British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving back to UK from Abu Dhabi but continue to be employee (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-back-uk-abu-dhabi-but-continue-employee-833454/)

TimmyT May 9th 2014 11:51 am

Moving back to UK from Abu Dhabi but continue to be employee

Hi, I need some advice on how feasible this would be. I have been working in Abu Dhabi for 4 years as a web designer. I am now moving back to the UK in July. My empolyer is thinking about offering me to stay employeed by them but just work from the UK. What I would like to know is:

1. Would the salary go into a UK account or stay in Abu Dhabi?
2. Would I have to pay tax on the salary
3. Would this situation affect me getting a mortgage even if I was able to show payslips - bank statements etc

Thanks for any help/suggestions on this as I think it would be a great option, but not sure on how it would affect tax/mortgage offers etc.

Millhouse May 9th 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Moving back to UK from Abu Dhabi but continue to be employee

Originally Posted by TimmyT (Post 11253489)
Hi, I need some advice on how feasible this would be. I have been working in Abu Dhabi for 4 years as a web designer. I am now moving back to the UK in July. My empolyer is thinking about offering me to stay employeed by them but just work from the UK. What I would like to know is:

1. Would the salary go into a UK account or stay in Abu Dhabi?
2. Would I have to pay tax on the salary
3. Would this situation affect me getting a mortgage even if I was able to show payslips - bank statements etc

Thanks for any help/suggestions on this as I think it would be a great option, but not sure on how it would affect tax/mortgage offers etc.

1. Wherever you like
2. Yes, unless you keep the salary in AD and (illegally) don't declare it in blighty
3. Depends on your decision with respect to number 2.

Bahtatboy May 10th 2014 7:52 am

Yeah, as above--fairly simple. If you live and work in the UK, you pay UK income tax. Remain employed by a UAE employer, and get your salary paid in UAE: you still live and work in the UK (and benefit from all the things which taxes pay for).

TimmyT May 10th 2014 2:23 pm

Thank you for your answers.I would be happy to declare the tax. Would there be any problem being self employed and only have the one employer/contract?

Thanks

Bahtatboy May 10th 2014 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by TimmyT (Post 11254930)
Thank you for your answers.I would be happy to declare the tax. Would there be any problem being self employed and only have the one employer/contract?

Thanks

It used not to be a problem. I set up a limited co for 35 quid, employed my wife and myself, paid us salaries and took dividends. That was 15 years ago though.