jul 4th 2022, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-test-srt-rdr3
You want to (ideally) qualify for one or more of the automatic overseas tests. Otherwise it gets more complicated
Old Jul 4th 2022, 7:24 am
Just Joined

8900120d is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies! very informative. I was wondering if i should be doing the overseas test and filling the NRL1 application now or do i have to do it after ive been out of the UK for 90days?
Old Jul 4th 2022, 11:28 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Hi 8900120d,

The area of residence is complex and it is very important that it is handled correctly in order to protect your liability to income and capital gains tax.

HMRC's literature on this is in excess of 100 pages for a reason and many feel the consequences of this at a later stage from HMRC when not handled correctly, sometimes years later!

Unless you have the necessary knowledge in this area you should seek professional advice.