Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai soon...

Moving to Dubai soon...

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 5:53 am
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of
Smile Moving to Dubai soon...

Hi everyone !!!

I'll be moving to dubai soon, but have some questions for the expats overthere.

1. The ticket from Europe to the UAE, is that normally paid by the employer, or do I consider it to be paid by me?

2. Housing, is it easy to rent an apartment in Dubai? Or is this arranged by the employer?

3. If yes, is the rent "all in", or does gas, water and electriicity need to be paid seperately? Or is this arranged by the employer?

3. What's better, take a medical insurrance in Europe, or arrange it locally?

4. What's better, open a bank account in Dubai, or change my current account into a non resident account?

Frans
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 7:09 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai soon...

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
Hi everyone !!!

1. The ticket from Europe to the UAE, is that normally paid by the employer, or do I consider it to be paid by me?

2. Housing, is it easy to rent an apartment in Dubai? Or is this arranged by the employer?

3. If yes, is the rent "all in", or does gas, water and electriicity need to be paid seperately? Or is this arranged by the employer?

3. What's better, take a medical insurrance in Europe, or arrange it locally?

4. What's better, open a bank account in Dubai, or change my current account into a non resident account?
Frans

Welcome to the forum Frans .... Take a look at the FAQ's there is alot of info there that will help you, if there is advice you need and its not there then ask away.

Heart
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

johnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nice

Frans, as Heart say's read the FAQ's if it's answered in there post it in here and you will be avalanced with replies, dates and drinks
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 10:35 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
Hi everyone !!!

4.What's better, take a medical insurrance in Europe, or arrange it locally?

5. What's better, open a bank account in Dubai, or change my current account into a non resident account?

Frans
Hi Frans........ those r some very specific q's. Like the others sed, the FAQ's may prove to b very useful.

I will try and answer some of them:

1) Depends on ur contract........ most employers have a travel allowance, which gives u (and sometimes ur family) a return ticket to ur home nation once a year.

2) Unless ur company has its own staff housing complex, u have to find ur own place.

3) Again depends on the contract........ u may have to pay the utilities urself.

4) Local medical insurance, in my opinion makes more sense as u will be in Dubai.... others may think differently. Local insurance does have the benefit of allowing u to pay reduced fees for all ur medical needs at private hospitals. I dunno if the same is true for overseas medical insurance.

5) All depends on u........ depends if ur current bank has a branch in Dubai really. Guess it would be best to open a Dubai bank account as u will be based in Dubai once u move out.

Hope that helps.