Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance - questions

Medical Insurance - questions

Old Apr 28th 2012, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical Insurance - questions

About 10 days ago my Mrs was involved in an RTA which resulted in her being admitted to hospital for a day and night for x-rays and then observation. She's since made a full recovery although the car is a write-off.

The hospital where she was treated (Al-Noor, near to Sports City in AD) initially refused to treat her under our medical insurance, although she's previously been there before for non-accident related treatment. The policy is Mediglobal, underwritten by Al-Wathba National Insurance.

They then suggested using the car insurance (car was insured through Axa on a motor perfect policy), which provided up to 3,500 Dhs cover. But Axa then said that they had withdrawn medical expenses cover from all their policies just a few days before.

Then a U turn by Al-Noor, who said they would honor the medical insurance.

A day after my wife was discharged, the hospital called to to say that the medical insurance didn't cover any treatment resulting from accidents, either RTA or otherwise, and I should pay the bill of 6,500 Dhs myself.

Our sponsor called in the people from the medical insurance the next day and they were adamant that no medical insurance policies anywhere in the UAE covered accidents.

This all seems like a load of bollocks to me, what is the purpose of having medical insurance if it doesn't cover you for accidents?

Are there any insurance experts out there who could offer a few words, because the insurance company and the hospital between them are doing my nut and I get the impression that someone is blowing smoke up my arse.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

james1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical Insurance - questions

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
About 10 days ago my Mrs was involved in an RTA which resulted in her being admitted to hospital for a day and night for x-rays and then observation. She's since made a full recovery although the car is a write-off.

The hospital where she was treated (Al-Noor, near to Sports City in AD) initially refused to treat her under our medical insurance, although she's previously been there before for non-accident related treatment. The policy is Mediglobal, underwritten by Al-Wathba National Insurance.

They then suggested using the car insurance (car was insured through Axa on a motor perfect policy), which provided up to 3,500 Dhs cover. But Axa then said that they had withdrawn medical expenses cover from all their policies just a few days before.

A day after my wife was discharged, the hospital called to to say that the medical insurance didn't cover any treatment resulting from accidents, either RTA or otherwise, and I should pay the bill of 6,500 Dhs myself.

Our sponsor called in the people from the medical insurance the next day and they were adamant that no medical insurance policies anywhere in the UAE covered accidents.

This all seems like a load of bollocks to me, what is the purpose of having medical insurance if it doesn't cover you for accidents?

Are there any insurance experts out there who could offer a few words, because the insurance company and the hospital between them are doing my nut and I get the impression that someone is blowing smoke up my arse.
If the cover was provided by employer it may be the cheapest, and very limited cover, so what they are saying might be right. I don't have any knowledge of the company involved, but I know of insurers that would cover such an event. You could look at the policy T&C's and the answer will be there.
I agree, no point in insurance if they don't pay out when you need it.

Edited to add policy benefits link
http://www.mediglobal.ae/PlanInforma...7/Default.aspx

Last edited by james1966; Apr 28th 2012 at 5:38 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

who's fault was the rta, if it was somebody else then surely they are to blame and they should pay?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
who's fault was the rta, if it was somebody else then surely they are to blame and they should pay?

Some ****ing Pak truck driver forced her off into the armco and didn't stop. No license plate number and the driver didn't stop. The Saaed have it reported as a single vehicle incident.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with who was at fault.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:54 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Your coverage depends in what is stated in the policy schedule. I suspect the employer has gone for a cheap local plan, but sadly few people actually check what they are actually covered for until too late.

Most policies will cover you in the event of needing medical treatment following an accident so you are bing spun a line. It is just that they offer lousy coverage.

Contact me if you need me to have a look over the policy specs to clarify anything for you.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
Most policies will cover you in the event of needing medical treatment following an accident so you are bing spun a line. It is just that they offer lousy coverage.

Contact me if you need me to have a look over the policy specs to clarify anything for you.
Thanks Meow.

The policy does include stated dental and optical cover up to 5,000 Dhs, so I would have thought it's a decent policy. There's also nothing in the exclusions section to suggest that accident cover isn't included.

Which pages would you be interested in seeing?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Some ****ing Pak truck driver forced her off into the armco and didn't stop. No license plate number and the driver didn't stop. The Saaed have it reported as a single vehicle incident.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with who was at fault.
was this in ad? were there cctv on the road? as they can look at the tape etc.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by busybee2
was this in ad? were there cctv on the road? as they can look at the tape etc.

Yes it was - where the E33 Airport Road slip road joins the E22.

I was on the scene about 15 mins after the accident happened and suggested this to both the police and the Saaed, but neither showed any interest in finding the driver of the decamped truck.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

james1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Meow.

The policy does include stated dental and optical cover up to 5,000 Dhs, so I would have thought it's a decent policy. There's also nothing in the exclusions section to suggest that accident cover isn't included.

The page you want to see is on the link, if you know the name of the policy it tells you what is covered and what isn't.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes it was - where the E33 Airport Road slip road joins the E22.

I was on the scene about 15 mins after the accident happened and suggested this to both the police and the Saaed, but neither showed any interest in finding the driver of the decamped truck.
thats a shame, no cameras up there.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

I thought you could claim off the car insurance - what does your policy document say?
Surely they have a contractual right to maintain the clauses in an existing policy until your insurance expires (yes I do know I am in the ME but AXA is a worldwide company).
Good luck, hope you get something sorted.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes i was going to say the same, they may well change the policy details, but surely you have a contract and they should only be changed on renewal etc.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Meow.

Suggest you drop me an email as if the insurance provider isn't playing ball I might be able to persuade them to do so...