Reload this Page >

Moving company and bank recommendations in the UAE

Moving company and bank recommendations in the UAE

Old May 15th 2010, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Easy Ryder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving company and bank recommendations in the UAE

Hello everyone,

Just 2 questions for those that have been through this all before.

1) Can any of you recommend any companies to move my gear from the UK to Dubai. (And any to avoid!). I'm looking for a company that will ideally clear customs for me, my presence not being req'd (good idea or not?) and bring all the stuff to my door.

2) I've already heard most of the banks in the UAE are pretty lousy. I have HSBC accounts here and in Australia and will be transferring money to both on a regular basis. Any recommendations for a day to day bank/account? Also am I right in my assumption that using an independent money moving company would give me more preferable exchange rate transfers and charge less on commission? Again any recommendations there?

Thanks for your time
Old May 16th 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Opponent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving company and bank recommendations in the UAE

I moved my stuff through Allied Pickfords. They were reasonable and efficient. Didn’t have to do anything. They cleared everything at customs and delivered to my door.

I have an account with Standard Chartered and haven’t had any major complaints. You will soon realise that everything here is a compromise. Try to stay away from the local banks. Stay away from Barclays they are absolutely useless. I had an account with them which I closed within a month and moved to Standard Chartered
Old May 16th 2010, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I also moved through Allied pickfords from AD to UK and from UK to Bh
Service was excellent both times in the Gulf but a bit slow in the UK

As said by other poster, avoid local banks. HSBC is franchised out here but are reasonably ok. I use standard chartered and HSBC and nothing between them. Transferring funds is quicker through local service (I use Bahrain finance in Bh but appreciate that is no use to you in Dubai). Transfer from paying in at the Mall to arriving in my account usually less than 3 hours !! and rate is usually the best though if you have Premier status with HSBC they offer a better rate than plus account holders
Old May 18th 2010, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

vastmassive is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeh, Allied seems to be the best and is favoured by us brits for some reason. I used Panalpina 16 years ago and they were great (door to door) As for banks, well HSBC or standard Chartered yeh Lloyds TSB another option.