Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

To move or not to move

To move or not to move

Old May 4th 2009, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default To move or not to move

Hi All,

I'm a newbie so hi all and be nice please

A very quick rundown, I'm a 32 single London based stylist/designer (female). I've been offered a job in Dubai (package being put together for me), and I'm basically really unsure what to do.

I've been coming out to Dubai once or twice a month on a consultancy basis so have seen a little of the city. I've met the people I would be working with (all married women) but they all seem nice enough - if a little timid, and having read all the depressing posts in the forum I'm just wondering if it's actually no better over there to what it is in London at the moment.

I'm currently self employed and luckily have managed to stay busy this year but I think it's a matter of time til my work dries up or thins out here, so I had been thinking it could be a good time to take up this job offer for a couple of years- security of a full time job, not having to work 18 hour days, and getting to have some sort of life rather than working 24-7, and also get the benefits of a tax free salary.

Having read several forum posts- I'm guessing the reality is somewhat harsher than the dream. The job I've been offered is a great role, but it's not exactly where I'd seen my career to be going so I really am wanting the lifestyle to be worth it- possibly foolishly thinking I may be able to save some money....should I just stay routed and carry on with the consultancy once or twice a month or should I throw caution to the wind and just go for it?

Once I get the package offer through I'll whack it up on here and see what you all make of it, any feedback would be appreciated.

Warmest regards

Kittycat
xxx
Old May 5th 2009, 2:37 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To move or not to move

Hi Kittycat,

I don't live in the ME (I'm in the USA) but I wanted to stop by and welcome you to the site. I hope you enjoy your stay. If you ever have any questions about how the site works, or you are stuck on something, swing on by the FAQ's or leave us a message in Site Feedback, and myself, or one of our wonderful moderators will be happy to help.

Sue
Old May 5th 2009, 4:11 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi All,

I'm a newbie so hi all and be nice please

A very quick rundown, I'm a 32 single London based stylist/designer (female). I've been offered a job in Dubai (package being put together for me), and I'm basically really unsure what to do.

I've been coming out to Dubai once or twice a month on a consultancy basis so have seen a little of the city. I've met the people I would be working with (all married women) but they all seem nice enough - if a little timid, and having read all the depressing posts in the forum I'm just wondering if it's actually no better over there to what it is in London at the moment.

I'm currently self employed and luckily have managed to stay busy this year but I think it's a matter of time til my work dries up or thins out here, so I had been thinking it could be a good time to take up this job offer for a couple of years- security of a full time job, not having to work 18 hour days, and getting to have some sort of life rather than working 24-7, and also get the benefits of a tax free salary.

Having read several forum posts- I'm guessing the reality is somewhat harsher than the dream. The job I've been offered is a great role, but it's not exactly where I'd seen my career to be going so I really am wanting the lifestyle to be worth it- possibly foolishly thinking I may be able to save some money....should I just stay routed and carry on with the consultancy once or twice a month or should I throw caution to the wind and just go for it?

Once I get the package offer through I'll whack it up on here and see what you all make of it, any feedback would be appreciated.

Warmest regards

Kittycat
xxx

Hi and welcome to BE. I would suggest you find out what package they are prepared to offer and then make your decision. I would say if the package they offer you is a good one, and you have job security in this new position then why not give it a try.
Old May 5th 2009, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Difficult to give any feedback til you know what your package is and how it compares to what you're already earning.
Old May 5th 2009, 4:45 am
Just Joined

poshaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really nice

Let me weigh in on this one. I am a rare female executive working in Abu Dhabi. I have been here for 3 1/2 years. I am in the construction field so apart from using your services don't know a thing about the business of hair.

Let me say as a professional the market here in virtually every industry is extremely volatile. There is no job security even if you have a contract. You could quite literally employed on the first day and redundant the next with all of the associated debts. I have three peers who ducked a mass redundancy only to get hired and have it done again with a month. In my first 3 years no one was let go from my mega-project. In one month alone thousands were terminated off of multiple projects. Its as common as dirt now, sad to say.

The worst news is that the high flying, wildly speculative driven UAE of last September no longer exists. I doubt if it will ever come back. The "rich" people (and their western employeees) who were expected to buy and reside in the UAE no longer exist. The market has spoken.

I belive the global construction market will pick up in the next year (in the West first) and jobs will come back to Dubai on a limited basis. But I have a firm belief that the UAE has eaten its seed corn by decimating the Western professional population in the panic. That means submarkets and supporting industries like Hairstyling will be at the mercy of the dwindling population's very fickle whims.

The core of the consuming population were the Emitratis with their wealth (which has lost 25-40% of its value), visiting Gulf States Arabs (who also lost heaps of money) and then the Westren expat population (that were getting paid by those who lost money). They were the "consumer elite" here and your business needs them desperately.

Dubai is a fantastically fun place but you have to decide what you are going to do if you do come here - A) come here and live the high-end your disco lifestyle and be essentially broke when you go home (or are sent packing) or B) come here live a quiet but frugal lifestyle and save up in case you are made redundant. Its going to be one or the other. And at your age its a tough choice because your single peers will want you to choose option A) and its a very expensive party scene.

IMHO if you have a viable business in your home country, why not keep it and remain a traveling consultant? I manage dozens of consultants and they can bill for virtually everything and we still pay. Keep yourself exclusive, work and charge at the high end and you will look and be valuable. You can also bring in multiple revenue streams from two countries, instead of one. Thats just good business. However, once you choose to be here on contract it had better be paradise for you because you just can't up and leave if you hate it - the costs of upfront housing and transport make it hard that way.

OK that was a rather round about way of saying: Stick with what you have, get as much money out of the UAE on consultancy basis as possible. Maintain your desired career path and you will be much happier. If you want to live in the UAE without being here just stay on this board!
Old May 5th 2009, 4:53 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I took that Stylist mean't stylist not hair stylist? maybe I got that wrong?
Old May 5th 2009, 4:58 am
Just Joined

poshaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really niceposhaccent is just really nice

Is that fashion designer? Fashion stylist? Apologies if we got that wrong. My cautions apply for all industries. Lets see the package and if she shares it we can help her get the best one ... like Business class travel for vacations and up front, pay deductable loans for housing so she avoids a bank loan, etc.
Old May 5th 2009, 4:58 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by poshaccent
Is that fashion designer? Fashion stylist? Apologies if we got that wrong. My cautions apply for all industries. Lets see the package and if she shares it we can help her get the best one ... like Business class travel for vacations and up front, pay deductable loans for housing so she avoids a bank loan, etc.
agreed
Old May 5th 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I took that Stylist mean't stylist not hair stylist? maybe I got that wrong?
lol no you are right BC.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Yes I'm a fashion stylist/lingerie designer.

The company is a large lingerie brand- turning over 40million sterling and they have been looking for someone for the last 6 months. I used to work for their brand director in the uK and that is how I've become involved in the company.

I'm back out there in a fortnight so wil have a frank converstaion with him then as I'm obviously worried about job security now!

I'll let you know oncce I get the package through.

Thank you for all your responces.

Warmest regards

Kittycat
xxx
Old May 5th 2009, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I am a rare female executive working in Abu Dhabi.
eh...how so...??

MM, xx
Old May 5th 2009, 11:17 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

like thats really important

id be more inclined to demand company supplied accommodation, and travel in the luggage hold for my annual vacation...
Old May 5th 2009, 12:12 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
eh...how so...??

MM, xx
Cause she has not been well done?
Old May 20th 2009, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi all,

Right I had a meeting today and a little disappointed by the offer as imagined saving thousands however work in the UK is horrendous so this would offer me security for a couple of years whilst the market picks up hopefully.

So the package they are offering me is as follows;

45K Sterling
first month rent paid whilst I look for accomadation.
loan to pay rent up front- to be taken out of my monthly pay
1 flight home each year (however my job would involve two (paid)trips to france each year so could add a trip home on to the end/beginning of each trip)
Health care
25 days holiday a year

I'd be looking to live in a half decent area ( I live on a ropey estate at the moment so am used to shootings, robberies and shite) either in a one bed apartment( not a studio unless its mahoosive) or a flat share with someone normal any ideas where I might find someone- do you have gumtree over here)and I'm not worried about living a party hard lifestyle as have some projects I want to get on with and even if I do go out I'm such a cheap date I only need a couple of drinks, however I would be looking to have internet, gym membership, a car that doesn't break down on me and be able to save some money at the end of it.

Does this sound realistic?

Warmest regards

Kittycat
xxx
Old May 20th 2009, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Me again,

Meant to ask, in regards to flat shares- do women have to live with women or can you share with guys? Just that I'll be working with women and miss farting and burping men so would prefer to share with someone of the opposite sex- is that allowed?

Cheers

KittyCat
xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.