Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai in 3 weeks time...need to sort out accomodation...

Moving to Dubai in 3 weeks time...need to sort out accomodation...

Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

ZeeLuton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai in 3 weeks time...need to sort out accomodation...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I am moving to Dubai as I have managed to get a job out there. Most likely will be moving on the week beginning the 19th of November..

I need to sort out my accommodation and am really not fussed where i end up however I will be working in Al Quoz for a couple of months and then my office will be re-locating near to International City by ABN Amro bank.

How can i arrange accommodation? I can hardly find any classified ads for studios/flats to rent. Can anybody reccomend any agents? My monthly housing allowance is AED 1500 but obviously will be prepared to dig a little bit deeper into my pockets for the ideal place.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Zee
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai in 3 weeks time...need to sort out accomodation...

Originally Posted by ZeeLuton
How can i arrange accommodation? I can hardly find any classified ads for studios/flats to rent. Can anybody reccomend any agents? My monthly housing allowance is AED 1500 but obviously will be prepared to dig a little bit deeper into my pockets for the ideal place.
A 'little' is a bit of an understatement there..
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

dubizzle.com and expatriates.com are the sites to find accomodation.

but a room in a shared apartment is going to cost you at least 3500-4000.
With your allowance your will probably have to look into shared/partioned rooms.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 7:15 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I am moving to Dubai as I have managed to get a job out there. Most likely will be moving on the week beginning the 19th of November..

I need to sort out my accommodation and am really not fussed where i end up however I will be working in Al Quoz for a couple of months and then my office will be re-locating near to International City by ABN Amro bank.

Zee
Oh dear...you may be able to find maids quarters in Sharjah on that budget...try gulfnews.com classifieds
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Zee your company have stitched you up big time with that housing allowance!!! The cheapest I can think of would be a 1 bed apartment at International City and that would cost about 65,000 dhs. (I think)
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Zee
Zee,

From your 'name' I assume that you, like me, are a Bedfordshire boy......

On that allowance, think in terms of a shared bedsit down the other end of Bury Park....

If you don't mind sharing such confidential information, what is your basic salary, and are there any other 'benefits' thrown in? The reason I ask is not to be nosy as such, but to point out that if the salary is somehow commensurate with the housing allowance, you should seriously think about saying 'no' to the whole idea of moving.

Dubai has a glamorous image in the UK but it is NOT the place to be if you are poorly paid......

And finally - assuming you are a fan - what the hell is Blackwell up to? And why is our home record so good, and the away record so poor?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

well said The Dean, Zee if you don't want to share such information on a public forum you can always PM me or The Dean.

Football!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Sophie75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there

I am moving to Dubai in 3 weeks too, I am soooooooo nervous and like you I am going to need to find accomodation. My company are putting me up in a hotel for the 1st month until I have found something suitable but then I need to find my own place. I haven't got a clue where to start looking. I think I would just like to rent a room in a shared house so that it will give me a chance to meet new people and I would like to live near the beach.

I can't help but wonder if I am doing the right thing, I am 22 and have never lived on my own before, yet alone move to a foreign country but I figure if I don't give it a try I will only regret it and from researching Dubai, the NightLife and Shopping opportunities sounds amazing!!

Sophie x
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:43 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Sophie.

One thing - it is getting harder to get a villa share near a beach due to rules about certan areas being for families only.

The wiki at the top of the page probably has someinfo about accomodation, otherwise look at Gulf News classifieds, dubizzle.com and notice boards in supermarkets when you get here. (I hope you aren't coming out with ITP.)

Also bear in mind that things are not as cheap as you'll be expecting. Yes, there are heaps of shopping malls, bars, clubs & restaurants, but overall the cost is similar to the UK. That said, it could be a great opportunity for you if you have an open mind.

oh & ZeeLuton - for that budget you might be best buying yourself a tent! Did you really think you'd get somewhere to live for the equivalent of £200 a month??
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:03 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophie75
from researching Dubai, the NightLife and Shopping opportunities sounds amazing!!
For "nightlife", read lots of bars where everything costs London prices or higher. For "shopping opportunities", read lots of shiny malls all full of exactly the same shops as each other, selling the same stuff you get in the UK, and at similar prices.

Hey, you might as well know *before* you get here
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
For "nightlife", read lots of bars where everything costs London prices or higher. For "shopping opportunities", read lots of shiny malls all full of exactly the same shops as each other, selling the same stuff you get in the UK, and at similar prices.

Hey, you might as well know *before* you get here
If you are so seemingly unhappy with everything in Dubai, why not just move somewhere else?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Sophie75 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think seeing the familiar sights of High Street Stores such as New Look, Top Shop and Next will help me to settle in to life in Dubai without missing the UK too much!! I am very worried about leaving all my friends and family behind as I won't know anyone, it will be nice to have some creature comforts around me!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:19 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

My monthly housing allowance is AED 1500 but obviously will be prepared to dig a little bit deeper into my pockets for the ideal place
As has been pointed out, 1500 dhs per month is a derisory housing allowance. Has your company-to-be pointed out that rent is paid a year in advance here, and will it give you your year's allowance upfront as a lump sum? If they will, you're still looking at having to find another 47,000 dhs before you can rent even a basic one-room flat in International City. If they won't, you'll have to get your hands on about 65,000 dhs from somewhere (plus your deposits etc).
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:34 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by expat.brat
If you are so seemingly unhappy with everything in Dubai, why not just move somewhere else?
Who says we're not planning to?

No point jumping for the sake of jumping, though. I'm earning a very good salary indeed here doing something I really enjoy, and with a young family to support it would be silly to move now. We'll be out of here before Maddie is of school age, I'm not paying anything to the rip-off schools they've got here.

None of which precludes me from seeing through the marketing bullshit of Dubai, of course. It's a very superficial place, after all, which suits some people better than others - doesn't mean those who, like myself, find the superficiality an issue, can't reach an accommodation with it for the sake of pragmatism. You, of all people, given your obsession with money, should be able to empathise with that

And FWIW, I was just telling Sophie75 exactly what she'll find when she gets out here. Dubai *is* full of bars charging London prices or higher and malls containing the same shops as every other mall and selling the same goods you'll find in the UK at prices pretty much comparable to the UK.

Of course, Dubai's great if you want a big fridge.

Last edited by Eeyore; Nov 2nd 2007 at 10:36 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophie75
Hey there

I am moving to Dubai in 3 weeks too, I am soooooooo nervous and like you I am going to need to find accomodation. My company are putting me up in a hotel for the 1st month until I have found something suitable but then I need to find my own place. I haven't got a clue where to start looking. I think I would just like to rent a room in a shared house so that it will give me a chance to meet new people and I would like to live near the beach.

I can't help but wonder if I am doing the right thing, I am 22 and have never lived on my own before, yet alone move to a foreign country but I figure if I don't give it a try I will only regret it and from researching Dubai, the NightLife and Shopping opportunities sounds amazing!!

Sophie x
Sophie,

A word of caution............

If you are single and coming out alone to Dubai at the age of 22, take great care in one particular respect. You may not be in the habit of frequenting pubs/bars/etc on your own, but if you are, please note that it is not the wisest thing to do in Dubai.

A 22-year-old female, in certain Dubai drinking establishments, can all too easily be mistaken for an altogether different kind of 'professional'.

Dubai is MOSTLY very safe, without a doubt, but make a few friends before venturing out to sample the night life.

I would hope most of the regulars here would agree.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.