London 2 Dubai

Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

from_London_to_Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile London 2 Dubai

Hello all

Eid Mubarak! I hope you all had a refreshing break. I am moving to Dubai around end September and will be working for a consulting firm in the downtown area. I was hoping to find a studio around there as I wouldn't be driving and don't want to spend a lot of time commuting (I'm going to have crazy work hours!). My living allowance is 5K/month (housing, furnishing, transport etc...)

A friend however suggested that I should look at Bur Dubai as it is fairly cheap and convenient when it comes to access to supermarkets and other local amenities.

Areas such as Dubai Marina, JBR, Tecom, Greens etc... are probably out of the window due to the long commute to downtown. Following my research so far (googling) I am looking at Downtown vs Bur Dubai. I have looked at some developments in Downtown (8 bouleward walk, lofts, burj views) but don't know anything about Bur Dubai. Most of the studios I've looked at come unfurnished and rent payments are required to be settles in one or cheques.

Is it easy to find a place without the help of estate agents i.e. approaching the landlords directly? From my understanding most landlords charge a fee of 3K.

I'd like to get your thoughts on the above and any other places you might recommend me to stay. I will have 2 weeks of temporary accommodation when I get there so hoping to find something within that time.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Imran
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ilford_or_Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London 2 Dubai

Originally Posted by from_London_to_Dubai
Hello all

Eid Mubarak! I hope you all had a refreshing break. I am moving to Dubai around end September and will be working for a consulting firm in the downtown area. I was hoping to find a studio around there as I wouldn't be driving and don't want to spend a lot of time commuting (I'm going to have crazy work hours!). My living allowance is 5K/month (housing, furnishing, transport etc...)

A friend however suggested that I should look at Bur Dubai as it is fairly cheap and convenient when it comes to access to supermarkets and other local amenities.

Areas such as Dubai Marina, JBR, Tecom, Greens etc... are probably out of the window due to the long commute to downtown. Following my research so far (googling) I am looking at Downtown vs Bur Dubai. I have looked at some developments in Downtown (8 bouleward walk, lofts, burj views) but don't know anything about Bur Dubai. Most of the studios I've looked at come unfurnished and rent payments are required to be settles in one or cheques.

Is it easy to find a place without the help of estate agents i.e. approaching the landlords directly? From my understanding most landlords charge a fee of 3K.

I'd like to get your thoughts on the above and any other places you might recommend me to stay. I will have 2 weeks of temporary accommodation when I get there so hoping to find something within that time.

Imran
on a diff topic. How did u land the job and how long did u job hunt pls?
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

from_London_to_Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Managed to get the interviews through networking, job hunt took about 6/7 months.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Ilford_or_Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Managed to get the interviews through networking, job hunt took about 6/7 months.
Ok thanks for letting me know :-) Good luck with the Dxb move...
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:22 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

There's not a huge difference in commute, time-wise, to Downtown from either New Dubai or Bur Dubai - the former is due to distance, the latter due to traffic.

Downtown rents are high but it's worth it - depending where your office is, you can easily walk to work there and there's little need to have a car (being Dubai, you'll still want one very quickly though). Most of the cheaper places in Downtown aren't that convenient for the metro though. Even then, 5k a month is going to be a stretch. That'd get you a 1br in TECOM with change left over...

The studios in Burj Views are quite nice and I think it's a nicer development than 8 Boulevard Walk. Yes, most are unfurnished but they do have decent built in kitchens.

Finally, finding a landlord to go to directly is a matter of luck. The market is dominated by agents - most property will have beween 3 and 40 agents trying to work it.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:09 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all

Imran
Originally Posted by Ilford_or_Dubai
on a diff topic. How did u land the job and how long did u job hunt pls?
welcome to BE