Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking to work in Dubai

Looking to work in Dubai

Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:34 pm
Family Guy

Barrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Looking to work in Dubai

Originally Posted by Cham128
I know people that were looking into halliburton over there and in the end they just couldn't stomach the thought of doing it lol...

one thing i would say though is don't try getting into the big *british* company out there as my sources tell me they're reviewing all the expats in the UAE because they're not sure why they're paying them so much to be out there
Cheers Cham128. Certainly something to bear in mind.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to work in Dubai

No problem - let me know what happens with them because I start work there in December.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Barrie
Cheers Cham128. Certainly something to bear in mind.
if anything changes in that i'll let you know, may even be able to get you a contact out there for them.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:14 pm
Family Guy

Barrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really niceBarrie is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Looking to work in Dubai

Originally Posted by Cham128
if anything changes in that i'll let you know, may even be able to get you a contact out there for them.
That is excellent Cham128, much appreciated if you can, as their website only has a general recruitment e-mail address and you never know who is opening that and filtering the CV's before it gets to the right person.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

That is excellent Cham128, much appreciated if you can, as their website only has a general recruitment e-mail address and you never know who is opening that and filtering the CV's before it gets to the right person.
funnily enough most of the people i know that work for them here (UK) just posted their CV on the website and got a call from it
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:14 am
Marching on Together

justin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nice

If you consider elsewhere outside of Dubai, you could try PDO (Petroleum Development Oman)

Oman is the place to be for outdoor excitement, while Dhubai is the place to be for indoor bar excitement
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:25 pm
Family Guy

Originally Posted by justin riseborough
If you consider elsewhere outside of Dubai, you could try PDO (Petroleum Development Oman)

Oman is the place to be for outdoor excitement, while Dhubai is the place to be for indoor bar excitement
Cheers for your input Justin.
Not really concidered Oman before, but will certainly take a look now.
I have actually just found out an old friend of mine is living and working in Sharjah, which was a suprise. He was telling me to be ready for a shock when it comes to renting in that area.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:49 pm
Marching on Together

justin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nice

I have actually just found out an old friend of mine is living and working in Sharjah, which was a suprise. He was telling me to be ready for a shock when it comes to renting in that area.
Oman is probably cheaper than Dubai in most respects and the rent is capped now after some Ministry wrangling, so not likely to see the sudden increases like in UAE.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the wiring in my kitchen is dodgy!

what sort of shock does he mean?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:05 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

He was telling me to be ready for a shock when it comes to renting in that area.
its alright, more like tillydrone or torry (without the junkies) than albyn grove but its perfectly ok
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:31 pm
Family Guy

Talking Re: Looking to work in Dubai

Originally Posted by shiva
its alright, more like tillydrone or torry (without the junkies) than albyn grove but its perfectly ok
Shiva, are you talking about Sharjah?

Is it that bad, I was looking for the Albyn Grove of the area really or maybe I am just setting my expectations to high!!!!

Maybe I have been watching to much British TV with people living in posh apartments and living the high life in Dubai. Looks like it is time for a slice of reality!!!!!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:43 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Shiva, are you talking about Sharjah?

Is it that bad, I was looking for the Albyn Grove of the area really or maybe I am just setting my expectations to high!!!!

Maybe I have been watching to much British TV with people living in posh apartments and living the high life in Dubai. Looks like it is time for a slice of reality!!!!!
yup was talking about sharjah hence the shock your mate mentioned.
na its not as bad as that but its definately more at that end of things. swanky new villas and apartments cost more as you'd expect but what you wont expect is just how insane rents are here these days.
.thats not to say that a lot of the apartmenst arent really nice with pools gyms etc. but the overall area is more like that.

for example i live in the springs (think westhill) in a 2 bed villa with big garden, streets all tree lined pools neaby local ammenities etc. i rented it three years ago for 58,000 pa going market rate is now 140,000 aed ( or over £18,000 pa!!!)

if you want the albyn grove equivelant then thats jumeirah and rents there are nuts i'd need to check but i'd imagine better part of 200,000 aed for what your after if not more

swanky lifetsyle is a possibility but it now costs the budget of a small country to achieve.

realistically if your after a nice apartment or villa in a nice area then your looking at a considerable chunk of cash whether its sharjah, dubai or abu dhabi, if your in oil and gas then chances are that your company will pick up most if not all the cost.....if your lucky

Last edited by shiva; Oct 17th 2007 at 1:48 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:32 pm
Family Guy

Originally Posted by shiva
yup was talking about sharjah hence the shock your mate mentioned.
na its not as bad as that but its definately more at that end of things. swanky new villas and apartments cost more as you'd expect but what you wont expect is just how insane rents are here these days.
.thats not to say that a lot of the apartmenst arent really nice with pools gyms etc. but the overall area is more like that.

for example i live in the springs (think westhill) in a 2 bed villa with big garden, streets all tree lined pools neaby local ammenities etc. i rented it three years ago for 58,000 pa going market rate is now 140,000 aed ( or over £18,000 pa!!!)

if you want the albyn grove equivelant then thats jumeirah and rents there are nuts i'd need to check but i'd imagine better part of 200,000 aed for what your after if not more

swanky lifetsyle is a possibility but it now costs the budget of a small country to achieve.

realistically if your after a nice apartment or villa in a nice area then your looking at a considerable chunk of cash whether its sharjah, dubai or abu dhabi, if your in oil and gas then chances are that your company will pick up most if not all the cost.....if your lucky

The Westhill type of area would do me just fine. It must have made a big difference to the amount of disposable cash you have, since the prices have risen?

It is the Oil & Gas sector I am working for and from what I know they do cover a lot of the costs, but it does seem that times are changing. A very similar thing to what happened in the UK about 10 years ago.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:57 pm
**** it we'll do it live

The Westhill type of area would do me just fine. It must have made a big difference to the amount of disposable cash you have, since the prices have risen?

It is the Oil & Gas sector I am working for and from what I know they do cover a lot of the costs, but it does seem that times are changing. A very similar thing to what happened in the UK about 10 years ago.
I havent noticed a change yet as my rent is still very low, however come 2008 and it will make a big difference as i pay for my own housing