Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking for some warm weather with 11 hours of sunshine every day...

Looking for some warm weather with 11 hours of sunshine every day...

Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for some warm weather with 11 hours of sunshine every day...

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
what is CHS? do you not feel a better school can bring out more in an already gifted child say?
CHS - council house scum

Maybe, but let's be honest - schools only bring about exam results - A gifted child can do that on their own accord if they want.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:31 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for some warm weather with 11 hours of sunshine every day...

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
This confirms my beliefs that schools make almost no difference what so ever to the final outcome.

I went to a shit school. Every night, I would come home and study for another 4 hours or so (apart from Fridays when I'd drink on the streets with my school mates and set fire to dustbins). I was the first, and only, candidate my school sent to Oxbridge.
I went to a fairly bad, but not terrible, school which had a good history of sending girls to Oxbridge before it went comprehensive and mixed (twenty years before I arrived). Then it didn't - coinciding with the economic fall of the town itself. Many of the kids in my class came from crappy family situations with very little in the way of role models. Some of them, encouraged by teachers, did get on to courses (academic and vocational, though I was the only Oxbridge and there hadn't been one before me in ten years) but most didn't.

I agree that there has to be openness on the part of the kids, but they have to be given the right opportunities too. There was a real difference in the ways kids reacted to teachers to came across as wanting them to learn and improve themselves, versus those who wanted to teach and go home.

I actually think most gifted kids can do it themselves thanks to the direction set by their parents - the others need help setting that direction from the school. Many kids who had the potential to be gifted probably never get recognised as such during school because their preschool years did nothing to help them. (One reason I thought the thinking behind Sure Start was so good.)

But then there's getting into university... I really believe I was lucky that my college ran its own entrance exam (which I did pretty well on) and didn't use STEP. I spent a year at a private school and saw the grade and exam prep factory methods they used - whereas my maths teacher was so unused to doing STEP questions there were sometimes questions neither of us could be sure about the answer to. There is no doubt in my mind that private schooling does get middling students into better higher education, and that translates into better life outcomes for them.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
I went to a fairly bad, but not terrible, school which had a good history of sending girls to Oxbridge before it went comprehensive and mixed (twenty years before I arrived). Then it didn't - coinciding with the economic fall of the town itself. Many of the kids in my class came from crappy family situations with very little in the way of role models. Some of them, encouraged by teachers, did get on to courses (academic and vocational, though I was the only Oxbridge and there hadn't been one before me in ten years) but most didn't.

I agree that there has to be openness on the part of the kids, but they have to be given the right opportunities too. There was a real difference in the ways kids reacted to teachers to came across as wanting them to learn and improve themselves, versus those who wanted to teach and go home.

I actually think most gifted kids can do it themselves thanks to the direction set by their parents - the others need help setting that direction from the school. Many kids who had the potential to be gifted probably never get recognised as such during school because their preschool years did nothing to help them. (One reason I thought the thinking behind Sure Start was so good.)

But then there's getting into university... I really believe I was lucky that my college ran its own entrance exam (which I did pretty well on) and didn't use STEP. I spent a year at a private school and saw the grade and exam prep factory methods they used - whereas my maths teacher was so unused to doing STEP questions there were sometimes questions neither of us could be sure about the answer to. There is no doubt in my mind that private schooling does get middling students into better higher education, and that translates into better life outcomes for them.
Have to disagree on that I am afraid, my nephew went to an average school and attained very high results and went on to become a very successful Doctor. I have friends who went to private schools who have quite frankly achieved nothing, and vice versa.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:42 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Have to disagree on that I am afraid, my nephew went to an average school and attained very high results and went on to become a very successful Doctor. I have friends who went to private schools who have quite frankly achieved nothing, and vice versa.
Well, I meant on average. It's certainly true that there are exceptions on both sides!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
But then there's getting into university... I really believe I was lucky that my college ran its own entrance exam (which I did pretty well on) and didn't use STEP.
Phew... I only had to have a day of interviews - no way would I have passed the STEP or the college entrance exams!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:54 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

Phew... I only had to have a day of interviews - no way would I have passed the STEP or the college entrance exams!
That's maths for you. These days, every college "usually" or "always" asks for STEP in maths - except one which "sometimes" does.

That said, there's much more help for individual studiers for STEP now than there used to be, from what I can see.

I had an advantage though - I'd already taken A-Level maths by the point I'd come to interview (GCSE in Yr 9, A-Level in Yr 12).
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:58 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

single mum it is really more expensive here than in the uk - housing, clothes, internet, kids clothes etc etc. I came here with my family in August and find that I spend much more than I originally budgeted for.

The first three months are hard and you can be driven mad by paperwork and inconsistencies. Make sure that you get a decent package and that you get lots of confirmation on the various benefits they promise you. There is nowhere like Notting Hill here - Dubai generally has a better standard of accommodation. Abu Dhabi has more jobs but living there is more of a challenge (in my opinion) and the accommodation is expensive and not always thought out properly. The schools are a mixed bag but my kids are loving theirs and thriving. However, I didn't do private school in the uk - just a very good local primary.

If it all goes tits up (which it could, nothing is certain here) I don't regret coming here. We're having a blast, despite all the frustrations (and there are many). But this is not Utopia or shangri la- although there is a rather nice hotel complex called that! I personally find the overt racism and treatment of some nationalities despicable and depressing and it can really taint my day or evening, depending on the incident. However, it is an adventure and the good things outweigh the bad.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree , it's a know fact that standard students will perform better in a more challenging school , there will always be bright kids in ordinary schools but i'm afraid it's the exception not the norm.

Sad but very true
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

singlemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the rough

Hi and BIG thank you to everyone who replied!! WOW I didn't expect to get so much useful information over night!

I should probably explain the situation I am in adding more details. I am divorced. I can count on my fingers how many times my ex has seen his daughter, so no issue there. He wouldn't probably even notice that we were gone if we moved. No financial support from his side. So we won't be missing him either.

One other important issue - I was not born or brought up in the UK. I am originally from Kazakhstan and moved to London in late 90-s. So I am sure nothing will shock me as I have seen my own country having some seriusly wild times after the USSR fell apart. Which brings another matter up- I am a non-White, oriental looking 33 yo woman. Will that be a huge issue? I saw some comments about rasist comments towards non-Whites in Dubai? My daughter is a mix-raced child, her dad is white. But I think she looks more like me than him.

As to the debt... I do have debts, from secured loans to credit cards. So one of the hopes I had was to move to Dubai, earn the same amount as here but pay less on rent, school fees etc and slowly start paying off my debts.

My life seems to be pretty good to an outsider,good job, nice house, child in a private school etc. But its super expensive to maintain this lifestyle. And often times my credit card does not get paid at the end of the month.

Education. I have a business degree in Economics, but I graduated in Kazakhstan. I have not been studying in UK apart from 4 years in a language school in London Bayswater. And I am now studyng accountancy in a Financial college. Completed 1st year but am struggling with the current one mainly due to lack of time to self-study.

I registered on Britishexpats in 2008 when I was thinking of moving to Spain.. Ha ha!! Another crazy idea of mine. I quickly changed my mind then because I didn't (and still don't) speak a word of Spanish. Instead I was lucky enough to get some pay rise and decided to move from Middlesex to Central London. I can feel its now time to change something in my life. I am applying for jobs in London, but the competition is super tough. Between 50 and 200 candidates to fill one place. I remember how it used to be 10 years ago. I was getting 5-10 calls a day from recruitment guys wanting to offer me jobs. Now, for the past almost 8 months, I have not received a single phone call!! I don't think I want to work for the same company any longer, but it doesn't look like I can get any other job in London.

I pay £12K a year for my daughter's private school. Its not a top private school in Notting Hill. But it has an outstanding OFSTED report and offers things like small classes (8 pupils max), loads of after school activities free of charge and they are open during half term for Holiday Club (for extra 25 quid a day). I had a look at different schools in Dubai. Most of them cost about £5-6K a year. I just thought if I get paid same salary as here over there, pay less on accommodation and school fees, benefit from hot weather (maybe not for the whole year, but at least Oct-Mar) maybe things could work out OK for us?

As to the Arabian Prince... no thanks!!! to be perfectly honest, I was dating a guy (not a prince but from middle east) in my early 20-s. My family still can't forget him. He was a great guy, but they are all muslims. For that very reason we slit up after about 2,5 years being together. I thought I could adjust (or secretly hoped, I could make him change his mind! Ha ha! How naive I was). Some things just can't change, never will.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:10 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

If she isn't married, or divorced, then she, or the kid, ain't coming. Simple.
Why is that then? There are several single women on this Forum if I'm not mistaken. One query though. She said she was earning 2,8K gbp in London...is this per day, week or month?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

hiya, your schooling bill will be cheaper here that's for sure but so will the quality of education, I would die for my 6 year old to be in a class of 8!! she is in a class of 22 here which is the norm.

If you do get a good job and decide to come you will need to get a letter of no objection from your ex husband agreeing to him letting you bring your daughter here, that will need to be notorized with a lawyer etc.

Do you hold a British Passport? this is a strange place and can be very racist towards Asians. I hate to hear you referring yourself as a non white, we are all equal or at least we should be.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:12 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by lionheart
Why is that then? There are several single women on this Forum if I'm not mistaken. One query though. She said she was earning 2,8K gbp in London...is this per day, week or month?
see prev post, she is divorced and the salary I am guessing is monthly
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

singlemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lullabelle
single mum it is really more expensive here than in the uk - housing, clothes, internet, kids clothes etc etc. I came here with my family in August and find that I spend much more than I originally budgeted for.

The first three months are hard and you can be driven mad by paperwork and inconsistencies. Make sure that you get a decent package and that you get lots of confirmation on the various benefits they promise you. There is nowhere like Notting Hill here - Dubai generally has a better standard of accommodation. Abu Dhabi has more jobs but living there is more of a challenge (in my opinion) and the accommodation is expensive and not always thought out properly. The schools are a mixed bag but my kids are loving theirs and thriving. However, I didn't do private school in the uk - just a very good local primary.

If it all goes tits up (which it could, nothing is certain here) I don't regret coming here. We're having a blast, despite all the frustrations (and there are many). But this is not Utopia or shangri la- although there is a rather nice hotel complex called that! I personally find the overt racism and treatment of some nationalities despicable and depressing and it can really taint my day or evening, depending on the incident. However, it is an adventure and the good things outweigh the bad.
Paperwork is a pain in almost any country you go. I remember how it was when I moved to London. Althought UK is one of the most civilised countries in the WORLD, I had loads of troubles initially. What I learned here is more letters you right, better results you get. I know my way round the British system quite well by now as I had to start from the scratch, unlike many who have lived here all their lives.

Its dissapointing though that you say cost of living is much more than here. I was hoping to save...
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionheart
Oh I wish I was earning that per day! Its per month, then I pay tax (once a year, as I am self-employed).
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

hiya, your schooling bill will be cheaper here that's for sure but so will the quality of education, I would die for my 6 year old to be in a class of 8!! she is in a class of 22 here which is the norm.

If you do get a good job and decide to come you will need to get a letter of no objection from your ex husband agreeing to him letting you bring your daughter here, that will need to be notorized with a lawyer etc.

Do you hold a British Passport? this is a strange place and can be very racist towards Asians. I hate to hear you referring yourself as a non white, we are all equal or at least we should be.
Thank you. Equality can be a very sensitive issue to some. I personally do not pay much attention to it. So far I have not had a bad experience in London or anywhere in the UK because of the way I look. Well, maybe when I go to Barnsley (North Yorkshire) to visit my friends, locals will give me an odd look every now and then. But that's because they don't see many asians over there. Which is fine, many of them have never been to London, they don't hold passports as they never travel anywhere and they don't watch international news. I smile and try to be friendly to everyone, at the end of the day, its their country and I am glad that I was given a chance to be here, work, bring up my kids etc.

I hold British Passport. And I am genuinely grateful for all the opportunities this country has given to me. So I can't complain!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.