Reload this Page >

Me again, more questions.

Me again, more questions.

Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

_jon_ will become famous soon enough_jon_ will become famous soon enough
Default Me again, more questions.

1. Cars.

Is there any other website other than Dubizzle to locate used cars. Some of the ads on there are useless for details of condition and prices vary wildly.
Is there a resource for establishing second hand values apart from this.

2.Kids

I've looked at schools and the school day for the younger kids is quite short and there appears to be no after school care. Are there services that fill the gap between end of school and end of working day?

3.UK credit cards

Do you keep them when you move abroad. I have a CC with a balance on it that I'd prefer not to pay off if/when we move so I can get a 2nd hand car. Would they demand instant settlement or should I keep the move a secret from them.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:25 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Me again, more questions.

Originally Posted by _jon_
1. Cars.

Is there any other website other than Dubizzle to locate used cars. Some of the ads on there are useless for details of condition and prices vary wildly.

2.Kids

I've looked at schools and the school day for the younger kids is quite short and there appears to be no after school care. Are there services that fill the gap between end of school and end of working day?

3.UK credit cards

Do you keep them when you move abroad. I have a CC with a balance on it that I'd prefer not to pay off if/when we move so I can get a 2nd hand car. Would they demand instant settlement or should I keep the move a secret from them.
1. Gulf News classifieds, or somewhere like Al Futtaim Auto Mall (second hand garage)

2. Maids.

3. Keep UK accounts but pay off ASAP.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

The wife is quite determined not have a maid live in, looks like I'll have to put my job enquiries on hold and try and get something part time.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:00 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Can you work from home? if so, do that. The school day is short but some schools have after school clubs which will take them to around 4pm. Look into consulting. As long as you have a degree... They are obsessed with qualifications here. I was even asked to talk about my schooling in an interview. Seriously. It wasn't even a proper interview. I'd highly recommend not collapsing in laughter at such a question...

It's completely illegal but you can get people to look after your kids part time and not employ a full time live in. Many people do.

Don't buy a car until you have been here a while and know that you are going to stay. Especially don't run out and buy a new car. If things go tits up you have a massive liability and will sell (if you can quickly enough) at a huge loss.

Hire for a while until you find your feet.

Threre are plenty of expat owned cars for sale on notice boards at places like spinneys. That's a good place to look for cars which won't have been caned within an inch of their lives. Don't buy from an Arabic male.

And to your other school question, most people top up fees. Plus you may not get them up front. Some firms pay monthly, some pay quarterly. Mine suggested that as I was a woman I would get them at the end of the year...

It's expensive to move and set up here, make sure you budget for all that.

P.s if the company are paying shipping, get them to agree to pay up front rather than you claim back later. Paying things back is a very flexible and often not understood discipline here. Again, they can play the woman card on allowances. It's illegal of course, but hey!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

The wife is quite determined not have a maid live in, looks like I'll have to put my job enquiries on hold and try and get something part time.
Why????
I guarantee that you will change your minds within 2 months
The housemaid will be able to look after the children after school plus do the washing /ironing/shopping/etc
why would you not look for a full time job that will also pay towards school/rent etc when you can have a maid to help around the house???
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

3.UK credit cards

Keep them and bank accounts, because they are a pain in the arse to get again if you need them in the future and aren't resident of the UK.

Most banks and CC's won't have a problem of you moving abroad, pay it off online as usual.

There's a few cards that require you to be UK resident and would require you to clear the balance, but not from any of the major players.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Why????
I guarantee that you will change your minds within 2 months
The housemaid will be able to look after the children after school plus do the washing /ironing/shopping/etc
why would you not look for a full time job that will also pay towards school/rent etc when you can have a maid to help around the house???
Not necessarily true - some people just don't get on with having a live-in maid, it doesn't suit everyone. We had one for a year but it didn't work out and wouldn't have one again.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
Not necessarily true - some people just don't get on with having a live-in maid, it doesn't suit everyone. We had one for a year but it didn't work out and wouldn't have one again.
a maid is for life not just for Christmas
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

[QUOTE=_jon_;9694715]1. Cars.

4x4motors.com

2.Kids

I've looked at schools and the school day for the younger kids is quite short school starts earlier than in the UK - around 7.30am to 8.00am depending on school and finishes around 2pm to 3pm - which is much the same length of school day in the UKand there appears to be no after school care. Are there services that fill the gap between end of school and end of working day?live in maid

3.UK credit cards

Do you keep them when you move abroad. yesI have a CC with a balance on it that I'd prefer not to pay off if/when we move so I can get a 2nd hand car. Would they demand instant settlement noor should I keep the move a secret from themQUOTE]not necessary.[/
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

The kids issue is causing the wife to doubt our ability to do this.

She doesn't want a live in, nor do I, it's just not how we live. Having a cleaner is one thing, someone there virtually every day, no.

Its different when the kids are at a kindergarden with other kids and enjoying themselves, being away from them for 8 - 9 hours a day is no issue.

I think the issue we are going to have is establishing what work expects from you time wise. Her job will mean she is away a few nights a week, so my work would have to be static and preferably home based or school hours.

I have made some very good connections in Dubai in my field and the difficulty is those are full on jobs that may require travel. I think we are going to have to plan this as me not working and do the finances based on that. Then once out there see what work I can get that fits in around the kids, treating that income as extra savings.
The computer repair stuff may be the most viable.

Thanks for the inputs.

The car and CC stuff has helped.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Get a live in maid , you can always shag her as well
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a live in maid , you can always shag her as well
Probably why the missus doens't want one!

Let the missus choose one- then shell go for an old fat ugly one :-)
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You wouldn't be the first expat to say that 'maids aren't for us' and end up getting one very quickly.

Stop thinking of maids as French women dolled up in black uniforms with lace aprons. Think of them as hoovers - useful and you can shut her away when she's not needed.

Having a maid can make your life much easier given the particular work requirements faced by you and your wife. Getting into a hangup about having a maid is simply silly. Think of her as an au pair if that assauges your guilt. Set the rules clearly: clean the villa, do the laundry, watch the kids till you and wife get home from work, and leave us alone for the rest of the evening. That's how it works in most families with maids anyway.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Stop thinking of maids as French women dolled up in black uniforms with lace aprons.
I'd still have one if that were the case - sadly the old, frumpy, lazy Sri Lankan we had didn't quite meet this criteria, even if we had bought her a suitable uniform......
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

JOn..You will defo be able to make some good money doing the computer thing when you are out here. I spoke to several of my clients and they all said the same thing..If only there was a western repair guy to look at our computers.
There was a guy here called Lee..he was brilliant and was so busy.
Don't worry..it will all work out :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.