Living in Egypt

Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

flowergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Egypt

Hello, DH has just arrived in Cairo to start work on a new job. He needs to find somewhere to live (hotel paid for first week only) and I have promised to find out what I can - it has all happened very, very quickly! Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find some useful information on accommodation etc in Cairo? TIA
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Egypt

Originally Posted by flowergirl
Hello, DH has just arrived in Cairo to start work on a new job. He needs to find somewhere to live (hotel paid for first week only) and I have promised to find out what I can - it has all happened very, very quickly! Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find some useful information on accommodation etc in Cairo? TIA
My only advice would be to take on a very short term let. Cairo is not an easy place to live.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:07 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

I think you're it for Egypt on here.

I remember another question like this a long time ago and no one answered.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:01 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Cairo is (obviously) a very big place. There are some good places to live, and some not so good. The biggest factor will be where your husband works as the less distance you travel, the better.

Taxis are cheap (and tatty and dangerous) and cars are expensive and traffic is absolutely MENTAL!! even worse than saudi.

Probably the most popular expat area is Maadi. I would suggest there.

If you need any more info I can find some things out if you like, and you can give a better idea of what kind of thing you want (is it just you and husband or do you have kids?)
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Hello, just DH on his own for now. He is working in City Stars and wants to find an inexpensive apartment nearby. I may join him with the kids next year. Have asked around on another forum and Al-Rehab was recommended. Do you know it?
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

If he is working in Citystars, he should also consider looking around heliopolis. Not as big an expat community as in Maadi though, but will be handy for CityStars. Maadi is much nicer, but a 20 or 30 minute commute (on a good day) an often dangerous beltway. If you want to be in town go for Zamalek, although again, you will have a 30 minute commute on a congested route.

Last edited by weescot; Nov 17th 2009 at 6:57 am. Reason: brain not fully engaged....
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weescot
If he is working in Citystars, he should also consider looking around heliopolis. Not as big an expat community as in Maadi though, but will be handy for CityStars. Maadi is much nicer, but a 20 or 30 minute commute (on a good day) an often dangerous beltway. If you want to be in town go for Zamalek, although again, you will have a 30 minute commute on a congested route.
Hello, he is taking on a flat that is being vacated so okay for now. I have until next September to find a school - assuming we decide to join him. Will look at Al-Rehab and Heliopolis, but hope to visit him after Xmas and will get a much better idea of where places are.

BTW What is Cairo like for finding school places?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, he is taking on a flat that is being vacated so okay for now. I have until next September to find a school - assuming we decide to join him. Will look at Al-Rehab and Heliopolis, but hope to visit him after Xmas and will get a much better idea of where places are.

If you join him, live in Maadi. All the expat schools/communities are there. I don't know about availability of school places - my friend easily found a place for her daughter at the Oz school there and it was very good. REcommend he get a driver to take him to/from work (plenty and reasonable cost)- driving is not recommended in or immediately around Cairo, except Maadi - which is less crazy.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

What a lucky 'flowergirl' you are................

Since Egypt isn't under any circumstances a "Middle Eastern" country, you might have expected to draw a blank here - but you've actually had some informative and encouraging answers.

It's your lucky day/week.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Dean

Since Egypt isn't under any circumstances a "Middle Eastern" country, you might have expected to draw a blank here - but you've actually had some informative and encouraging answers.

True, Egypt is geographically Africa (except the Siani of course) and culturally Arab. As there is no "Africa" Forum (surprised as it is a very big area and expats are all over), I suppose it was the only place for flower girl to post ....
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weescot
True, Egypt is geographically Africa (except the Siani of course) and culturally Arab. As there is no "Africa" Forum (surprised as it is a very big area and expats are all over), I suppose it was the only place for flower girl to post ....
Yes, I did try posting in the 'Africa' forum but had no response. It seems to cover mostly SA. Did see a couple of postings about Egypt on here before and know there are Egyptians working in the ME/expats in the ME who have worked/lived in Egypt before, so fairly well linked.

Anyway, thank you for your help. DH is sorted out now - he will be taking on the apartment of a colleague who is leaving. Hasn't told me where it is yet... so I'm just looking at schools now, but we're a way off having to make any decision.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

edinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of lightedinburger is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, I did try posting in the 'Africa' forum but had no response. It seems to cover mostly SA. Did see a couple of postings about Egypt on here before and know there are Egyptians working in the ME/expats in the ME who have worked/lived in Egypt before, so fairly well linked.

Anyway, thank you for your help. DH is sorted out now - he will be taking on the apartment of a colleague who is leaving. Hasn't told me where it is yet... so I'm just looking at schools now, but we're a way off having to make any decision.
Good luck with the move, I studied there for a while and have a kind of love/hate relationaship with Cairo. Horrible during the day but amazing at night. Try to get to Zemalek and try out Pub 28.....good beer, amazing french onion soup and rude waiters all you could want!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:07 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

What ages are your children?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Egypt is part of the MENA.

It's a Magreb country.

Culturally it is lumped in with the rest of the Middle East.

Originally Posted by The Dean

Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Egypt is part of the MENA.

It's a Magreb country.

Culturally it is lumped in with the rest of the Middle East.
"Culturally"? So what??

What next? "Culturally", Australia is part of England.................?

Geographically, the Middle East ends on the west coast of Saudi/Yemen. Egypt is an African country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.