Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:15 am
Just Joined

romfordfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Abu Dhabi

Hi All,

My Husband has a job interview this weekend for a position in Abu Dhabi. He is being flown out there, which I take it is a good sign in itself.

Would really appreciate a bit of advice as to questions he should ask when there.

We have 2 children and they have said school fees included but any other issues that we raise.

Also anyone done this move with children.

I known they say it is never a perm move but what length of time do people spend out there and have you found it expensive. I am a trainee accountant so ideally would try and find a job when we get out there.

Many Thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi

He needs to find out exactly what is and is not included in terms of allowances - school fees are potentially a biggie so get him to confirm it's included but also what the limits are (if any) as schools ain't cheap. Housing is also important so he needs to find out what that is so you can see what type of accommodation you can then afford, i.e. flat, villa, compound etc. and where. Also flight allowances, how many per year and what class.

Many have done the move with children, myself included, my son was 6 months when we came here, he's now 7 and my daughter's 4.

Length of time could change by the minute, I originally came here on a 2 year contract (as did many at that time) but we've now been here over 7 years. My wife and kids love it here and dread the thought of ever going back to the UK, me less so, but they don't have to work here so it's different for them. It'll happen though, and my wife realises that, as 'Emiratization' continues, particularly in Government positions.

It can be as cheap or expensive as you make it, if you go out and eat/drink/stay at hotels a lot, it'll add up, otherwise you can shop at the less expensive supermarkets and save lots.

Good luck and have a search around the threads, many have asked similar questions recently.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Ask if they supply company accommodation for a period when he's first there - and getting the accommodation allowance confirmed too is v important - depends on your personal requirements but accom seems to range from 80k aed per year for 2 bed flat in al reef (long way from city) to many 100s of k for big fancy villas with own pool etc. check out www.propertyfinder.ae for some indications. Where he will be working is relevant too - if he's on island every day that will affect where you go more than if he's based elsewhere for the week. Note that accommodation expenses can make what looks like a really good package look a lot less shiny so it's worth deciding what are deal breakers so you can see how much you have to spend.

Basically the opportunity for different allowances is endless - ask about car, accom, flights, 'living', schools, health and life insurance levels, relocation allowance hmmmm anything you can think of really. They seem to like paying as little as possible for basic and topping it up with allowances - I presume it's cos end of service is on basic but it's such a negligible figure anyway I'm not sure why they bother.

Working conditions could be important too - easy if he's in an air conditioned office but if he's an outside worker - start and end times, their policies for working in heat etc - it's 6pm there now and 39degrees.

Re schooling - it's good if they pay for full schooling (provided its on top of other generous allowances) - but they probably will pay a specified allowance - bear in mind primary seems to start at 30k each pa and I believe secondary is more like 50k plus (mine are below primary age so haven't done that much research yet but full time nursery seems to equate to about 30k too - so a damn sight cheaper than nursery in the uk! But perhaps you get what you pay for )

Good luck for the interview
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31

Re schooling - it's good if they pay for full schooling (provided its on top of other generous allowances) - but they probably will pay a specified allowance - bear in mind primary seems to start at 30k each pa and I believe secondary is more like 50k plus (mine are below primary age so haven't done that much research yet but full time nursery seems to equate to about 30k too - so a damn sight cheaper than nursery in the uk! But perhaps you get what you pay for )

Good luck for the interview
Primary at BSAK (British School Al Khubairat) is around 45k pa