Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Monthly cost of living in dubai?

Monthly cost of living in dubai?

Old May 1st 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

ximmyx will become famous soon enough
Question Monthly cost of living in dubai?

hi all,
This is my first time here. I'm 23 yrs old. I am looking to apply for a quantity surveyor job in dubai and i was trying to get an idea of the average monthly outgoings including rent bills food etc. I am looking to earn around £30,000 british pounds per annum. maybe more if i impress them! please could anyone give me a rough idea of the total monthly outgoings for a single guy looking to live in dubai?

Thanks
Old May 1st 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Monthly cost of living in dubai?

Originally Posted by ximmyx
hi all,
This is my first time here. I'm 23 yrs old. I am looking to apply for a quantity surveyor job in dubai and i was trying to get an idea of the average monthly outgoings including rent bills food etc. I am looking to earn around £30,000 british pounds per annum. maybe more if i impress them! please could anyone give me a rough idea of the total monthly outgoings for a single guy looking to live in dubai?

Thanks
Hi, what experience do you have? Do you have a degree and professional accreditation (MCIOB / MRICS)?

Your £30k won't be anywhere near enough if thats the full package. If thats your basic plus package that you're expecting then it'll be fine. Your employer will pay for your rent / provide you a flat (unlikely) but...I'm a bit older and told that based on age and experience that £30k basic would be very very top end of what i'd be expecting (plus package).

So, although there's big money out there you might well find its more for the seniors. I've been looking for a month or so now and not had any joy at all....thats probably down to the agencies being utter crap though.
Old May 1st 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

cheers m8. ive gt a degree (BSc /quantity surveying) which i studied part time and got three years experience in pre and post contract. My hope would be to earn 35k basic package but im gna wait and see what kind of offers they bring. i no rent is at about 1000/month but what bout bills and food?

cheers mate
Old May 1st 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ximmyx
cheers m8. ive gt a degree (BSc /quantity surveying) which i studied part time and got three years experience in pre and post contract. My hope would be to earn 35k basic package but im gna wait and see what kind of offers they bring. i no rent is at about 1000/month but what bout bills and food?

cheers mate
I couldn't honestly say but I gather food is about the same as over here (maybe local stuff is cheaper) and utilities are cheaper than over here.

Just as a tip, you might want to start thinking / dealing in UAE currency when thinking about the package. Don't work in pounds when talking salary or rent. You'll get a better understanding of how much things cost too that way.

If you look on dubizzle.com you'll get some ideas of rental costs.

Oh, and if you get offered 35 basic let me know who you've gone through to get it if you wouldn't mind.
Old May 1st 2008, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

will do m8. cheers!
Old May 1st 2008, 9:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE....though have a search through previous threads as there's been a lot on packages and cost of living, also check the wiki, it's a good place for agencies too....
Old May 1st 2008, 10:51 pm
Banned

mrtonytony is an unknown quantity at this point

i always found dubai to be more expensive than london
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Ed Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant futureEd Pies has a brilliant future

I am hopefully moving to Dubai this year, and if it is genuinely more expensive than living in London that is very scary, as London is one of the most expensive places to live on earth.

If you like to go out for drinks a few nights a week then it is going to cost more in Dubai than popping to your local in London. However if you were to try and get a 2500ft2 3 bed house, a live in maid, drive a large car (or 2), pay tax, council tax, and send your children to private school in London then it would cost considerably more to live in London than in Dubai.

Or am I wrong?

Last edited by Ed Pies; May 2nd 2008 at 9:24 am. Reason: typo
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ed Pies
I am hopefully moving to Dubai this year, and if it is genuinely more expensive than living in London that is very scary, as London is one of the most expensive places to live on earth.

If you like to go out for drinks a few nights a week then it is going to cost more in Dubai than popping to your local in London. However if you were to try and get a 2500ft2 3 bed house, a live in maid, drive a large car, (or 2) pay tax, council tax, and send your children to private school in London then it would cost considerably more to live in London than in Dubai.

Or am I wrong?
I would say that would be down to what package you got over here. If you get your rent and school fees paid then technically your laughing. I friend of mine said it cost her 96 quid to fill her car up the other day in the UK (Range Rover). I have a 4x4 here and have never put more than 15 quid in it!!!! Fags are a quid a packet if that
Old May 2nd 2008, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrtonytony
i always found dubai to be more expensive than london
I've never lived in london but been on nights out. Its no more expensive than manchester city centre.
Old May 3rd 2008, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

fsazhar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just moved to Abu Dhabi from London 4 weeks ago. Here is a break down of cost of living:

Rent: Average rent of 10000 AED for 2 bed flat per month ( will be cheaper if you share). try to get accomodation as part of package rather than allowance. As rents go up 7% per year on average.

Utilities, often included in rent

Landline phone: 15 AED per month plus calls. 35p / min to UK peak 25p off peak. No Calling cards. Get Skype installed from UK for free calls, as skype cant be downloaded here (its blocked)

Settalite TV: 175 AED / month without sports, 299 AED installation

Broadband: 2MB - 350 AED/ month ( yes 5 times more expensive than UK), installation and wifi router on top (550 AED approx)

Food: I eat from pakistani resturant down the road from my place and its on average 10 AED per meal. Works canteen is about 17 AED per meal. If you out to eat, average will 70AED per meal.

Alcohol is same price as UK

Cigrates are very very cheap

Petrol: 20p per litre

Cars: 30% cheaper than UK on average

Dentists: bit cheaper than uk, i would say 10%

Doctors: Most companies provide medical insurance

Taxis: Bloody cheap

Supermarket: Local produce is cheap, Western Imported food is expensive or almost the same price as UK. e.g. Muller Yougerts are almost 1GBP per pot, 55p back home. Local juices are well cheap so is bread and milk, vegies, fruits. Cearals are bit cheaper than UK. Non Halal meat (ham, pork etc) is hard to find.
Old May 3rd 2008, 7:09 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsazhar
Rent: Average rent of 10000 AED for 2 bed flat per month
In Dubai that'd get you a nice 1 bed, unless you went to International City where it'd get you a lot more.

Originally Posted by fsazhar
Utilities, often included in rent
Not in Dubai IME - they are very cheap though, except for the 5% of rental you pay in your utility bill, and any air conditioning bills (which can be hefty).
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Hi, what experience do you have? Do you have a degree and professional accreditation (MCIOB / MRICS)?

Your £30k won't be anywhere near enough if thats the full package. If thats your basic plus package that you're expecting then it'll be fine. Your employer will pay for your rent / provide you a flat (unlikely) but...I'm a bit older and told that based on age and experience that £30k basic would be very very top end of what i'd be expecting (plus package).

So, although there's big money out there you might well find its more for the seniors. I've been looking for a month or so now and not had any joy at all....thats probably down to the agencies being utter crap though.
what do you do?
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sg800
what do you do?
QS
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CeeBee
QS
Are you looking for a job in Dubai? Are you RICS qualified etc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.