Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

London to Lebanon!

London to Lebanon!

Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

bobalex2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London to Lebanon!

Hi all, my name is Bob. My partner and I are in the early stages of planning a move to Lebanon. My partners daughter, who is married to a Lebanese guy, lives in Tyre (south Lebanon) and her son has recently moved to Dubai. Can anyone help? We want to take our car along with our two dogs and one cat. The obvious route is across france, into northern Italy, then in to Turkey via Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia. Exiting Turkey into Syria then down to Lebanon. That would be a long and arduous drive, especially with the animals. Another option would be to drive to say Ancona in Italy, car ferry across to Greece then drive north to Istanbul then head south to Syria. I can't seem to find a car ferry from Italy, Greece, Turkey or Cyprus that will take us to Lebanon (whether it be one or 4 car ferries with various changes). Any suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London to Lebanon!

Originally Posted by bobalex2000
Hi all, my name is Bob. My partner and I are in the early stages of planning a move to Lebanon. My partners daughter, who is married to a Lebanese guy, lives in Tyre (south Lebanon) and her son has recently moved to Dubai. Can anyone help? We want to take our car along with our two dogs and one cat. The obvious route is across france, into northern Italy, then in to Turkey via Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia. Exiting Turkey into Syria then down to Lebanon. That would be a long and arduous drive, especially with the animals. Another option would be to drive to say Ancona in Italy, car ferry across to Greece then drive north to Istanbul then head south to Syria. I can't seem to find a car ferry from Italy, Greece, Turkey or Cyprus that will take us to Lebanon (whether it be one or 4 car ferries with various changes). Any suggestions would be most welcome and appreciated.
Cant help you with the journey maybe confi will be able, but lucky you, great place, would move there in a heartbeat if I had a an opportunity to.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:45 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

would it not be easier to fly the animals? paperwork wise I mean?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Sell the car, and fly the whole clan to Beirut...
If you are afraid of flying and want to enjoy the scenery, then take the train from London, not the fast going TGVs etc, all the way to Athens, and from there take a boat to Rhodes and then Cyprus and then to Jounieh/Beirut...

You'll thank me later...
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Confucius
Sell the car, and fly the whole clan to Beirut...
If you are afraid of flying and want to enjoy the scenery, then take the train from London, not the fast going TGVs etc, all the way to Athens, and from there take a boat to Rhodes and then Cyprus and then to Jounieh/Beirut...

You'll thank me later...
I'd have to agree with that, cars in lebanon are cheaper than the uk mostly, and having to drive the first day you arrive in beirut may be an eye-opener... although weirdly some people have started stopping for traffic lights.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cham128
I'd have to agree with that, cars in lebanon are cheaper than the uk mostly, and having to drive the first day you arrive in beirut may be an eye-opener... although weirdly some people have started stopping for traffic lights.
Yes...And they also drive on the right side of the road...
And the stopping for the lights is for the novelty factor...It's been ages since we had the Festivus poles on the streets...
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:13 am
W10

Last time I was there they were obeying the lights on 'Germayze' junction.

Apparently the new home minister is really turning things round