Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Medical coverage through employer in Dubai... might be getting short changed by my em

Medical coverage through employer in Dubai... might be getting short changed by my em

Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:12 am
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical coverage through employer in Dubai... might be getting short changed by my em

I went for a consultation with my GP yesterday. This is the second time I have gone to see the GP. I didn’t have any issues with coverage the first time. I paid for the consultation and a minor procedure, and this morning was going to submit the reimbursement forms to the finance manager in my company when he suddenly told me that the treatment would not be covered because the health insurance company only covers 80% of the claims. The only things that the my company’s policy doesn’t cover is optical and dental treatment. The strange thing is that I went to the same clinic the Managing Director of my company uses and he always gets reimbursed. I am wondering if there are different levels of coverage for each employee. I spent about 650 dirhams yesterday, and feel as if I am either being excluded or my employer has failed to tell me about my extent of coverage. The finance manager was so cold about the whole situation. I do not want to create a scene or anything but should I speak to the MD. It’s times like these that I wish I was back in the UK. Everything is so complicated here. Aargh!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:12 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical coverage through employer in Dubai... might be getting short changed by m

Aren't you the guy we told not to come out to Dubai but who came out anyway?

Who is your health service provider? Goodhealth? Bupa?

I've had both with different employers. In both cases the company didn't interfere with the health claims as it was between me, the GP and the insurance company. Never had a problem to date.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:01 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical coverage through employer in Dubai... might be getting short changed by m

It is entirely possible that there are different levels of cover for different seniority of staff. It is also possible that not all of what you spend is reimbursed, depends on policy excess.

You really need to read the policy documents to see exactly what you are covered for and up to what level. There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to company sponsored plans. It depends on what the employer has arranged and is willing to pay for. Different options from the numerous providers on the market too.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:52 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

We don't get any medical insurance cover, so stop complaining.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
We don't get any medical insurance cover, so stop complaining.
Isn't this a legal requirement for all employees now?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It is entirely possible that there are different levels of cover for different seniority of staff. It is also possible that not all of what you spend is reimbursed, depends on policy excess.

You really need to read the policy documents to see exactly what you are covered for and up to what level. There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to company sponsored plans. It depends on what the employer has arranged and is willing to pay for. Different options from the numerous providers on the market too.
Yup, here we use Daman. We have three or four levels of card depending on seniority. The black one is the super access all areas card then it goes down from there.

The office boys are on a blue card. I think that they are allowed to wait in the doctors surgery for free (but not allowed any of the water out of the machine) and after that they have to pay.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:21 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meonline
I went for a consultation with my GP yesterday. This is the second time I have gone to see the GP. I didn’t have any issues with coverage the first time. I paid for the consultation and a minor procedure, and this morning was going to submit the reimbursement forms to the finance manager in my company when he suddenly told me that the treatment would not be covered because the health insurance company only covers 80% of the claims. The only things that the my company’s policy doesn’t cover is optical and dental treatment. The strange thing is that I went to the same clinic the Managing Director of my company uses and he always gets reimbursed. I am wondering if there are different levels of coverage for each employee. I spent about 650 dirhams yesterday, and feel as if I am either being excluded or my employer has failed to tell me about my extent of coverage. The finance manager was so cold about the whole situation. I do not want to create a scene or anything but should I speak to the MD. It’s times like these that I wish I was back in the UK. Everything is so complicated here. Aargh!
Soudns about right, my old place the medical insurance was 100% through certain doctors / hospitals (crap ones) so if I went anywhere else I got 80% of the cost back once I'd paid.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:22 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Yup, here we use Daman. We have three or four levels of card depending on seniority. The black one is the super access all areas card then it goes down from there.

The office boys are on a blue card. I think that they are allowed to wait in the doctors surgery for free (but not allowed any of the water out of the machine) and after that they have to pay.
heh.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

My office must not be bad. Everyone from the highest to the lowest is on the same BUPA plan and it covers everything including dental.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:27 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

I see BUPA worldwide premiums have gone up from GBP2,200 to GBP3,100 this year, and that's with an excess of GBP500. Seems to be very expensive now.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meonline
most insurance policies only cover 80%.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
Isn't this a legal requirement for all employees now?
worker only in dxb not family.
worker and family up to 3 children in ad only.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ethos83
My office must not be bad. Everyone from the highest to the lowest is on the same BUPA plan and it covers everything including dental.
thats very good, a lot of them exclude dental.