Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai - Accountant

Moving to Dubai - Accountant

Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:07 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Chesterfield, England
Posts: 1
AGRATTON is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai - Accountant

Good evening all

I am a 26 year old accountant currently living in the UK (I am a UK citizen).

I have spent many hours reading through the threads on this site and it appears to be extremely useful and informative.

My main concern is my area of expertise. If there are any accountants / finance professionals reading this your advice would be appreciated! What is the market like out there at the moment, is it realistic for me to expect to even be offered a good finance job over there? I worked at PwC for 5 years and so have good big 4 experience. I now work in a FMCG company as a senior accountant.

Also my girlfriend is a midwife. It sounds like midwives are in demand in Dubai and so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Andy
AGRATTON is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:14 am
  #2  
You read these things?
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,261
auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - Accountant

Originally Posted by AGRATTON
Good evening all

I am a 26 year old accountant currently living in the UK (I am a UK citizen).

I have spent many hours reading through the threads on this site and it appears to be extremely useful and informative.

My main concern is my area of expertise. If there are any accountants / finance professionals reading this your advice would be appreciated! What is the market like out there at the moment, is it realistic for me to expect to even be offered a good finance job over there? I worked at PwC for 5 years and so have good big 4 experience. I now work in a FMCG company as a senior accountant.

Also my girlfriend is a midwife. It sounds like midwives are in demand in Dubai and so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Andy
Base level accountant jobs are usually taken up by Indians and Pakistani's, who are paid peanuts to do them.

However, from the sounds of things you have big four experience. PwC and Ernst and Young have presences out here. It might be worth seeing if you know anyone at those companies to see what the pay is like and what the opportunities out here are.
auzdafluff is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:35 am
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,887
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - Accountant

If you are still working in audit then it will be a tough ride.

But, all of the big 4 are here in one form or another. Dubai is still a very tough market - and Abu Dhabi is treading the same path.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2012, 10:14 am
  #4  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,713
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - Accountant

Info on accounting salaries here:

http://www.emirates247.com/business/...03-18-1.448889
Meow is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:00 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,843
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - Accountant

i'd say stay put in the UK - over here companies tend to employ fully qualified accountants from the subcontinent (ie india, pakland, bangland etc) for literally a third (if not less) then what one would get back home in the UK or expect out here.

Also the top 4 firms ie PWC, Ernst Young, KPMG and D&T are all franchies out here and hence the work ethics are totally different - and from what i have witnessed, in particular with KPMG since they are our auditors out here, it's run by shoddy indians/pakistanis who's management skills are next to nothing!
mission is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:38 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,887
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - Accountant

Originally Posted by mission
i'd say stay put in the UK - over here companies tend to employ fully qualified accountants from the subcontinent (ie india, pakland, bangland etc) for literally a third (if not less) then what one would get back home in the UK or expect out here.

Also the top 4 firms ie PWC, Ernst Young, KPMG and D&T are all franchies out here and hence the work ethics are totally different - and from what i have witnessed, in particular with KPMG since they are our auditors out here, it's run by shoddy indians/pakistanis who's management skills are next to nothing!
PWC is no longer a franchaise and reports into the UK. They are attempting t turn it around. No idea if they have though...
Millhouse is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:55 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Debowing's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: RAK UAE
Posts: 487
Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - Accountant

I think you should fly over to Dubai for a week and have some meetings / interviews arranged...You will also get a feel for the place, but yes, the accounting posts are usually manned by sub-continentals who earn much less and can be quite qualified.
Debowing is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:33 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,843
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - Accountant

Originally Posted by Millhouse
PWC is no longer a franchaise and reports into the UK. They are attempting t turn it around. No idea if they have though...
we just finished our 2011 audit and it's still a franchise.
mission is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:12 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,887
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - Accountant

Originally Posted by mission
we just finished our 2011 audit and it's still a franchise.
that's odd - your previous post said it was KPMG.

Certainly PWC corporate finance is now in the UK. Not sure about the bean counters though.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:37 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
mission's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,843
mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai - Accountant

Originally Posted by Millhouse
that's odd - your previous post said it was KPMG.

Certainly PWC corporate finance is now in the UK. Not sure about the bean counters though.
oh sorry my bad - i was referring to KPMG - i don't know about PWC.
mission is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.