Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Missing in Dubai - timmy maccoll, sailor

Missing in Dubai - timmy maccoll, sailor

Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing in Dubai - timmy maccoll, sailor

Just thought of a good experience with the Embassy, when my son was a very ill newborn, they were much more helpful than the aussie embassy (we have dual nationality). We had to get him out of the country quick smart but the aussie embassy took his only birth certificate for 3 weeks and wouldn't help us fast track it to register him as Aussie. The BE said you both have british passports, get another copy of the birth cert and we can give you an emergency passport and you'll be out tonight. We were.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:58 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartans53
Embassy W@#$%ers.

A "friend" was convicted of an offence and when they called the emabassy to say they had been sentenced to two months, the answer was " how lucky you could have got a year" no advice on how to appeal just sent a list of lawyers. Did appeal via the in jail lawyer and got it down to a month or 23 days as a month is in Dubai. FCO and everyone at the Embassy do not want to get involved or rock the boat. They do far below the minimum required.
To be fair all the Foreign Offices are as bad. I didn't even bother with ours following my mishap, the other Brit in Al Wathba informed me that they sent an Indian guy and an Arabic guy to him, not a Brit. They informed in that they can do nothing except make sure he is not being mistreated.

The American embassy were worse though.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

outtatouch is an unknown quantity at this point

The American Embassy did not do me any favours - in fact it was the British Embassy that helped answer my husband's questions in regards to a car accident when I was hit by a local. We emailed and called the American Embassy and never heard a word.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:24 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

The foreign office (minister for this region) was totally useless and misinformed on crucial points when my friend was deported. The embassy were clueless and unhelpful when she needed them before she was deported (for a crime she didn't commit.) Equally rubbish when she was going through the whole arrested/jail/court scenario.

I'm not sure what they do, apart from smooth trade links and kiss arses.

It's scary really. I do think citizens expect some sort of aid from the embassy and are quite shocked when it isn't forthcoming.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
The foreign office (minister for this region) was totally useless and misinformed on crucial points when my friend was deported. The embassy were clueless and unhelpful when she needed them before she was deported (for a crime she didn't commit.) Equally rubbish when she was going through the whole arrested/jail/court scenario.

I'm not sure what they do, apart from smooth trade links and kiss arses.

It's scary really. I do think citizens expect some sort of aid from the embassy and are quite shocked when it isn't forthcoming.
No matter where in the world they are, British embassies are purely trade missions, who occassionally have to deal with irritations like British subjects (if they really have to, mind.)
Old Jun 6th 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

I have never really seen the Embassy as being there to help us if we get into trouble. I just don't think that's their function. In any event, they don't want to get involved in anything controversial, lest it jeopardise their own cushy roles.

If I found myself in any trouble, I would contact these guys: http://www.prisonersabroad.org.uk/
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:01 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
I have never really seen the Embassy as being there to help us if we get into trouble. I just don't think that's their function. In any event, they don't want to get involved in anything controversial, lest it jeopardise their own cushy roles.

If I found myself in any trouble, I would contact these guys: http://www.prisonersabroad.org.uk/
All well and good, though you wont be able to contact them as you will not be allowed calls etc!

Your friends would have to do it all for you.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:04 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britexpat76
All well and good, though you wont be able to contact them as you will not be allowed calls etc!

Your friends would have to do it all for you.
Erm, I think you'll find you are.....
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:28 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Kix
Erm, I think you'll find you are.....
You are allowed one every 2 weeks...........I know that from past experience.

Unless a local has smuggled a mobile in.........
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:54 pm