Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Al Ain... Help!!

Moving to Al Ain... Help!!

Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:04 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Moving to Al Ain... Help!!

Hello all! We have been reading so many threads here for info which has been very helpful. Now we thought we'd ask the experts!

#1 We are a family of 4 (neither child is school age)
#2 We are Americans, so far as we can tell there is no American Expat forum or community to speak of so here we are
#3 I have accepted an offer to go to Al Ain for one year beginning on 1 Jan 2009 to assist the UAE Army with something they bought from a US company
#4 I've been overseas a lot but this is our first as a family so basic courtesies won't be a problem

Here's our basic package:
Housing (at least 2BR) and car and all expenses paid (utilities, gas, phone, "normal business expenses")
Roughly 9500 AED per month (actual is USD so exchange rate will affect us a bit) for cost of living
Normal salary and bonus paid seperately

Is this enough to live comfortably with children?
How bad is the housing crunch in Al Ain?
Thank you all for your help and perhaps in 5 or 6 months we'll be seeing some of you!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

someone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Al Ain... Help!!

almost welcome to al ain

i think this is would be fine ,

if as what you said with the offer they made for you , i think it would be just okey.

the housing here are increasing , i mean by the rent , but i am sure the army would find a nice one.

the price of the stuff is not that expinseve compare with US. , no tax here , which is a bit good.

life is simple here ..not a very busy city as Dubai or abu dhabi.

al ain of course is a small city..which you might like it if you looking for comfort and peace.

hope this is helpful..

please do feel free to ask any questions ..every body here will do his best
Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:01 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Thank you for your reply. Is it terribly inconvenient to drive to Dubai or Abu Dhabi for evenings or weekends? From what I've found on the internet it seems Al Ain has a few major projects underway to compete with Dubai (Safari Park). Are any of those done?
Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

someone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to all

driving from al ain to Dubai will take you about 50 minutes or 1 hour if you drive 120 KM

from al ain to Abu dhabi , will take you about an hour and a half or around 1 hour and 45 minutes.

ummmmm regarding the there is still no safari park here yet!!...yes there is a project but DAH!!..who knows when its going to finish. lol

the al ain zoo is getting better and better ..they do have a night events as well..i am sure you might like it.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't forget you've still got to file taxes every year with the IRS even if you aren't liable and if you stay out there long term, don't forget the kids if boys still need to file for SS when they turn 18...that's if you end up staying longer than the year planned.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:22 am
Is not impressed...

I've read the cost of living post for Abu Dhabi, how relevant is that to Al Ain? I figure our primary expense to be groceries/dining. Thank you!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
Hello all! We have been reading so many threads here for info which has been very helpful. Now we thought we'd ask the experts!

#1 We are a family of 4 (neither child is school age)
#2 We are Americans, so far as we can tell there is no American Expat forum or community to speak of so here we are
#3 I have accepted an offer to go to Al Ain for one year beginning on 1 Jan 2009 to assist the UAE Army with something they bought from a US company
#4 I've been overseas a lot but this is our first as a family so basic courtesies won't be a problem

Here's our basic package:
Housing (at least 2BR) and car and all expenses paid (utilities, gas, phone, "normal business expenses")
Roughly 9500 AED per month (actual is USD so exchange rate will affect us a bit) for cost of living
Normal salary and bonus paid seperately

Is this enough to live comfortably with children?
How bad is the housing crunch in Al Ain?
Thank you all for your help and perhaps in 5 or 6 months we'll be seeing some of you!

9500 dhs!!! they are taking the michael mate, get back to them and ask for double.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=al+ain

Last edited by Blue Cat; Aug 10th 2008 at 5:59 am.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:04 pm
Is not impressed...

This isn't enough to live on? Please elaborate if possible. Keep in mind we won't be paying for housing, car, utilities, phone, petrol, or anything else I can reasonably claim as a normal expense (ie. bank fees). We won't have school fees to worry about as neither child will be of school age.

I'll still make my normal salary plus a bonus but we are hoping not to touch that money.

If my allowance is that pitiful I may have to look for a different job so please let me know.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

This isn't enough to live on? Please elaborate if possible. Keep in mind we won't be paying for housing, car, utilities, phone, petrol, or anything else I can reasonably claim as a normal expense (ie. bank fees). We won't have school fees to worry about as neither child will be of school age.

I'll still make my normal salary plus a bonus but we are hoping not to touch that money.

If my allowance is that pitiful I may have to look for a different job so please let me know.
By not of school age, you presumably mean under-3yo as most expat kids here go to kindergarten. You certainly won't survive on AED9.5K with wife and two kids to support but you are lucky to have your normal salary plus bonus too. I would suggest AED15K as a minimum.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:37 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
By not of school age, you presumably mean under-3yo as most expat kids here go to kindergarten. You certainly won't survive on AED9.5K with wife and two kids to support but you are lucky to have your normal salary plus bonus too. I would suggest AED15K as a minimum.

I agree
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

minetoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Al Ain... Help!!

We are an American family in Al Ain. I totally agree that you should ask for more money. I understand that all expenses will be paid but you will be spending money for entertainment, dining and groceries. I find that diapers and baby related items are rather expensive here. We are from SoCal and find that groceries are cheaper, especially fresh fruits and veggies. There are mom and tots clubs in town that your wife can go to with the kids. This brings up another expense. Taxis. I am assuming you will only be given one car. Your wife will need a car or taxi money.

Another thing that I would like to clarify is concerning your housing. Are they giving you an allowance or actually providing you with a flat/apartment?

I think if you absolutely sure that everything but food related items are paid that you will be okay. I don't think it would be possible to save much though.

Minetoo
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:17 pm
Is not impressed...

Housing is provided free and clear as is the car. I have the job offer here and it does state that all expenses related to my ability to conduct business (phone, internet, gas, and any bank fees incurred) will be reimbursed and we will receive a per diem at the rate I mentioned. If the exchange rate is 3.67 to the USD then we will have about 10000 dhs per month. This allowance is intended to cover our "living expenses" which really seems to be only groceries/food. Anything above and beyond will come out of my actual salary (schools, entertainment). So we won't be totally tied to 9500 or 10000 dhs per month but as long as we can pay for life with it we can dip into my salary to cover the odd night out or school fee.

Our intent is to save almost my entire salary. We view the per diem as totally spent on living there. So we will definitely have the ability to save, maybe not with the per diem though.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

Another Ameican in Al Ain here. Ok, my OH works with the UAE military, our deal is 40,00k a month salary, nothing else paid.
We pay 65k for a 4 bed villa, per year, and all expenses. Car, utilities, etc... No kids, so just our expenses here and back in the US. Honestly, you need to ask for more. 9500 dhs is approx 2581 USD.
There aint a heck of a lot to do here in Al Ain, but 2500 is waaay low for a monthly stipend. IMO, of course. Also please check out your housing before you move here. It could be really nice, or the extreme other end, a hole. Oh and welcome to Al Ain, it is very family oriented. Lots to do for the kiddies.
Adults........not so much
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:14 pm
Is not impressed...

Ok, in the interest of full disclosure our actual stipend is $90 per day or $2700 per month. With out paying for housing etc. what is the worst expense? Can you provide any details on food expenses? I appreciate all the response thus far. If I ask for more money I need to have some data to back myself up. This is the first time this company will send someone to the UAE and also the first time they've sent a family. Thanks to all!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:04 pm
Concierge

Housing is provided free and clear as is the car. I have the job offer here and it does state that all expenses related to my ability to conduct business (phone, internet, gas, and any bank fees incurred) will be reimbursed and we will receive a per diem at the rate I mentioned. If the exchange rate is 3.67 to the USD then we will have about 10000 dhs per month. This allowance is intended to cover our "living expenses" which really seems to be only groceries/food. Anything above and beyond will come out of my actual salary (schools, entertainment). So we won't be totally tied to 9500 or 10000 dhs per month but as long as we can pay for life with it we can dip into my salary to cover the odd night out or school fee.

Our intent is to save almost my entire salary. We view the per diem as totally spent on living there. So we will definitely have the ability to save, maybe not with the per diem though.

so you get a salary ontop of this 9500 dhs or is the 9500 dhs your salary? I am confused?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.