Reload this Page >

Living oustside a Compound in KSA

Living oustside a Compound in KSA

Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

VenExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living oustside a Compound in KSA

It's not permitted to drink alcohol in KSA, but it still happens
Well... I have plenty of doubts... I know that the alcohol is strictly prohibited in the KSA, but what It's suposed to be the role of the police if they catch somebody drinking a pint?... They really chase the people who illegaly sell/buy alcohol?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:06 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
A Fili nurse I talk to online says at least one of them gets molested when they go out, even in a group, by a variety of nationalities.

Don't neglect the personal safety of any females in your entourage. Time will tell if the niqab is a readily accepted option.
What do you mean by molested though ?

Physically or just some guy trying to chat them up ?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
What do you mean by molested though ?

Physically or just some guy trying to chat them up ?
Physically

Originally Posted by VenExpat
Well... I have plenty of doubts... I know that the alcohol is strictly prohibited in the KSA, but what It's suposed to be the role of the police if they catch somebody drinking a pint?... They really chase the people who illegaly sell/buy alcohol?
Yes! For religious reasons. You'll also find that there are those amongst your fellow countrymen, who identify by putting their religion before "British", will grass you up if they so much as hear about anything happening of the sort on KSA soil.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Yes! For religious reasons. You'll also find that there are those amongst your fellow countrymen, who identify by putting their religion before "British", will grass you up if they so much as hear about anything happening of the sort on KSA soil.
I have reading some blogs and the blogers says that can drinks as much as they want in the compounds.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

** Duplicated... again **
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:39 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Physically molested everytime they go out !! Sounds a bit extreme. Where are they and where are they going out ?
It's not like there's that many places to go . Apart from the mall , supermarket , restaurant ect where can you go ?
What are the mates doing when this happens as well ?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Physically molested everytime they go out !! Sounds a bit extreme. Where are they and where are they going out ?
It's not like there's that many places to go . Apart from the mall , supermarket , restaurant ect where can you go ?
What are the mates doing when this happens as well
It's a very tough situation... I expect that my wife and kids have a "normal" life while I'm working and for me, it won't pleasant to know that she is chased by men in the street.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Which city are you looking at? When I was in Jeddah I never had a problem with that type of harassment, nor have any of the people who were there with me and live there still - a few young guys (late teens/early 20s) that used to hang out their car in shopping centre car parks and ask "Will you marry me" or shout "I love you" and of course the usual open mouthed staring (well leering/ogling really) of any TCN man at anything that resembles a female walking into their field of vision, particularly as a scarf never touched my head in the entire time I was there!

I was never physically assaulted, but then I am white anglo and they don't take quite so many liberties as they do with other nationalities...... or maybe I'm just scary ;P

As for the drink - its on every compound, but it is still illegal. Whilst the authorities can ignore it on the western compounds they will - but if it becomes more "public" then they are sort of forced to act. I think that discretion is the best thing to advise......
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Dragonladyoz... many thanks for your comment.

So Far, I will be living Jeddah or King Abdulah Economico City... I was checking some compounds in that area but are quite expensive, the housing allowance is not enough to cover it, so I was recommended live in normal residential area.

This will be my first experience in the Middle East, so, any information I can get, will be very important
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Dragonladyoz... many thanks for your comment.

So Far, I will be living Jeddah or King Abdulah Economico City... I was checking some compounds in that area but are quite expensive, the housing allowance is not enough to cover it, so I was recommended live in normal residential area.

This will be my first experience in the Middle East, so, any information I can get, will be very important
Old Sep 20th 2013, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

I felt safe in Jeddah - but I did stick to the main shopping areas, hotels, restaurants when alone. If I went to one of the smaller souks in the city it was always with a female friend.

My driver and the driver of my friend were very good - they knew the areas where there was most likely to be trouble for us and they would simply tell us it wasn't a good idea to go there by ourselves (or not drive us there) telling us that we should come to look at it with our husbands.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Dragonladyoz,

Have you heard anything about King Abdulah Economic City?...Which zones in Jeddah (No compound) do you recommend to live in?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Greystar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VenExpat
Hi Friends,

I was offered for a job in Saudi Arabia with a well known company there. They provide a housing in a company compound, but due the city is very small and the education resources are very limited, they recommend to live in the nearest big city located at 70 kms from the company and the will provide a housing allowance to pay the rent.

The allowance is not enough to pay a house within a compound, so I would have to rent in the "normal" residential area. What do you think about it?... is recommendable to live in a "normal" area being a western citizen?... The western citizen use to live only in a compound or there are many expats living outside?

I will be moving out with my family, mi wife and pre-teenager daughter, so, my intention is to make the cultural impact the less shocking possible.
VenExpat, Congratulation !!! Did you get any response from AL HOSN Gas. I have sent you PM please read and responsed.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Can't really give any advise about that as all my experience is about compounds!
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Grey, Al Hosn didn't contact me again. They seem to be a unserious company. So far, I got an opportunity in KSA.

Can't really give any advise about that as all my experience is about compounds!
Hi Dragonladyoz... the problem with the compounds is the prices... It's really expensive to rent there and the allowance provided is not enough to pay it, that mean that I would have to take a considerable part of my salary to complete the rent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.