Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving from Abu Dhabi to Bahrain

Moving from Abu Dhabi to Bahrain

Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving from Abu Dhabi to Bahrain

I've more or less accepted a position to work in Al Khobar in Saudi (while living in Bahrain) which will entail making the 45 minute(?) commute across the Causeway into KSA every day. There are still a few things to iron out and I have a few questions that the search facility can't seem to help me with - any takers on the following?

1) I've previously worked in Abu Dhabi so only have the UAE for comparison purposes -is the drive across the causeway a nightmare akin to Abu Dhabi - Dubai?
2) What are the schools like in Bahrain (I have a 4 year old.) Are children as well catered for in Bahrain as in the UAE?
3) What is the cost of living like - we found Abu Dhabi to be total nightmare but in that contract I was being paid in GBP which inconveniently crashed just as the cost of living rose 70%.
4) What kind of accomodation allowance should I be asking for - we need at least a 3-bed in a children friendly compound not too far from the Causeway.
5) Is Bahrain fun? Is there any kind of nightlife or just the usual whorehouses with dancefloors you find in AD?
6) I have a dog and we'd like to bring her over - any issues in Bahrain besides the usual "they don't like them here" cultural ones?
7) What else am I forgetting??!

Cheers, as ever for any help....

Ron

Last edited by Ronnie Biggs; Apr 14th 2010 at 5:18 pm. Reason: I'm clearly too stupid to count to 7?...bad times :<
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Abu Dhabi to Bahrain

1. Driving to Al Khobar is no problem and not like driving to Dxb. If you can get a VIP pass for the causeway then get one and it will save you much time particularly on a Weds & Thursday. Saudi standards of driving are abysmal beyond belief but it wont affect you on this short journey

2. Cant help with schools as I only have a pre school but there are other posts on here regarding schools and all the ones you will want to see are all near the causeway end of town

3. General cost of food is the same as AUH.

4. Nearly all compounds are child friendly and the majority are near the causeway. If you are searching on line then check Janibiya, Saar and Al Quarrayah, Al Jasra and Hamala. They all merge into each other. Care needs to be taken when choosing your compound to avoid the nightly tyre burning sessions on the roads so I would say avoid Barbar and the old compound area of Buddieya. Others will disagree but not being able to get home because the police have closed the highway is a pain in the ass.
I nearly rented a fantastic, well maintained 3 bed with private pool for 900 bhd 3 months ago till it was pointed out by a colleague that I should look for the black marks on the road. Access to the compound is routinely disrupted by the locals so glad I took the advice

As for costs then you need a minimum of 1000 bhd a month for a 3 bed. If you want a larger villa in one of the better areas then 1200 bhd a month. If you want a massive 4 bed villa then you want 1400 bhd a month. All are exclusive of bills but you may be able to negotiate that in. 99% of villas are unfurnished.
An alternative is to get a stand alone villa near the Dilmun or Rugby club. Big villas are available for 1200 bhd a month.
If you dont mind a little travel to the causeway then there are villas available on Riffa views for 1400 bhd a month. Nicely kitted out but its still a building site.

5. Dogs are everywhere in Bahrain so no problem as long as you clean up its shit

PM me if you want any further info
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Previous poster mentioned pretty much everything!

1) Wednesdays will be a NIGHTMARE!! Make sure that your employer secures you the VIP pass and that it is part of your contract

2) Book now for your schools, very hard to get into. Children are not as catered for activity wise in BAH compared to AUH & DXB. They can be very expensive so ensure that at least a fare whack of this is also taken care of by your employer if you can.

3) If you are travelling to Saudi everyday would go for Hamala, Jasra or Janabiya.

4) Would be asking for at least BD1300, more if you can get it.

5) Bahrain is what you make of it, if you expect it to be sh*t - it will be. If you put in effort you can have a great lifestyle here.

6) Dogs are fine, vets are limited. Only two really Nonie Couttes (spelling?) and Dr Jaffar in Sanad. Nonie is quite expensive though, Dr Jaffar is more reasonable.

7) Don't know what else you're forgetting but feel free to PM if you have any other questions!

Have fun and good luck x
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
I've more or less accepted a position to work in Al Khobar in Saudi (while living in Bahrain) which will entail making the 45 minute(?) commute across the Causeway into KSA every day. There are still a few things to iron out and I have a few questions that the search facility can't seem to help me with - any takers on the following?

1) I've previously worked in Abu Dhabi so only have the UAE for comparison purposes -is the drive across the causeway a nightmare akin to Abu Dhabi - Dubai?
2) What are the schools like in Bahrain (I have a 4 year old.) Are children as well catered for in Bahrain as in the UAE?
3) What is the cost of living like - we found Abu Dhabi to be total nightmare but in that contract I was being paid in GBP which inconveniently crashed just as the cost of living rose 70%.
4) What kind of accomodation allowance should I be asking for - we need at least a 3-bed in a children friendly compound not too far from the Causeway.
5) Is Bahrain fun? Is there any kind of nightlife or just the usual whorehouses with dancefloors you find in AD?
6) I have a dog and we'd like to bring her over - any issues in Bahrain besides the usual "they don't like them here" cultural ones?
7) What else am I forgetting??!

Cheers, as ever for any help....

Ron
Bahrain is my favourite location in the GCC, so I can only recommend it - quiet if you want, lively if you want - it's all here. And like-for-like, Bahrain has the best restaurants in the region (true, there's no Ramsay or Rhodes, but the standard is generally very high). Also there are plenty of restaurants around town that serve alcohol (not like that only-in-hotels policy elsewhere).

The causeway can be a nightmare - hundreds do the same commute as you. Never had one of the VIP passes so can't comment. At the busiest times, it can take you as long as Ab Dab-Dubai but it's not as far, so less stressful anyway.

No need to look for a compound in Bahrain; there are perfectly good apartments and villas around town (compounds mean a premium of about 30% in cost). When they finish the Sitra flyover, it will be possible to reach the causeway quickly from just about anywhere on the island, but that's not going to be in the near term.

Can't comment on the schools, nor the dog (although be warned that Bahrain apparently has a 'zero tolerance' policy towards strays, so don't let her wander far from home).

Nightlife - some good bars, many with a sporting theme (the newly refurbished Warbler is excellent, although it lacks the atmosphere of the old days). Girly bars are fewer than before (1-star and 2-star hotels have been 'encouraged' to clean up their act), although Diggers remains the island's number one wife-free zone...........

The rumoured alcohol ban keeps resurfacing but...... well, basically, they wouldn't dare - the economy will be dead.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 12:07 am
Just Joined

David from Melbourne is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Tockalosh;8495960]1. Driving to Al Khobar is no problem and not like driving to Dxb. If you can get a VIP pass for the causeway then get one and it will save you much time particularly on a Weds & Thursday. Saudi standards of driving are abysmal beyond belief but it wont affect you on this short journey

Hi,

Do you (or anyone) have any information on how one would go about getting a VIP pass?

Thanks

David
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I will ask about the pass tomorrow as it was all sorted out by the company along with my stamp book to save killing the passport

Did hear they were tightening up on issuing them but dont know whether it was just expat bar waffle