Moving to Dubai

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

nancy24 has a spectacular aura aboutnancy24 has a spectacular aura aboutnancy24 has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving to Dubai

HI, I am looking for some helpful advice! My husband has just been offered a job in Dubai and it looks like we are going to accept. We have a 12month old son and we can not wait to get out there! I have had a look on the internet about areas to live and was hoping for some friendly advice. I have looked at the Springs area and it appeals due to the community vibe it seems to give off - swimming pools, shops, parks etc. Maximum budget to rent is 120,000. My husband will be working in the Jebel Ali area. Any other ideas would be gratefully received.
Thank you
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:06 pm
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Dubai

greens? (ppl on here have nothing but complaints about all kinda housing developments... so not sure if this is the right place to ask..)
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:50 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zamboooka
greens? (ppl on here have nothing but complaints about all kinda housing developments... so not sure if this is the right place to ask..)
Marina? It's absolutely heaving with families with children under 5.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nancy24
HI, I am looking for some helpful advice! My husband has just been offered a job in Dubai and it looks like we are going to accept. We have a 12month old son and we can not wait to get out there! I have had a look on the internet about areas to live and was hoping for some friendly advice. I have looked at the Springs area and it appeals due to the community vibe it seems to give off - swimming pools, shops, parks etc. Maximum budget to rent is 120,000. My husband will be working in the Jebel Ali area. Any other ideas would be gratefully received.
Thank you
If you are looking for a "community" then I do think the Springs is a good starting point. Loads of people hate it as it looks like a British council housing estate and is full of brits which sort of misses the point of living here. However, on the plus side you will get a garden, a small but comfortable house, access to a park, pool, some grass and other women. Otherwise, try the Ranches - it's miles from anywhere but generally the houses are of better quality than the springs (as are the parks, and pools) and a little cheaper so you will be able to get something better.

Marina is very nice, but it's flats.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:16 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you want a flat or a villa? Many people come to Dubai with a villa only mentality but flats are a great alternative. 80-100K will get you a very nice 2-3 bedroom flat in a high quality building with all the specs, heated/chilled pools, gyms and saunas. Monthly utilities (DEWA) costs for flats are much lower than for villas. Plenty of people in villas regularly get hit with unexpected (and unexplained) massive DEWA bills in the summer months that can run 2-3K AED per month.

I live in the Greens which is all flats and it's heaving with young families. I'd say about 1/3 western expat, 2/3rds other nationalities, which is fairly standard across New Dubai developments. Marina is a popular location as well but I find the Greens more user friendly and walkable, and it has the best landscaping in Dubai, which makes a difference in the hot summer months.

Downtown, the area around the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa, is also very nice but it's geared more towards singles and childless couples.

If you must have a villa, the Springs and the Ranches are your two best options within your budget, as well as Mirdiff (which is at the opposite end of Dubai but can be convenient if your husband works around Festival City, Airport or Deira). But you will spend more per square footage for housing and especially in the Springs, the 2-bed villas are quite small.

The one advice I give to all newcomers is to be as frugal with their housing allowance in their first year in Dubai. This place has a tendency to throw up unexpected expenses, especially in your first year. After you've been here for a year and know the place well and know what to expect, then move up to something nicer or bigger.

Thank you
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:02 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
If you are looking for a "community" then I do think the Springs is a good starting point. Loads of people hate it as it looks like a British council housing estate and is full of brits which sort of misses the point of living here. However, on the plus side you will get a garden, a small but comfortable house, access to a park, pool, some grass and other women. Otherwise, try the Ranches - it's miles from anywhere but generally the houses are of better quality than the springs (as are the parks, and pools) and a little cheaper so you will be able to get something better.

Marina is very nice, but it's flats.
sure, although you need a car to travel anywhere, even in AR. I have a friend who moved out because it was so remote, people would hesitate to come out and see her and she was fed up of the 20+ minute car journeys to get anywhere!

I agree with Ethos to a certain extent - the Greens are nice (and greener than the Marina) but the Marina is still eminently walkable and has great public transport as well as more choice of entertainment/ shopping/ facilities... apart from playgrounds. The Greens has nice playgrounds. I'm in the Marina, btw.

Another friend moved to the Shoreline apartments on the Palm.

My bit of advice is to refrain from forming an opinion until your been out and seen the different areas for yourself - everybody has different views on the matter and you need to assess what's best for you. Oh, and don't ever read the agent's spiel - everywhere has a "community feel", "landscaped grounds", "luxury accommodation" and "first class facilities"!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Do you want a flat or a villa? Many people come to Dubai with a villa only mentality but flats are a great alternative. 80-100K will get you a very nice 2-3 bedroom flat in a high quality building with all the specs, heated/chilled pools, gyms and saunas. Monthly utilities (DEWA) costs for flats are much lower than for villas. Plenty of people in villas regularly get hit with unexpected (and unexplained) massive DEWA bills in the summer months that can run 2-3K AED per month.

I live in the Greens which is all flats and it's heaving with young families. I'd say about 1/3 western expat, 2/3rds other nationalities, which is fairly standard across New Dubai developments. Marina is a popular location as well but I find the Greens more user friendly and walkable, and it has the best landscaping in Dubai, which makes a difference in the hot summer months.

Downtown, the area around the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa, is also very nice but it's geared more towards singles and childless couples.

If you must have a villa, the Springs and the Ranches are your two best options within your budget, as well as Mirdiff (which is at the opposite end of Dubai but can be convenient if your husband works around Festival City, Airport or Deira). But you will spend more per square footage for housing and especially in the Springs, the 2-bed villas are quite small.

The one advice I give to all newcomers is to be as frugal with their housing allowance in their first year in Dubai. This place has a tendency to throw up unexpected expenses, especially in your first year. After you've been here for a year and know the place well and know what to expect, then move up to something nicer or bigger.
"...flats are a great alternative. 80-100K will get you a very nice 2-3 bedroom flat in a high quality building with all the specs, heated/chilled pools, gyms and saunas..."

So if I wanted to spend only up to, say, AED 120,000 on a 3-bedroomed flat, what/where would you recommend?

Last edited by The Dean; Jan 23rd 2011 at 6:22 am. Reason: .
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
"...flats are a great alternative. 80-100K will get you a very nice 2-3 bedroom flat in a high quality building with all the specs, heated/chilled pools, gyms and saunas..."

So if I wanted to spend only up to, say, AED 120,000 on a 3-bedroomed flat, what/where would you recommend?
the greens.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
the greens.
Right that's it............ you're gonna get what's coming to you........

In any case, I can't afford to employ an Urdu interpreter..........
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:51 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where do you work?

In the Greens look at the Golf and Links towers, which are the high rise buildings facing the Montgomerie Golf Course. The Golf Towers will also have great views of the Palm as it directly faces it. My Fairways complex has only 1-2 bedrooms.

But in the low rises the newer quadrangles opposite the Choithrams shopping centre has large 3-bedroom apartments. Look for Al Nakheel, Al Jaz, Al Ghaf and Al Sidr and The Views. Rents are usually around 90-100K.

Business Bay has large 3-bedroom apartments for around the same prices. The views can be terrific, but the ground interface is still one of a construction zone and you have to walk through dirt fields to get to the Dubai Mall.

Then, of course, there is the Marina. For all the hate JBR gets, it does have very large apartments and the 3-bed + maids are generously proportioned.

If you have a car, just drive around the Dubai areas that appeal to you - Marina, Palm, Greens, Downtown. Decide which ones appeal to you the most. Then check on Dubizzle for 3+ bedroom flats available, or call a few of the estate agencies such as Better Homes, and take it from there.

Originally Posted by The Dean

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

live in Abu Dhabi and commute...I think that's it
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

nancy24 has a spectacular aura aboutnancy24 has a spectacular aura aboutnancy24 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Marina? It's absolutely heaving with families with children under 5.
My husband was originally keen on the Marina - I pulled my nose up at it. But as long as it is somewhere there are lots of families, that is all I want to begin with.
Thanks for the advice
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ethos83

Thanks for the good advice - has helped us get thinking!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:09 pm
ex-expat

My husband was originally keen on the Marina - I pulled my nose up at it. But as long as it is somewhere there are lots of families, that is all I want to begin with.
Thanks for the advice
When we first decided to come over here, I told Mr Kitty, in no uncertain terms that there was no way on this Earth that I'd live in a high-rise and I would only settle for a villa. I then discovered that the only villas we could afford were rabbit hutches backing onto a dual carriageway (oo, Springs then!) and so we took an apartment... on the 35th floor!

I really like the Marina - totally different from our place in the UK, but loads to do, everything on your doorstep and nice and central. Plus it's got some of the most active mother and baby groups in Dubai. Anyhow, I'm not a rep! Come with an open mind and see for yourself.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

livbel is an unknown quantity at this point

my wife and I have just moved over we have a 11month old and a 2 year old - my wife doesnt work and wont be driving for a few months at least so we wanted to have an area where she can walk, get the metro easy and have amenities on our door step. We have had a good look around and although we came over with the villa mentality, we have changed our minds and want an apartment and our focus is the Marina. Loads of families, wlaking distance to the beach (maybe not in the summer months), loads of ammenities and mother/toddler activities I believe. I work in Jebel Ali and its 15 min drive. Currently I am staying in company accomodation the other side of Dubai Mall and takes 40 mins to drive to work! Cant wait to get nearer and Marina fits that bill too. If you need someone to hangout with during the daytime drop me a VM and I'll put you in touch with her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.