Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking for work to move to Dubai with a cat

Looking for work to move to Dubai with a cat

Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

carolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nice
Default Looking for work to move to Dubai with a cat

Hi there,

This is a very initial question, a number of friends have moved or are in the process of moving to Dubai.

I would like to do the same and wanted to understand how realistic an opportunity this is. Firstly my background is IT Sales (10 years), I ham not educated to degree standard, does this matter? Regarding positions themselves there are numerous sites with numerous fees, are there any in particular people would recommend.

Finally I also have a cat that I would wish to bring with me, again what is the law/quarantine ruling in this regard and again where should I start to look for further information on this.

If anyone thinks they may be able to help shed light on either of these aspects I would be very grateful.

Equally if you think someone may find my CV/background of interest please refer to the following for an online CV & initial references:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/958/6b1

Many thanks

Caroline Johnson
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work to move to Dubai with a cat

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488279 - read this link for your cat.

When you say IT sales do you mean selling IT equipment, sorry I haven't read your CV, not enough time!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

carolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nicecarolinajj is just really nice

Hi and thank you for the reply I will read the link, regarding IT - I have been selling software and or services, but I would also consider selling equipment - really I am looking for a good opportunity to enjoy a new lifestyle and also ensure that I can earn a good salary and set some reasonable expectations as I have no knowledge of salaries, cost of living etc.

I apologise for so many questions, but as you might appreciate I am hoping to embark on a rather large learning curve, also I am 38 I don't know if that has any implications.

Thanks again,

Caroline
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:37 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

First thing to bear in mind is that the image of Dubai that gets presented all the time in the Western media bears little resemblance to the reality of life as lived by most people here. Western expats do tend to have a better lifestyle than in the UK, but the money here isn't anywhere near as good as it was, it's an expensive place to live, and you usually have to work very hard for your money. Lots of expats here *seem* to have a full-on luxurious lifestyle, but far more than will admit it are funding it through major debt.

As long as you don't come here expecting the streets to be paved with gold, you'll have the right attitude

As for bringing a cat, that's very straightforward. The short version is that you need to have the cat vaccinated against rabies and microchipped, then blood-tested about 4-6 weeks later to ensure that the vaccination has worked. Once you've done all that, you can get a pet passport and the necessary paperwork from DEFRA to sort out exporting the animal from the UK. You also need to arrange specific paperwork in the UAE, and we would recommend using one of the companies here that does it all for you (such as Dubai Kennels & Cattery, who are well experienced in importing pets for new expats).

Bottom line is that you can't do it all at the last minute; ideally, you need to get the processes in motion a good 8 weeks before you plan to travel.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:06 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

What I would do now is register your CV with all the different Agencies and see what response you get. I know very little about computing and software. There is a list of all the Recruitment Agencies in the Wikipedia at the top.

I agree with Gareth 100%
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Gareth, Thank you for your honesty. I appreciate as much from friends who were in Saudi 20 years ago or Dubai 10 years ago that share your view, so I would like to consider myself a realist.

I'm not so concerned with a 5 star lifestyle, but certainly the opportunity for a life experience (and I have a very sound work ethic), but equally wish to ensure there are some "realistic" opportunities.

Thank you for the information regarding pets, he is really the catalyst for this (i.e. he would have to come with me, call me old fashioned but he is for life!), Thanks again, regards Caroline
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:12 pm
Concierge

I think one of the biggest issues to look at here is the cost of accomodation. If you get to the interview stage get back to us regarding suitable packages etc. Dubai aint cheap by any means. Often single people do share villas etc which is always an option
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinajj
Hi there,

This is a very initial question, a number of friends have moved or are in the process of moving to Dubai.

I would like to do the same and wanted to understand how realistic an opportunity this is. Firstly my background is IT Sales (10 years), I ham not educated to degree standard, does this matter? Regarding positions themselves there are numerous sites with numerous fees, are there any in particular people would recommend.

Finally I also have a cat that I would wish to bring with me, again what is the law/quarantine ruling in this regard and again where should I start to look for further information on this.

If anyone thinks they may be able to help shed light on either of these aspects I would be very grateful.

Equally if you think someone may find my CV/background of interest please refer to the following for an online CV & initial references:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/958/6b1

Many thanks

Caroline Johnson
Public Information Notice:

All jokes, puns and one-liners that include the words "Caroline's" and "pussy" should be sent direct to Jimmy Tarbuck, not posted on The Bored.

By order.

The Management.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:25 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Public Information Notice:

All jokes, puns and one-liners that include the words "Caroline's" and "pussy" should be sent direct to Jimmy Tarbuck, not posted on The Bored.

By order.

The Management.
things were moving along just fine till you came in...
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
things were moving along just fine till you came in...
But don't you think my advice was both valid and timely?

After all, you can never predict who will post that sort of smutty innuendo-filled drivel.......
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

After all, you can never predict who will post that sort of smutty innuendo-filled drivel.......
oh no...i would have said that is a completely safe bet...

MM, xx
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:44 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

But don't you think my advice was both valid and timely?

but now we are going off topic and our lovely new member will think what on earth is going on...
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
but now we are going off topic and our lovely new member will think what on earth is going on...
If she didn't read some of the other threads before 'committing herself' to The Bored, she was asking for trouble.........

I'll never forget the day someone started a thread about plants that survive in dry conditions (or something similar) that within 9 replies had moved on to erect nipples.

You just have to accept this - within all the drivel there is usually some helpful info.

I'm currently helping someone find a job who PM'd me his CV about six weeks ago......... I can't even remember what thread that came out of.......
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

I did have to do a double take but I get it, set myself up for that one! Any other useful advise very appreciated!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carolinajj
I did have to do a double take but I get it, set myself up for that one! Any other useful advise very appreciated!
Good girl........ welcome to The Bored - you'll survive quite comfortably I sense............

.......... but watch out for Confucius.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.