Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK - Tax question...

Moving back to UK - Tax question...

Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:01 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK - Tax question...

Originally Posted by Ash786
Glad you told me that...before I left the UK I spoke to an accountant and he suggested the opposite. He said that HMRC have enough on their plate chasing big companies without worrying about one individual. I replied it would cost HMRC less to chase me than it would for them to chase a big company. He then went silent and I left his office.
Suggest you look for another Accountant.

As soon as you start working in the UK, you'll show up on the PAYE system and HMRC will automatically spot the gap in your earnings. It this gap is less than a full tax-year, then by default you remain UK Resident for tax and NI purposes. It will take 2 minutes for HMRC to shoot you a Self Assessment Form on which you are legally obliged to declare all UK and overseas earnings. Then they'll send you the bill.

Now this might never happen and you could run the risk of not declaring your earnings to HMRC, but I doubt a qualified Accountant would recommend this to you...
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you are paid offshore or onshore has no importance.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 11:58 pm
Banned

bahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Meow
Wrong.
OP - this is poor financial advice.

Unfortunately you haven't asked the right question and Meow has given you and poor answer.

The quesiton you need to ask is will you have to pay it.

The tax man will not be knocking at your door, you were paid offshore. The only income which will be looking at is your UK income.

As I said, buyer beware when dealing with Dubai based 'FAs'. If ou want the details of a good tax account, let me know.

Quote:

‘Relevant foreign income’ (RFI) is any foreign income which arises from a
source outside the UK and is not from your employment.

It includes:
• dividends from foreign companies
• profits of a property business (rental income)
• the profits of a trade, profession or vocation which is carried out wholly
outside the UK
• pensions and annuities
• interest
• royalties.

That says quite clearly that income from employment is not taxed.
You'll be fine. Noone will be looking at you.

Last edited by bahrain saudi; Dec 18th 2012 at 12:01 am.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:02 am
Banned

bahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nicebahrain saudi is just really nice

Originally Posted by scot47
Whether you are paid offshore or onshore has no importance.
Sorry - but with all due respect Scot, you are an EFL Teacher. I have my six zeros. He'd do well to take my advice over yours. To manage money its always better to have some first.

Last edited by bahrain saudi; Dec 18th 2012 at 12:05 am.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Suggest you look for another Accountant.

As soon as you start working in the UK, you'll show up on the PAYE system and HMRC will automatically spot the gap in your earnings. It this gap is less than a full tax-year, then by default you remain UK Resident for tax and NI purposes. It will take 2 minutes for HMRC to shoot you a Self Assessment Form on which you are legally obliged to declare all UK and overseas earnings. Then they'll send you the bill.

Now this might never happen and you could run the risk of not declaring your earnings to HMRC, but I doubt a qualified Accountant would recommend this to you...
Take a lok at the dates he stated in the OP.

And, a qualified acountant are the best and making you aware of holes.....bless'em
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by bahrain saudi
I have my six zeros..
What do you do then?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:19 am
Banned

I find deals where others miss them. Where there's muck, there's brass.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

He is a sh**shoveller. Or a hitman for the Mob.

I am sorry to say that I agree with Johnnyboy

"As soon as you start working in the UK, you'll show up on the PAYE system and HMRC will automatically spot the gap in your earnings. It this gap is less than a full tax-year, then by default you remain UK Resident for tax and NI purposes. It will take 2 minutes for HMRC to shoot you a Self Assessment Form on which you are legally obliged to declare all UK and overseas earnings. Then they'll send you the bill."

I am pleased for bahrainsaudi that his false god Mammon has rewarded him. We do not all bow the knee before his totem !

Last edited by scot47; Dec 18th 2012 at 12:24 am.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:24 am
Banned

hahahaha - shit shoveller is closest.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I find deals where others miss them. Where there's muck, there's brass.
Binman?

Come on, what do you do?
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reminds me of that Hillbilly question to the Professor,"If you is so smart, how come you ain't RICH ?"
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Baraka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
What if I was to start working in a new job after 6 April 2013 and declared myself UK resident after 6 April too? I may be in the country, but not working and not filling out a form would mean I'm still a 'non-resident' on paper...
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Baraka is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, this thread is getting a bit heated here.... Let's stop comparing penis sizes and keep this on topic.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

You are only liable for income earned in the UK from your return date - Feb 2013 - the end of the tax year.

You are NOT liable for income earned in Dubai from Jan 2012 - to end of that tax year OR on Dubai incomes in the 2012 - 13 tax year.

Chill, Winston.

You will not, I guarantee you, be hit with a tax bill. Unless, of course, you were working for UK company, paying UK tax and being paid into a UK based account. (and simply on an overseas posting). From your OP, I assume that is not the case!
As subsequent replies have suggested, that is completely wrong. The taxman will look at those dates and conclude that he (the OP) never 'left' the UK in the first place. Delaying his return until 6 April might give him a better chance, but that is all.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 1:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

OP - this is poor financial advice.

Unfortunately you haven't asked the right question and Meow has given you and poor answer.

The quesiton you need to ask is will you have to pay it.

The tax man will not be knocking at your door, you were paid offshore. The only income which will be looking at is your UK income.

As I said, buyer beware when dealing with Dubai based 'FAs'. If ou want the details of a good tax account, let me know.

Quote:

You'll be fine. Noone will be looking at you.
Hilarious. Are you going to settle his tax bill if he acts on your incorrect info?

Suggest you watch the libellous comments too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.