Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A Move to the Middle East? Where do I Start?

A Move to the Middle East? Where do I Start?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

tiredofrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Move to the Middle East? Where do I Start?

Hello there,

I've heard that, for experienced engineers, there can be good (Tax-free) money to be earned in the ME.....

I'd like to weigh things up and would appreciate any advice anyone can give based on....

27 years of experience in engineering, multi-disciplined experience gained mostly from electronics manufacturing (consumer, service engineering, semiconductors, plant & facilities). Spent some time on instrumentation as a University Tech.

Progessed to Snr Eng level, having started as engineering apprentice, with FE qualifications (HNC) but NO degree.

Would like to escape the UK's struggling economy, for a bit, so would be looking for somewhere that would be be best to move to with wife and kids.

Have looked at job websites and Linkedin groups and few jobs appearing in my sector or that don't mention degree or above.

If I only have "good transferrable skills" is that enough to start with or are the ME job markets fickle (and really looking to bring in experts-only)?

Do I really need to have contacts there or get an introduction through networking?

Lots of questions, typical engineer, but any advice would be grately appreciated.

Thanks..
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:45 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Move to the Middle East? Where do I Start?

Try posting in the ME Job Discussions Forum for starters.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

apologies about lionheart - he is a knobhead.

It's not particularly great here at the moment either in your game and the lack of degree may be a stopper for you in some parts of the ME - (in the UAE it could prevent you coming).

Have you considered Doha?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:01 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Your existing network of contacts is always the best place to start, but if you haven't worked abroad before then you will probably need to branch out. Try Linkedin.com.

Do a googlewhack on recruitment agencies in the region, and try to speak to someone sensible (ha!) at each one. [email protected] is good, as is Sam at [email protected]. (I don't have affiliations with either, both have helped me to recruit staff.)

And search this website--there is a wealth of info here. Even Lionheart comes up with something useful now and again.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:47 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

I am so surprised at teh fact that nobody has yet to post the usual response to this question....

"The airport is usually a good place....."

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all (love the sarcasm and humour too...)...

Just really testing the water here...Will look at Doha/Qatar (as suggested). Didn't know where Doha was and thought that might be a Doh!!! Pun - given it was from EmiratesMillhouse (love the Simpsons)...

I know there's not much available in my field, which is why I was wondering wheather it was typical for ME employers to look for an "Exact job/experience match" versus the transferrable aspect of skills and experience to a new industry.

I was also wondering about life-style and recreation (e.g. is there a "best for families" ME country/area, is "compound" living the best way to go)?

Perhaps I need to split up my questions and be a "smarter poster"

Thanks again.....

Last edited by tiredofrain; Jun 23rd 2010 at 4:46 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

if you dont have a degree it will so much harder, and since there are many engineers of all disciplines because of projects being delayed etc in MENA, they have to tick their boxes here, and one of those is a degree.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

The lack of a degree can be limiting but as ever, experience is more important. I have had 3 jobs here in engineering related fields but do not have a degree. That said, I have had a couple of promising jobs fall through at the last minute because I couldn't tick that box. HR is as incompetent here as it is in the rest of the world when it comes to job requirements so use your contacts to get to talk to the right people. One thing - even though my work is in engineering I cannot call myself an engineer (nor hold a work permit with that title), no big deal but it's worth remembering so that you don't mistakenly describe yourself as an engineer to some self important nob who will then insist you are not qualified.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

From first hand experience in KSA, the lack of a degree will almost certainly rule you out, you wouldn't be able to get residency visa without one. I'm not sure about other countries in the ME but KSA certainly you wouldn't get a job there without a degree. Personally I think it's stupid as you obviously have good experience but degrees mean everything in KSA.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by AH30
From first hand experience in KSA, the lack of a degree will almost certainly rule you out, you wouldn't be able to get residency visa without one. I'm not sure about other countries in the ME but KSA certainly you wouldn't get a job there without a degree. Personally I think it's stupid as you obviously have good experience but degrees mean everything in KSA.
This is just not true, from first hand experience, I had residency without a degree (for family too). I also secured 2 jobs in KSA, transferring from one to the other without difficulty.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

This is just not true, from first hand experience, I had residency without a degree (for family too). I also secured 2 jobs in KSA, transferring from one to the other without difficulty.
It may depend on who you're working for and which clients etc, but in my experience for companies such as Aramco whether directly or indirectly through a contractor you will be required to have a degree and also to have it authenticated otherwise they won't pay you.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks to all.....

Looks like my main problem will be trying to get a foot in the door. That's before I even consider whether I would get a good enough position to allow me to take my family with me.

AH30 warning about entry via the "contractor" route is noted. It contrasts the frequently used UK route for non-degree holders to get a start in that way (which was one of the avenues I was hoping to consider for entry to the ME).

I'm starting to think it will be just as difficult for me to engineer the right kind of opportunity in the ME as it was a few years ago (when I was looking at some other alternative locations for migration).

I do have a few UK contacts who's networks will very likely include folks in the ME. Perhaps that will give me an idea of the types of opportunity that may be available.

It would be good to hear from anyone, living the family life out there, to hear their views on ex-pat living, recreation and good locations to be.

Thanks again....
Old Jun 27th 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AH30
It may depend on who you're working for and which clients etc, but in my experience for companies such as Aramco whether directly or indirectly through a contractor you will be required to have a degree and also to have it authenticated otherwise they won't pay you.
No doubt there are companies that require degrees (and certain specific engineering disciplines may also need qualification) but I have worked in engineering related jobs for 2 huge companies (one KSA, one multi-national) and neither had any difficulty employing me.