Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Location, location...

Location, location...

Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:54 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location...

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
But given the masses that cope it's doable.
Most of whom come from countries which are very hot and are acclimatised to it. Also they generally don't wear a whistle n flute with a tie. For a European they say 3 months to acclimatise, but I doubt you ever get used to it.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to keep banging on it as it's clear people will have different experiences and it's probably true that different factors will greatly affect your ability to cope with walking 15 minutes in the heat. But I'll just say it wasn't too bad for me and I didn't arrive at my destinations soaking wet. Most of the time, that is

Originally Posted by mikewot
Most of whom come from countries which are very hot and are acclimatised to it. Also they generally don't wear a whistle n flute with a tie. For a European they say 3 months to acclimatise, but I doubt you ever get used to it.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

Mike,

I find most of your posts on this thread are quite presumptuous and rather condescending. I'm sure you are able to offer useful information as the guides you have written prove, if you have anything constructive to add please continue to contribute.

Thank you

Last edited by Kakawax; Feb 10th 2016 at 5:37 am.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:38 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kakawax
Mike,

I find most of your posts on this thread are quite presumptuous and rather condescending. I'm sure you are able to offer useful information as the guides you have written prove, if you have anything constructive to add please continue to contribute
La di dah! Get you :-) You will need to develop a thicker skin in order to survive out here.
But don't worry sweetie I am finishing work here in 7 weeks time and do not intend to darken this forums portals again ;-) In the interim suck it up buttercup.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Mike,

I find most of your posts on this thread are quite presumptuous and rather condescending. I'm sure you are able to offer useful information as the guides you have written prove, if you have anything constructive to add please continue to contribute.

Thank you
Basically, what DXB said above is correct - everyone is different.

Mikewot is giving you a heads up. In the summer, it's ****ing boiling. Not hot, not warm, not tolerable, it's ****ing roasting. Metro works great this time of year, a 10min walk is lovely, it's enjoyable, it's pleasant, it's like you're a normal person in a normal city again.

In August, that 10min walk to a lot of people, is hateful. I personally think I'd struggle with it and would be uncomfortable and wouldn't enjoy the commute. I'd rather get in an air conditioned cab, or even better - my own car.

You'll get here, you'll work out if it works for you or doesn't. Just remember that the metro isn't actually that convenient. It just goes along SZR. Need cabs both ends normally.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

La di dah! Get you :-) You will need to develop a thicker skin in order to survive out here.
But don't worry sweetie I am finishing work here in 7 weeks time and do not intend to darken this forums portals again ;-) In the interim suck it up buttercup.
It sounds like a break will do you good.
Good luck with the move.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scamp
In August, that 10min walk to a lot of people, is hateful. I personally think I'd struggle with it and would be uncomfortable and wouldn't enjoy the commute
That's because you're a fat biffer ;-)
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

That's because you're a fat biffer ;-)
That....and strolling for 10 minutes in 45 degrees isn't normal behaviour.

All that said - I play golf through the whole of summer. So there you go.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Mikewot is giving you a heads up. In the summer, it's ****ing boiling. Not hot, not warm, not tolerable, it's ****ing roasting.
Heheh no shit.!

Anyway... it's a long term move and I'll find my feet well before the real hot stuff kicks in.

Airco - check
Cold Beer - check
Flights home for a fortnight - check
Bear Grylls undercrackers - aww yeah
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:58 am
Account Closed

Heheh no shit.!

Anyway... it's a long term move and I'll find my feet well before the real hot stuff kicks in.

Airco - check
Cold Beer - check
Flights home for a fortnight - check
Bear Grylls undercrackers - aww yeah
It's fundamentally fine though. I've been here 5 years and although the summers are wank, they're bearable. I'm convinced 4 months of shit heat is better than 8 months of rain and grey and misery and UK.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:02 am
Account Closed

I'm convinced 4 months of shit heat is better than 8 months of rain and grey and misery and UK.
But you can dress for the cold and wet :-)
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

It's fundamentally fine though. I've been here 5 years and although the summers are wank, they're bearable. I'm convinced 4 months of shit heat is better than 8 months of rain and grey and misery and UK.
Absolutely mate.... obviously going out is going to be a lot more limited in the summer and timing/planning is everything, but more time to practice the guitar, clean the bike, iron my shorts
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

But you can dress for the cold and wet :-)
I've got winter jackets and jumpers for sale if you're interested Mike
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:09 am
Account Closed

Absolutely mate.... obviously going out is going to be a lot more limited in the summer and timing/planning is everything, but more time to practice the guitar
Everything just goes inside, which makes some things better - EG: Al Qasr brunch. I don't particularly like it but it's a crowd pleaser. In summer, it's too hot for tables outside and makes it a nice level of busy inside. In winter, the number of diners increases by 100% I reckon. Which makes it shit inside because it's ****ing packed with knobheads.

But, then again, nipping outside for a burner in summer is hateful.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing stops for me in summer. I do not do anything differently really. Even the desert stuff or running.

I like wax-a-crack's attitude. I just want to know why he's so sure it's a long-term move? for many it isn;t

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.