Reload this Page >

Moving to Bahrain...

Moving to Bahrain...

Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

ablanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Bahrain...

Hi All

Looks like we're moving to Bahrain in a couple of months. We have 3 children under the age of 6 and i've never been to Bahrain so looking for some reassurance that this is the right thing to do!

Does anyone on this forum have kids in Bahrain? Does it get too hot for them?

I teach english as a foreign language - will I be able to find work once I'm there or do I have to line something up before getting into the country?

Schools.... anyone have any info on Nadeen School?

Also, where are the best places to live for young families?

Thanks!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Bahrain...

Hey

I don't live in Bahrain, but I go there alot. It is really too hot for anyone, not only kids. But it won't be a problem if you avoided direct exposure to sun. Bahrain or the gulf in general is not made for walking, everyone has a car, and every car has air conditioning. Also, must of activities are made indoor (kids or adults), so you need not to worry.

I don't know have the answer to the rest of your questions, sorry.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

macteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nice

ablanche - unfortunately this forum is not very active on the Bahrain front, the info that has previously been recommended to you is probably just going to be repeated. I was going to post a link to the EW site, but realised I'd already posted it for you a while ago (here it is again anyway).

Re- jobs. I'd definitely line something up before coming here. Otherwise you'd quite likely be at risk of getting a 'local' package vs a 'western' one (i.e no housing allowance etc).
Just out of curiosity - why do you want to come over here without a job offer, having never been to Bahrain, and asking for assurance that it's the 'right' thing to do? IMO, only you and your partner would be able to answer what is right for your family.

If you have more questions, you'll probably get more response on the EW forum, but I'd advise you to get in quick cos I think a lot of people are off on summer holidays soon....

Last edited by macteepee; Jun 17th 2008 at 6:23 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

ablanche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macteepee
ablanche - unfortunately this forum is not very active on the Bahrain front, the info that has previously been recommended to you is probably just going to be repeated. I was going to post a link to the EW site, but realised I'd already posted it for you a while ago (here it is again anyway).

Re- jobs. I'd definitely line something up before coming here. Otherwise you'd quite likely be at risk of getting a 'local' package vs a 'western' one (i.e no housing allowance etc).
Just out of curiosity - why do you want to come over here without a job offer, having never been to Bahrain, and asking for assurance that it's the 'right' thing to do? IMO, only you and your partner be able to answer what is right for your family.

If you have more questions, you'll probably get more response on the EW forum, but I'd advise you to get in quick cos I think a lot of people are off on summer holidays soon....
Thanks macteepee. I think I originally joined this forum because we were moving to Muscat... but then that fell through... then it was Singapore... and now it looks like Bahrain. It's my husband's work which is moving us, so it's his job not mine that's causing the move. Forgot about the EW forum - will check that out now - thanks!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

macteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nice

Just a comment re- too hot. Everything is so airconditioned here, I haven't even noticed the heat yet, although it's pretty much mid-30s everyday, often high 30s but I haven't really noticed it THAT much. I'm surprised to say that I actually quite enjoy stepping out into the heat at the moment, after being in such airconditioned places. I really thought the heat would affect us more than it has so far (that's why we moved over in Jan), and I've been quite surprised!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ablanche
Thanks macteepee. I think I originally joined this forum because we were moving to Muscat... but then that fell through... then it was Singapore... and now it looks like Bahrain. It's my husband's work which is moving us, so it's his job not mine that's causing the move. Forgot about the EW forum - will check that out now - thanks!
My apologies for assuming you were coming over without a job for either of you! In that case, I would still put the feelers out for a job and get in touch with as many people as you can. Here, it's very much not what you know but who you know. Also, keep in mind that Bahrain has much lower salaries than most of it's Gulf neighbours...
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Does anyone on this forum have kids in Bahrain? Does it get too hot for them?
Thanks!
Everything here is set up for the heat so it's okay. I don't let kids (Neither do the schools either) outside when it really heats up so they are ok.

I teach english as a foreign language - will I be able to find work once I'm there or do I have to line something up before getting into the country?
You will easily be able to teach English here.. ACEC in Juffair is currently looking for teachers and Berlitz always are. Check it out when you're here to see which best suits your lifestyle.

Schools.... anyone have any info on Nadeen School?
They don't have a website but I have many friends that send their kids there, they seem to be one of the very few reasonably prices schools here.. fees are ridiculous!!

Also, where are the best places to live for young families?
Again.. depending on your wants, most expat families though tend to gravitate towards the Saar, Budaiya areas and around there. Rents can tend to be a lot higher in those areas though so if you look around a little bit, you can often find something more reasonable a bit further away.

Buzz when you get here if you like, I have 2 kiddies, 20 months and 6 weeks.. stuck in baby jail at the moment but hoping (perhaps in vain) that I will get out soon