British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-dubai-832668/)

Sebkachoei1984 Apr 30th 2014 7:22 pm

Moving to Dubai

Hi all i am at the moment working in UK but they offered me a position to move to Dubai and i am bit worried and there are:
1- will i meet people there and i have lots of friends?
2- will i be able to party like i do in UK?
3- cost of living?
4- would the culture effect me?
5- how hard is to adopt myself to the place?

Many thanks in advance :)

Meow May 2nd 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Moving to Dubai

Originally Posted by Sebkachoei1984 (Post 11241267)
Hi all i am at the moment working in UK but they offered me a position to move to Dubai and i am bit worried and there are:
3- cost of living?

1. Yes if you leave your home & make an effort.
2. How do you 'party' right now?
3. There are numerous threads and even a sticky about this.
4. AFFECT you. How would we know as we know nothing about you?
5. Adopt yourself? You mean adapt to the place? That depends on you. It's easy for some, harder for others.

Suggest you do some research.

captainflack May 2nd 2014 4:08 pm

3- cost of living?

I left Dubai last year after 8 years, now in Portugal and I cannot understand how I spent 8 years in that place to be honest. It got worse the longer I stayed.

But I know some people who love it. Everyone is different, it depends on you.

Personally if you're young and want a place with opportunities and a fun life, go to the far east - china or taiwan. They like a drink too, and you can socialize with locals, including the girls, without getting deported or executed.

Sebkachoei1984 May 2nd 2014 5:47 pm

God i am not really getting Good vibes about the place am i am really.. some forum i read say good things and infact lots of good things and now i am hearing this make me think twice...

dont get me wrong Mewo i have been brought up with a muslim background but i have been living in UK since i have been 3 so understand the points i made and bit of help wouldnt go far..

CraigM May 2nd 2014 8:55 pm

1- YES
2- YES
3- You can live as well as you want to live here... Cheap or Expensive, it totally depends on what you want!
4- No
5- Dubai is the most western place in the MiddleEast!!

*What is the worst that can happen? You try it, don't like it, then go back to the UK????

Sebkachoei1984 May 3rd 2014 7:56 am

thank you craig.... i take it as you live there?

Meow May 3rd 2014 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sebkachoei1984 (Post 11243798)
God i am not really getting Good vibes about the place am i am really.. some forum i read say good things and infact lots of good things and now i am hearing this make me think twice...

dont get me wrong Mewo i have been brought up with a muslim background but i have been living in UK since i have been 3 so understand the points i made and bit of help wouldnt go far..

I answered your questions - which is more than most have done - but they are so very vague that it's impossible to be more precise.

:rolleyes:

kittycat1 May 3rd 2014 3:10 pm

Hi Seb,

[QUOTE]Hi all i am at the moment working in UK but they offered me a position to move to Dubai and i am bit worried and there are:
1- will i meet people there and i have lots of friends? if you put the effort in to go out and meet people then yes you meet people and build strong friendships- you have to meet a lot of people to build true friendships- I am sure all your current friends weren't met overnight so you have to meet as many as possible to meet the people you click with
2- will i be able to party like i do in UK?depends how you party- if it involves sticking a gramme up your nose everynight not so much, if you want to go out have a few drinks, bit of a shuffle on the dancefloor then yes and then some
3- cost of living? comparable to London living- all depends how you blow your money
4- would the culture effect me?yes in the fact that you need to be respectful to living in a strict muslim country, be discrete and you'll be fine, if you want the same life you currently have then stay there.
5- how hard is to adopt myself to the place?I found it hard and I still have a love hate relationship with the place, some love it immediately, some hate it, it really comes down to you and what you want from life as it's different for everyone
/QUOTE]

At the end of the day what have you got to lose? Take a chance I say as you never know- and if you hate it home hasnt gone anywhere.

KC

OleJanx May 3rd 2014 3:43 pm

3- cost of living?

Stay in Essex, you are so unreallistic that Dubai will eat you up and spit you out.

kittycat1 May 3rd 2014 4:58 pm

Janxy- why are you always so mean about Essex! :p:p:p

OleJanx May 3rd 2014 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11244639)
Janxy- why are you always so mean about Essex! :p:p:p

I have nothing against Essex- I hate everything, nothing personal...( I like Croyden very much)

kittycat1 May 3rd 2014 5:31 pm

Well fair enough janxy, but Essex is such an easy pop- why not try a but harder next time- give Essex a break- we aren't all ****wits

kittycat1 May 3rd 2014 5:32 pm

Most people think croydons a dump

CraigM May 3rd 2014 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sebkachoei1984 (Post 11244269)
thank you craig.... i take it as you live there?

Yes, and never regretted moving here!

Sebkachoei1984 May 3rd 2014 8:27 pm

KittyCat1 i really like to thank you for all your help and many thanks Craig and everyone else for all your comments :)