Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from Abu Dhabi but continue to be employee

Moving back to UK from Abu Dhabi but continue to be employee

Old May 9th 2014, 11:51 am
Just Joined

TimmyT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from Abu Dhabi but continue to be employee

Hi, I need some advice on how feasible this would be. I have been working in Abu Dhabi for 4 years as a web designer. I am now moving back to the UK in July. My empolyer is thinking about offering me to stay employeed by them but just work from the UK. What I would like to know is:

1. Would the salary go into a UK account or stay in Abu Dhabi?
2. Would I have to pay tax on the salary
3. Would this situation affect me getting a mortgage even if I was able to show payslips - bank statements etc

Thanks for any help/suggestions on this as I think it would be a great option, but not sure on how it would affect tax/mortgage offers etc.
Old May 9th 2014, 1:32 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Abu Dhabi but continue to be employee

Originally Posted by TimmyT View Post
Hi, I need some advice on how feasible this would be. I have been working in Abu Dhabi for 4 years as a web designer. I am now moving back to the UK in July. My empolyer is thinking about offering me to stay employeed by them but just work from the UK. What I would like to know is:

1. Would the salary go into a UK account or stay in Abu Dhabi?
2. Would I have to pay tax on the salary
3. Would this situation affect me getting a mortgage even if I was able to show payslips - bank statements etc

Thanks for any help/suggestions on this as I think it would be a great option, but not sure on how it would affect tax/mortgage offers etc.
1. Wherever you like
2. Yes, unless you keep the salary in AD and (illegally) don't declare it in blighty
3. Depends on your decision with respect to number 2.
Old May 10th 2014, 7:52 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, as above--fairly simple. If you live and work in the UK, you pay UK income tax. Remain employed by a UAE employer, and get your salary paid in UAE: you still live and work in the UK (and benefit from all the things which taxes pay for).
Old May 10th 2014, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

TimmyT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your answers.I would be happy to declare the tax. Would there be any problem being self employed and only have the one employer/contract?

Thanks
Old May 10th 2014, 2:32 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimmyT View Post
Thank you for your answers.I would be happy to declare the tax. Would there be any problem being self employed and only have the one employer/contract?

Thanks
It used not to be a problem. I set up a limited co for 35 quid, employed my wife and myself, paid us salaries and took dividends. That was 15 years ago though.