Reload this Page >

Looking for a Filipino maid - URGENT

Looking for a Filipino maid - URGENT

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

rocha27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a Filipino maid - URGENT

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Filipino maid to start asap. To do house chores and help out with my 2 small boys (3 year old and 8 months).

It's for an apartment in Dubai Marina (near the Sheraton Hotel)

Can anyone help? Any sugestions on where to look?

Thanks.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a Filipino maid - URGENT

look on the notice boards in spinneys and choithrams, and expatwoman classifieds...

any reason why they have to be filipina...?

MM, xx
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:42 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
look on the notice boards in spinneys and choithrams, and expatwoman classifieds...

MM, xx

Might not help, however just one of the best songs ever....

Good luck with your search for a maid.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
Hi MM.

I've tried and found nothing at the moment.

Will look in expatwoman.

The reason for a Filipino, is beacause my family is Portuguese, and the Filipinos speak spanish, so they would be able to understand my kids until they master english. Other than that, no reason...

Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:00 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all filipinos speak Spanish...and isn't Portugese a completely different language? Surely a Goan would have been more suitable, as it was once a Portugese colony.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionheart
Not all filipinos speak Spanish...and isn't Portugese a completely different language? Surely a Goan would have been more suitable, as it was once a Portugese colony.
Well, if I could find a Goan, but it has seem almost impossible.

And both languages are similar...
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rocha27
Well, if I could find a Goan, but it has seem almost impossible.

And both languages are similar...
By the way, does anyone know what are the wages being applied, in general?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:53 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MM.

I've tried and found nothing at the moment.

Will look in expatwoman.

The reason for a Filipino, is beacause my family is Portuguese, and the Filipinos speak spanish, so they would be able to understand my kids until they master english. Other than that, no reason...

Cheers
Most Filipina's don't speak any Spanish aside from the few words mixed into their national dialect (and it's more like bad Mexican Spanish than something your kids might understand).

Any Filipina who can speak decent Spanish would not be working as a maid unless she was born in 1880 when the Philippines was a Spanish Colony! They don't even teach Spanish to most Filipino kids in school there now...

Having been married to a highly educated Filippina for 6 years (who was fluent in Spanish, Russian and Arabic too, and earns the same as most Brits out here) I can recommend you look for a maid from Goa...you will have to be extremely lucky to find a Filipina maid who will be able to communicate with your kids.

Good luck!

Last edited by Norm_uk; Aug 3rd 2008 at 7:57 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:13 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, does anyone know what are the wages being applied, in general?
I think it is in the region of 1600 dhs a month, but are you aware that you have to sponsor this maid and give her a visa etc?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

From what we have found, it is about 1500 dhs a month for the maids wages, and in addition, sponsorship (5000 dhs?) plus annual return flights home (?? dhs) and medical costs (?? dhs).
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Filipino maid to start asap. To do house chores and help out with my 2 small boys (3 year old and 8 months).

It's for an apartment in Dubai Marina (near the Sheraton Hotel)

Can anyone help? Any sugestions on where to look?

Thanks.

You can get one through an agency, you can google the agencies that are in Dubai and then you can go and choose one from a catalogue. Don't believe all the skills they say they have.

Be aware that lots of maids want to work part-time if you find one here, but that is legal and you'd have little re-dress if she stole from you or mucked you around. If you sponsor one and it doesn't work out you usually have a 3 month period with the agency to replace the maid.

I've had several maids - they can all be a pain in the butt but I have a great one at the moment who is worth her weight in gold. Just be firm about her speaking on the mobile/phone during work hours. The salary is about Dh1,400 per month with food, health card, uniform and for good measure you would be a good employer to give her an allowance for toiletries, a couple of outfits (jeans and t-shirts), undies, nightwear and shoes a couple of times a year. A phone card goes down well and an allowance for hair cuts regularly - then you know that you've done your bit.
Mine doesn't watch tv or go out in the week but has Friday off. She works hard and gets Christmas, Birthday pressies and Eidiya - she's been with me 4 years and wants to look after my grandchildren - which is good since I'm not planning on becoming a grandparent for many years.

Just do it the legal way to safeguard yourself.