Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

MBA graduate with some experience looking for work in Saudi Arabia,UAE or Qatar

MBA graduate with some experience looking for work in Saudi Arabia,UAE or Qatar

Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Sidmoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MBA graduate with some experience looking for work in Saudi Arabia,UAE or Qatar

Hi everyone,

I am a new member to this forum and would like to thank all for creating a superb facility to interact with people.

I am basically a MBA graduate from the University of Huddersfield in England. Today is my graduation day and I am looking to secure a job.

Basically a bit about me, I was raised in Saudi Arabia and went to school there in an English school. I worked for a while in the eastern province namely Khobar and came to the UK in 2006 to do my MBA (Masters in Business Administration). I now possess a valid work permit for UK which is till some time in Mid 2010 & also possess a valid residence permit that can be converted to a work permit in Saudi Arabia.

I am looking to work in a large corporation where the skills acquired through my MBA can be put to best use. I worked previously in sales.

I would really appreciate if any members can give me guidance as in (Networking) to find suitable work. I am interested in working for the "BIG 4" firms or similar consultancies around the Middle east.

Any help will be much appreciated. I would like to post my CV here but really dont know how to because I know if you all saw my CV you could probably guide me.

I would really like the senior members to help me out here by recommending some names or networking that could set me off. In return I am offering complete commitment, a professional attitude and a mature personality.

Thanks every one

Sidmoe
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:47 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MBA graduate with some experience looking for work in Saudi Arabia,UAE or Qatar

I'd usually expect "Big 4" to be used for the accounting firms...

If you're talking about McKinsey, BCG, Bain and Booz, well each has their own profiles and strengths in the region. There are other consulting firms here with their own strengths too. Who have you looked at so far?

There was a thread about McKinsey a little while ago which may offer some insights, too.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Default Re: MBA graduate with some experience looking for work in Saudi Arabia,UAE or Qatar

Originally Posted by typical
I'd usually expect "Big 4" to be used for the accounting firms...

If you're talking about McKinsey, BCG, Bain and Booz, well each has their own profiles and strengths in the region. There are other consulting firms here with their own strengths too. Who have you looked at so far?

There was a thread about McKinsey a little while ago which may offer some insights, too.
Thanks for ur suggestions. I will have a look at the Mckinsey thread.

I have just looked at Ernest and Young in Saudi Arabia. Big 4 as in Ernest and Young, Pricewaterhousecoopers, KPMG etc.

I would like some advice on these other niche consultancies that you mentioned, possibly some one working in them or anyone who aspires to work for them.

Thanks
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:50 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, no idea about accounting over here I'm afraid. I can happily discuss strategy / management consulting though, if you want to pursue that. My first advice would be to focus a little bit more on what you want to do, rather than being driven by big names...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

I would say you are a little late in starting your job search, most graduates have already secured their initial placements with major corporations by now. Here in the US I am currently seeing many the fresh-faced graduates my company has recruited as I am on the orientation team, they applied for their positions 3-6 months ago.
Good luck
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick tip.

When you apply for jobs don't address it to Ernest & Young, I have a feeling Mr Ernst might be a bit put out.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

bromo is an unknown quantity at this point

just fire them applications to all and sundry...eventually you'l get a reply
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Ah well, no idea about accounting over here I'm afraid. I can happily discuss strategy / management consulting though, if you want to pursue that. My first advice would be to focus a little bit more on what you want to do, rather than being driven by big names...
Thanks for all the advice Typical.

It would sound a little cliche but I really want to work within graduate positions in Strategy/Management consultancy. That really would be my ideal job profile.

I studied strategy to a great extent at university level and am quite sure of my Decision making/Problem solving/Leadership/Team working skills. I would therefore, be really interested in any advice in how to go about looking for jobs in this area. I am interested in wide geographic locations and understand that the brunt of consulting jobs rely heavily on communication skills and business analysis skills. I would like to have a possible sort of networking with people working in the sector.

Once again, any help or advice is warmly recommended.

Thank you once again.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vimto
I would say you are a little late in starting your job search, most graduates have already secured their initial placements with major corporations by now. Here in the US I am currently seeing many the fresh-faced graduates my company has recruited as I am on the orientation team, they applied for their positions 3-6 months ago.
Good luck
Hello Vimto,

Thank you for ur time and reply.

I understand that I am sort of late in making applications but I was heavily delayed by the option to undertake further Doctorate level research in Business and a very personal problem that arose at the penultimate moment which in a way changed my priorities.

All said and done sir, I am looking to step ahead and GET noticed.

If you dont mind me asking, What line of industry are you related with and on a more direct level, Is there a way I can make an application to the UK affiliate of your business. I am geographically mobile and would also consider excellent opportunities in the US.

Once again, I would like to post my CV but do not know how to do this keeping in line with the policy and regulations within this forum.

Thanks and kind regards,
Sidmoe
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to get some more experience (not in the middle east) as it is quite unlikely that any consultancy firm/large corporation will consider you otherwise.

Decent job openings for fresh grads in the middle east are rare.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sidmoe
Hi everyone,

I am a new member to this forum and would like to thank all for creating a superb facility to interact with people.

I am basically a MBA graduate from the University of Huddersfield in England. Today is my graduation day and I am looking to secure a job.

Basically a bit about me, I was raised in Saudi Arabia and went to school there in an English school. I worked for a while in the eastern province namely Khobar and came to the UK in 2006 to do my MBA (Masters in Business Administration). I now possess a valid work permit for UK which is till some time in Mid 2010 & also possess a valid residence permit that can be converted to a work permit in Saudi Arabia.

I am looking to work in a large corporation where the skills acquired through my MBA can be put to best use. I worked previously in sales.

I would really appreciate if any members can give me guidance as in (Networking) to find suitable work. I am interested in working for the "BIG 4" firms or similar consultancies around the Middle east.

Any help will be much appreciated. I would like to post my CV here but really dont know how to because I know if you all saw my CV you could probably guide me.

I would really like the senior members to help me out here by recommending some names or networking that could set me off. In return I am offering complete commitment, a professional attitude and a mature personality.

Thanks every one

Sidmoe
I get the impression that you started your MBA course immediately after completing your first degree (unless I've underestimated the work you did 'for a while' in Khobar).

It's too late to help you now, but that is totally the wrong way to do it. The only MBA-holders that were any use in any organisation that I've been involved with had several years of experience, post-grad but pre-MBA. They had an already-established sense of the commercial world before even starting the MBA. Their MBA coursework assignments, dissertations, etc, were consequently relevant and well-thought-out, not mere academic essay attempts.

Apologies if this sounds harsh - and it's not something you can do much about now - but that is exactly why (in MY line of work) "MBA" means something altogether different........

"Means Bugger All".

Sorry.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:26 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by IndieG
My advice would be to get some more experience (not in the middle east) as it is quite unlikely that any consultancy firm/large corporation will consider you otherwise.

Decent job openings for fresh grads in the middle east are rare.
Consulting is one of the areas where it is possible to come in as a fresh grad. Consulting is booming here at the moment. Experience always helps, of course, but firms are looking for fresh grads, particularly MBAs.

Originally Posted by The Dean
I get the impression that you started your MBA course immediately after completing your first degree (unless I've underestimated the work you did 'for a while' in Khobar).
On the other hand, I find this advice spot on. I would not recruit an MBA holder into an MBA position without several years of experience. How many years depends on the job beforehand.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Consulting is one of the areas where it is possible to come in as a fresh grad. Consulting is booming here at the moment. Experience always helps, of course, but firms are looking for fresh grads, particularly MBAs.
US/UK/India etc yes, but surely not in the middle east, especially when there is no dearth of MBAs with experience...
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:34 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by IndieG
US/UK/India etc yes, but surely not in the middle east, especially when there is no dearth of MBAs with experience...
There are more MBAs with experience in the US It's of course a very competitive market, but you absolutely don't need consulting experience to enter it. As said, though, for an MBA I'd want to see *some* experience in *something* - otherwise I'm going to recommend hiring into an undergraduate position, if at all.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean

It's too late to help you now, but that is totally the wrong way to do it. The only MBA-holders that were any use in any organisation that I've been involved with had several years of experience, post-grad but pre-MBA. They had an already-established sense of the commercial world before even starting the MBA. Their MBA coursework assignments, dissertations, etc, were consequently relevant and well-thought-out, not mere academic essay attempts.

Apologies if this sounds harsh - and it's not something you can do much about now - but that is exactly why (in MY line of work) "MBA" means something altogether different........

"Means Bugger All".

Sorry.
Hello Dean, Thanks for the advice.

Well in terms of work experience, I hold about 4.5 years of work experience since I have been working for a long time but the job that I mentioned in Khobar is the one that I enjoyed doing the most which is why I mentioned it.

Why I was studying I worked as a Accounting personnel handling office admin also. Khobar was B2B IT sales and here in the UK, I have worked in B2C financial sales and a little stint doing Data entry while at university.

Not really a freshie in terms of experience but wouldnt say had the best of jobs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.