British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   mother and baby groups in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/mother-baby-groups-dubai-666600/)

Felixcat May 3rd 2010 8:03 am

mother and baby groups in Dubai

Hi all, I am a new mum and am really keen to meet other mums, are there any good groups recommended, particularly around the Marina end? Thanks for any info

Patsy Stoned May 3rd 2010 11:44 am

Re: mother and baby groups in Dubai

Hi Felixcat, you will get a better response if you go to www.expatwoman.com lots of mothers and baby things there.:)

Hello.Kitty May 3rd 2010 3:05 pm

Felixcat - I'm in the marina too. Look on Facebook, there's JBR Sandpit, Marina Mums and various other playgroups. How old are your children?

I'll pm you.

Felixcat May 3rd 2010 3:41 pm

thanks Patsy stoned and Hello Kitty. My baby is just 9 weeks old Hello Kitty, I will pm you back :)

Felixcat May 3rd 2010 3:47 pm

I can't access my pm unless I have 3 posts... this will be my third post then ;)

Hello.Kitty May 3rd 2010 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Felixcat (Post 8539288)
I can't access my pm unless I have 3 posts... this will be my third post then ;)

;)

shaz4real May 3rd 2010 5:50 pm

My wife, the little one (3 months) and I are due to move out to dubai in 2 weeks, any info on playgroups would be much appreciated

thanks

Hello.Kitty May 3rd 2010 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by shaz4real (Post 8539549)
My wife, the little one (3 months) and I are due to move out to dubai in 2 weeks, any info on playgroups would be much appreciated

thanks

see above?

Depends where you're living tbh... each area has one or several... or if not, start one! No, honestly... it's not that hard.

lawyeradviceldb May 6th 2010 5:59 am

this is a wonderful thinking

Gije09 Apr 4th 2011 6:33 pm

Hi all am not british, though i have a 3months old baby and was wondering if the groups are open to expat (no matter of nationalities), plus if there is any where and how... I live in Dubai in the greens..

Thanx:)

Hello.Kitty Apr 4th 2011 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Gije09 (Post 9284921)
Hi all am not british, though i have a 3months old baby and was wondering if the groups are open to expat (no matter of nationalities), plus if there is any where and how... I live in Dubai in the greens..

Thanx:)

children are a great leveller, and I don't know of any group that is exclusively for such-and-such a nationality... in fact, I'd steer well clear if there were!

I know there's a mother and baby group in the Greens, but don't know how they operate or how to contact them. I would actually loiter and ask anyone with a child of similar age to yours... again, the best way is just to invite people round to meet up for a playdate - you'll get to know what's going on and will be invited to more.

Marina Mums is based in the Marina but has to be the hugest M&B group in Dubai, with mums coming from all over the place, both originally and within Dubai, but their activities cater for pre-schoolers more than for babies - although everyone's welcome.

Gije09 Apr 4th 2011 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9284975)
children are a great leveller, and I don't know of any group that is exclusively for such-and-such a nationality... in fact, I'd steer well clear if there were!

I know there's a mother and baby group in the Greens, but don't know how they operate or how to contact them. I would actually loiter and ask anyone with a child of similar age to yours... again, the best way is just to invite people round to meet up for a playdate - you'll get to know what's going on and will be invited to more.

Marina Mums is based in the Marina but has to be the hugest M&B group in Dubai, with mums coming from all over the place, both originally and within Dubai, but their activities cater for pre-schoolers more than for babies - although everyone's welcome.

Thank you Hello Kitty :)

Hello.Kitty Apr 4th 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Gije09 (Post 9284982)
Thank you Hello Kitty :)

no problem! I've done a lot of loitering in my time here! :o

Lots of conversations ran something like:

[HK accosts random mum]
HK - Hi! [manic smile] I'm new!
[random mum] - oh... hi! [looks slightly stunned] I'm new too!
HK - Fantastic! [still grinning] We have children the same age! Fancy a coffee?
[random mum, still looking rather stunned] - er... ok?!

Actually, my most random expat mum meeting was in Hong Kong (just to prove we're all the same!). I got chatting to a complete stranger (2 kids, the youngest being the same age as my eldest) who thought she'd seen my mum taking the children out to the park the previous week, which couldn't have possibly been true, considering we were only there on a visit, but anyhow, after 15 minutes of random chit-chat on a street corner, she invited us all for lunch round hers. I think she was really quite bored, but still, it was really lovely to have a good chin-wag comparing expat life (very similar!) and the kids loved it.

rowell Apr 5th 2011 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Felixcat (Post 8539267)
thanks Patsy stoned and Hello Kitty. My baby is just 9 weeks old Hello Kitty, I will pm you back :)

A midwife at Cooper Clinic has a get together for new babies/mums, its in a coffee shop close to their clinic, I believe its a Monday morning, but contact them and no doubt they will give you the details

Millemonkey Apr 11th 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Felixcat (Post 8538522)
Hi all, I am a new mum and am really keen to meet other mums, are there any good groups recommended, particularly around the Marina end? Thanks for any info

Hi Felixcat, I recently moved from Abu Dhabi to Dubai and my wife will be joining me here in the next few weeks, we have a young son (almost 4 months old) so I'd be interested to know what you manage to find out about groups as I'm keen to help my wife settle in as quickly as possible!