Moving to Doha

Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

warrington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Doha

Hello, My Partner is due to take a Job in civil engineering in the centre of Doha in the next few months and I would like to know from any expats where is the best place to live so we wont feel isolated, what is the standard of living like? what are the locals like? what do you do socially? Is it safe? I know I have a few questions but I will be following him later on and I would like a honest insight to the lifestyle. Thanks......
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Doha

Originally Posted by warrington
Hello, My Partner is due to take a Job in civil engineering in the centre of Doha in the next few months and I would like to know from any expats where is the best place to live so we wont feel isolated, what is the standard of living like? what are the locals like? what do you do socially? Is it safe? I know I have a few questions but I will be following him later on and I would like a honest insight to the lifestyle. Thanks......
let the "search" button be your friend!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...living+in+doha
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply it was really helpful. Still struggling with the cost of living trying to weigh up salary versus how much it will cost us to live there. Utilities, rent, food and any other hidden costs. Thanks again.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warrington
Well, first things first. You said your partner,therefore I can assume you are not married? Living together not being married, is against the law in Qatar.
Some people do it, but it is dangerous, would not recommend it. Deportation is the usual route people take when caught.

Besides, I do not think you will be able to come here without being married. The visa procedures for Brits (and many others) have changed. No more visa on arrival from the 1st of May on. So even if you get here through a visa given to you in the UK, you will only be able to stay as long as it is valid, can't do a "visa run" to a neighbouring country anymore.

There is no such thing as "the " best place to live. Traffic here is pretty bad, so I would suggest you live close to work. Is the company supplying housing? What would you be looking for, a flat or a villa? Do you have children? If so, school run needs to be considered too.

I don't know what you mean by "standard of living". I suppose it depends on how much money you want to spend.

There are 5 star hotels, restaurants etc. available.
at the moment we have about 3 large and several smaller shopping malls.
Healthcare is available, but mediocre,IMHO.

Th locals, well...they are locals. You will encounter them mostly, albeit briefly, on the road and in the malls.

Socially, well, we do what people all around the world do , we amuse ouselves as best as we can.. We have parties, we have dinners, we go out to restaurants, pubs ,clubs, to the beach, to the pool, the desert and so on and so forth.
Now, Qatar is not heaven, far from it. It is somewhat bearable though, you might even like it. I have met, somewhat surprisingly, a few people who do like it here.
Mostly we make do though.
Most of us are here for a reason, MONEY.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:31 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

It's a much smaller, less lively, less brash place than Dubai. That's no bad thing. If you get into a decent compound and make some friends it will make a big difference.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

I agree with Alexa. Find a 'western' compound close to your working place or school,if you have children. Otherwise you will spend every day hours in your car just to get from A to B. On the other hand, gasoline prices are not even worth mentioning, because it's so close to nothing. One of the nice things here
Cost of living depends pretty much how you live. You can get a lot of western grocery products, but they cost. If you take the local veggies f.x. you save a lot of money, but you can also get totally overpriced organic products.
All in all I found, that I spent more money on groceries in Qatar, than I did back home. But I also buy what I like and don't look on prices.
Dining out is pretty much the same. One of our favorite places was a Thai Restaurant, cheap and the food very very good, but again, you can also find places at the other end of price ranges.
Generally I would say, don't think that you can save in that regard. All savings done can only be made by a higher income, than what you had back home.
Qatar is not a bad place to live in. Where I am now, is much much worse and I would move back in a heartbeat.........
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dilmun
I agree with Alexa. Find a 'western' compound close to your working place or school,if you have children. Otherwise you will spend every day hours in your car just to get from A to B. On the other hand, gasoline prices are not even worth mentioning, because it's so close to nothing. One of the nice things here
Cost of living depends pretty much how you live. You can get a lot of western grocery products, but they cost. If you take the local veggies f.x. you save a lot of money, but you can also get totally overpriced organic products.
All in all I found, that I spent more money on groceries in Qatar, than I did back home. But I also buy what I like and don't look on prices.
Dining out is pretty much the same. One of our favorite places was a Thai Restaurant, cheap and the food very very good, but again, you can also find places at the other end of price ranges.
Generally I would say, don't think that you can save in that regard. All savings done can only be made by a higher income, than what you had back home.
Qatar is not a bad place to live in. Where I am now, is much much worse and I would move back in a heartbeat.........
Where are you now??????
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Jeddah, Saudi!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeddah, Saudi!
Ohh, I LOVED my time in KSA, would go back any day!
How's the diving and snorkelling there?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Really? Than let us swop!
Since I am not into diving, all those creatures in the Red Sea freak me out, I do not know much about it, apart from, that everybody else seems to be into it. I like to swim in waters with chlorine in and tiles at the bottom
I have no problems in the summer holidays to jump into the North Sea or Baltic Sea. But Arabian Gulf and Red Sea - no way
Socially Jeddah is ok. But I really do not like that I had to give up driving. This dependency on somebody else to drive you to places is pi**ing me off. I can't be spontaneous anymore, everything has to be planned in advance - that is so not me!
I am counting the days. My sentence is only until next summer......
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Really? Than let us swop!
Since I am not into diving, all those creatures in the Red Sea freak me out, I do not know much about it, apart from, that everybody else seems to be into it. I like to swim in waters with chlorine in and tiles at the bottom
I have no problems in the summer holidays to jump into the North Sea or Baltic Sea. But Arabian Gulf and Red Sea - no way
Socially Jeddah is ok. But I really do not like that I had to give up driving. This dependency on somebody else to drive you to places is pi**ing me off. I can't be spontaneous anymore, everything has to be planned in advance - that is so not me!
I am counting the days. My sentence is only until next summer......
Why don't you hire a driver? I had one, went when I wanted, where I wanted.
Too bad you are not into diving etc. the Red Sea is AMAZING! You really are missing something special.

Would not see me dead, (hopefully) in either the North or Baltic. WAAAYYYY too cold! And boring.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:38 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Jeddah, Saudi!
I'll see your Jeddah, KSA and raise a Tajura, Libya...

I am hoping that an opportunity to go back to Doha will come up very soon.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I'll see your Jeddah, KSA and raise a Tajura, Libya...

I am hoping that an opportunity to go back to Doha will come up very soon.
I hope so too, lj . If it does, we have to get together!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:44 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Alexa
I hope so too, lj . If it does, we have to get together!
Indeed. I just hope there are no child/patio door incidents next time.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Alexa and also the others for your information and taking the time out to answer my questions and concerns - I realise and understand that people tend to do similar things in most countries one way or another but the clarity of your answers have helped me. As my partner is looking overseas and opportuinites are coming in thick and fast I do not want him to jump at the first offer as we both have not really got a clue about salaries - Yes you can ask the standard questions about cost of living and accomodation but the decision has to boil down to salary as this is a major factor and the package, as I want my Partner to make the right choice I have set out the offer which he has receieved- we are awaiting somethingelse in the pipeline but have not got that as yet. If you could have a glimpse over or anyone who can advise. Thanks in advance.
He has been offered a job as design manager (drainage, sewers, roads) for a local consultant in Doha, what they have offered is 33000QR a month about £71k yr they have offered nothing else no ex pat package they say it is all included. Can somebody advise is this ok? Is this amount enough to live on and save money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.