Reload this Page >

Looking To Buy A Villa In Dubai - Info Needed

Looking To Buy A Villa In Dubai - Info Needed

Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Sambi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking To Buy A Villa In Dubai - Info Needed

Hello,

I'm thinking of buy a villa in Dubai, but I'd like to gather more info with regards to foreigners ownerships of real estate there.

Are foreigners required to pay all the amount upfront, or like I heard elsewhere, there are down-payments percentages out of the total amount, to be paid upfront.. then the rest is paid as monthly installments?

If so, what are the requirements and does it require employment in the UAE (residency of course)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking To Buy A Villa In Dubai - Info Needed

Originally Posted by Sambi
Hello,

I'm thinking of buy a villa in Dubai, but I'd like to gather more info with regards to foreigners ownerships of real estate there.

Are foreigners required to pay all the amount upfront, or like I heard elsewhere, there are down-payments percentages out of the total amount, to be paid upfront.. then the rest is paid as monthly installments?

If so, what are the requirements and does it require employment in the UAE (residency of course)?

Thanks in advance!
Can i ask why would you want to buy in Dubai ?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks in advance!
don't do it.... but if you are hell bent on the idea then buy a ready made one not off-plan. You can also mortgage them if you are feeling really brave.

Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Can i ask why would you want to buy in Dubai ?
errrr... because I may be moving there for a long time. Inputs appreciated.

@EmiratesMillhouse...

Why not do it, if you don't mind explaining? Yes, I actually want a ready made one.

Thanks.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

This is a wind up!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:32 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

go put all your money in a big pile in your garden, pour over petrol and light with a match.

congratulations you just simulated buying a house in dubai, except this way it cost you less and caused less of a headache oh and the legality of setting fire to your own money is well established unlike buying anything in the UAE
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

errrr... because I may be moving there for a long time. Inputs appreciated.

@EmiratesMillhouse...

Why not do it, if you don't mind explaining? Yes, I actually want a ready made one.

Thanks.
Ok... I will take this on face value as I'm bored and waiting for the kettle to boil.

Let's assume that you buy in somewhere like the springs, meadows, ranches or lakes (which are probably where you will end up).

1) Build quality on villas has proven to be pretty poor - do not think they will be here in 20 years or even 10 for that matter.
2) Maintenance costs are high and services charges are opaque. For example these areas have lots of greenery and fake lakes. Water is needed to maintain all of this and we live in a desert.

Water is expensive (and currently subsidised) - over the long term these costs will rocket - all of which will be passed on to you. Or worse still, someone will wake up see it's pointless to run a USD 2bn desalination plant (costs around 700m USD per year to run) just to water the Emirates Living Communities and turn it off. They will be brown and dead in 2 weeks.

3) Prices are still falling
4) As certain as you think your job is, it probably won't be. If you lose it you are out - owing a house doesn't give residency.
5) Rents are falling - you may well find that it is cheaper to rent rather than pay the mortgage interest and maintenance costs
6) The freehold laws are untested.
7) The market is dead ... it is unlikely you will be able to sell it on if you want to and don't think you will just be able to rent it out... there are a glut of these things and rents barely cover costs.
8) If you mortgage it (which would have to be done through a local bank) then it will be subject to Shiite Law... good luck.
9) Service charge defaulters... the upkeep costs of the communities is so high that owners are defaulting on their service charges (not one or 2, but 50% of them). Those that do pay will have to pick this up... or they will just cut the services.

Despite all of the above a part of me sometimes thinks it's better to buy than rent as it will pay for itself in 10 years - if there is value at the end then great, if not, who cares. Then I wake up and remember that due to the service charges, hidden costs and general urban decay that will happen it will probably take 25 years to pay back (if at all) and the thing won't be there.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jan 25th 2011 at 5:52 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

"Sambi"??

No............. couldn't be..............
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

1) Build quality on villas has proven to be pretty poor - do not think they will be here in 20 years or even 10 for that matter.
Thanks for the info. Though I've heard and read that the quality is Great. Maybe only for other residentials but not villas.

Water is expensive (and currently subsidized) - over the long term these costs will rocket - all of which will be passed on to you. Or worse still, someone will wake up see it's pointless to run a USD 2bn desalination plant (costs around 700m USD per year to run) just to water the Emirates Living Communities and turn it off. They will be brown and dead in 2 weeks.
Well, this is what I fear.. lol but it has also been speculated like many years ago, and yet, the guy seems to want to stick to his vision.

I don't think running a 2bn USD desalination plant that costs around 700m USD per year to run, is an issue for them. Although, it's still too much.

4) As certain as you think your job is, it probably won't be. If you lose it you are out - owing a house doesn't give residency.
Good point. Only thing that gives residency is getting a job? No other categories?

5) Rents are falling - you may well find that it is cheaper to rent rather than pay the mortgage interest and maintenance costs
It is always cheaper and better to buy (over the long term). You made me doubt getting one there though. If I did, I'd probably pay the full amount with no mortgage or interest to be an issue.

6) The freehold laws are untested.
How so? They've been implemented since 2002.

7) The market is dead ... it is unlikely you will be able to sell it on if you want to and don't think you will just be able to rent it out... there are a glut of these things and rents barely cover costs.
hmmmm... good point. However, I wasn't planning to sell anytime soon. But should ponder on this for a while.

8) If you mortgage it (which would have to be done through a local bank) then it will be subject to Shiite Law... good luck.
Do you mean Shariia Law, where there is no interest?

9) Service charge defaulters... the upkeep costs of the communities is so high that owners are defaulting on their service charges (not one or 2, but 50% of them). Those that do pay will have to pick this up... or they will just cut the services.
Wow! is it that bad? Do you happen to live or have lived there by any chance?

Despite all of the above a part of me sometimes thinks it's better to buy than rent as it will pay for itself in 10 years - if there is value at the end then great, if not, who cares.
Exactly my thinking.
Then I wake up and remember that due to the service charges, hidden costs and general urban decay that will happen it will probably take 25 years to pay back (if at all) and the thing won't be there.
K.... will look into it more. Thanks for your inputs!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
"Sambi"??

No............. couldn't be..............
couldn't be what??
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:34 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

you're going to get eaten alive.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shiva
you're going to get eaten alive.
I doubt that
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
I doubt that
2002 was the year to buy in Dubai. Show's over.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Though I've heard and read that the quality is Great. Maybe only for other residentials but not villas.

I am guessing either a developer told you this or a vendor who is trying to offload?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:03 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You obviously need to do more research (and I don't mean on here) especially with regard to UAE residency. I have visited many poorly constructed villas in the course of my work. On average, they have a life span of no more than 25 years, if you are lucky. It's not only the shoddy workmanship and inferior quality materials but also the oppressive summer climate. Do yourself a favour and look elsewhere to buy. They say that Turkey and Eastern Europe are good value right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.