Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Doha-information needed

Moving to Doha-information needed

Old Sep 23rd 2018, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Pinky111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Doha-information needed

we will be moving to Doha in few months. I never been there before. Like to get some details.
1) good British nursery for 2 year old, who provides food, as mostly nurseries there do not provide food for kids.
2) good British school?
3) is amazon shopping available ?
4) availability of UK top brand shops (m&s, John Lewis. Etc)
5) Childers book shops ?

thanks
Old Sep 24th 2018, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Doha-information needed

I can't answer 1 or 2 as I do not take my kids to Doha but:

3. Yes, for some items, expect delivery in 3-6 weeks, varies. Many suggest using Aramex shop and ship though I have never tried
4. M&S, Debenhams and a few others, Not seen a John Lewis but that doesn't mean to say there isn't one or wont be soon. Expect to pay 2-3 times UK prices. Other 'top brands' you can find in Doha include Chanel, Cartier, Gucci, Louis Vuitton.
5. Jarir bookstore has children's books though I couldn't comment on the range, likely small to microscopic. There is a Virgin store in both Villaggio and Landmark malls.

Doha is small, though there are a lot of shopping malls the type of shops is limited, it is expanding though, slowly. Everything is imported and the ongoing embargo has worsened things in some cases. Prices typically range from more expensive than UK to outrageous.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

Some more info:
1. Twyla Nursery on the Pearl Qatar is good and has a food service available.
3. Yes, and it works fine although shipping is a bit more expensive than to the UK. Amazon wont send electronic goods though which can be a pain.
4. No John Lewis or Waitrose yet, but plenty of British goods here. Lulu supermarket flys in a plane load of British groceries each week so you wont feel left out. We now have a Harvey Nic's in Festival city too if that helps.
5. Borders stocks loads of decent childrens books. Again in Festival city.

Last edited by fezzer; Sep 24th 2018 at 5:56 am.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

You've never been here before so be prepared to be.... well, ranging from underwhelmed, bored, frustrated, angry, to ecstatic and loving the place. There's no real middle ground. Some people love it, others really hate it and can't wait to leave. I only mention this because if what you asked are very important to you, you will be disappointed and frustrated by Qatar. It's best to come with an open mind and flexibility and not assume you're going to be able to duplicate your UK lifestyle or have the same access to the range of goods and services, including food (here in Qatar food is, while not crap, very dull. The tediousness of unremarkable produce and weird meats with no flavour really gets to you after a while).
Old Sep 24th 2018, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Pinky111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information.looking forward to get many more information from expats.
I am mainly looking to get good nursery and good life for my child. Any idea about children’s activities.?

thanks
Old Sep 24th 2018, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinky111
we will be moving to Doha in few months. I never been there before. Like to get some details.
1) good British nursery for 2 year old, who provides food, as mostly nurseries there do not provide food for kids.
2) good British school?
3) is amazon shopping available ?
4) availability of UK top brand shops (m&s, John Lewis. Etc)
5) Childers book shops ?

thanks

You would be better joining the FB page Qatar Living and there also may be a Qatar mums page
There are lots of British nurseries ( Do a search on Google , you will also find reviews) some nurseries, but not all provide food Amazon bought this site https://uae.souq.com/qa-en/ however it is more expensive than the UK and the range is not as vast. As others stated you can shop and ship via the UK through Aramex. Yes there are Debenhams and M &S but the range is limited, expect to pay 30-40% more than the UK. There is no John Lewis. Borders bookshops are in Doha but much more expensive than the UK and again limited range You can use book depository online to order. There will be activities for children but they will be limited to the weather. During the 3 hot months it is unbearable outside. Childrens activities also cost more than the UK and aren't as vast

Last edited by reddiva; Sep 24th 2018 at 9:36 am.