Living in Dubai

Old May 23rd 2007, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Mr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really nice
Default Living in Dubai

Hello to you all and apologises for the newbie questions (which have been asked before I'm sure).

I'm looking for some advice on Dubai as I am considering a move there depending on the package offer from the company.

I have read a lot about the staggering rent and unscrupulous landlords and everything in general being rather expensive but I am unable to assess yet the extend of the 'support package' offered and how this actually weights up. I have been told that it includes accommodation allowance, travel allowance etc. However, it is not clear how much this will actually be.

So, for those who have moved out to Dubai and have had similar packages, what are the main things to be aware of?

In addition what areas are considered to be a good place to live (for families)and don't have too much of an arduous daily travel to the airport.

As you can tell I am completely new to this and would appreciate any tips, experience and general views on living in Dubai.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Mr D
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:27 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Dubai

Originally Posted by Mr D
Hello to you all and apologises for the newbie questions (which have been asked before I'm sure).

I'm looking for some advice on Dubai as I am considering a move there depending on the package offer from the company.

I have read a lot about the staggering rent and unscrupulous landlords and everything in general being rather expensive but I am unable to assess yet the extend of the 'support package' offered and how this actually weights up. I have been told that it includes accommodation allowance, travel allowance etc. However, it is not clear how much this will actually be.

So, for those who have moved out to Dubai and have had similar packages, what are the main things to be aware of?

In addition what areas are considered to be a good place to live (for families)and don't have too much of an arduous daily travel to the airport.

As you can tell I am completely new to this and would appreciate any tips, experience and general views on living in Dubai.

Mr D
find out the accommodation allowance.. most allowances no longer cover the cost of renting here anymore
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

clifford has much to be proud ofclifford has much to be proud ofclifford has much to be proud ofclifford has much to be proud ofclifford has much to be proud ofclifford has much to be proud ofclifford has much to be proud ofclifford has much to be proud ofclifford has much to be proud ofclifford has much to be proud ofclifford has much to be proud of

If you have kids in school see if they will pay there fees
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:53 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome mr D.....

there is loads of info already on this board, so if you do a search you'll find most of your questions answered. There is also the wiki link on the top of the page of the ME forum.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute

The drive to work really depends on where you work and where you choose to live.

Let us know where you will be working and we should be able to opine a little more accuratly for you.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=matthew.lewis2;4820215]The drive to work really depends on where you work and where you choose to live./quote]
lol...that's the sort of blonde thing i would normally say!

MM, xx
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:51 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matthew.lewis2
The drive to work really depends on where you work and where you choose to live.

Let us know where you will be working and we should be able to opine a little more accuratly for you.

He mentioned a drive to the airport, so I presume he'll be somewhere near there.

You could look at Garhoud or Mirdif - not as expensive as some other areas.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Mr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really niceMr D is just really nice

Hi again and thanks to all who have replied so soon.

Yes as indicated place of work would be close to the airport. Have read reviews on bad traffic and was looking at minimising the 'stop and go' morning routine.

Meow: you mentioned Garhoud or Mirdif, are these still good areas?

Tried to find more about the 'allowances' but have not got anything confirmed yet. I suppose this is going to be the key, based on what many threads have said.

Cheers all,

Mr D
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:46 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again and thanks to all who have replied so soon.

Yes as indicated place of work would be close to the airport. Have read reviews on bad traffic and was looking at minimising the 'stop and go' morning routine.

Meow: you mentioned Garhoud or Mirdif, are these still good areas?

Tried to find more about the 'allowances' but have not got anything confirmed yet. I suppose this is going to be the key, based on what many threads have said.

Cheers all,

Mr D
They're fine, but Mirdiff is right under the approach path to the airport. And they fly all night.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Mr D
I would think AED 30,000 to cover costs (comfortably) PLUS what you need to save - for a family of 4 - 2 school going kids:

3bed villa near villa in a compound- AED 140k p.a. ++ Add 5% rent tax.
Useful rental info:

http://archive.gulfnews.com/uae/uaes.../10071266.html

Utilities : Average monthly AED 1,000 (more if you have a garden)

Internet: AED 189 - speed 256kbs ; AED 249 - speed 512kbs

Schools: Primary; British - AED 30,000 to 40,000 p.a.
High School British: AED 35,000 - 60,000 p.a.

Groceries: AED 2,000 p.m for a family of 4

Domestic Help:
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10101552.html

Very handy info - the UAE labour law:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
UAELabourLaw.pdf (415.6 KB, 163 views)
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:11 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
I would think AED 30,000 to cover costs (comfortably) PLUS what you need to save - for a family of 4 - 2 school going kids:

3bed villa near villa in a compound- AED 140k p.a. ++ Add 5% rent tax.
Useful rental info:

http://archive.gulfnews.com/uae/uaes.../10071266.html

Utilities : Average monthly AED 1,000 (more if you have a garden)

Internet: AED 189 - speed 256kbs ; AED 249 - speed 512kbs

Schools: Primary; British - AED 30,000 to 40,000 p.a.
High School British: AED 35,000 - 60,000 p.a.

Groceries: AED 2,000 p.m for a family of 4

Domestic Help:
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10101552.html

Very handy info - the UAE labour law:
IG, I would double that Grocery bill.

I earn more than 30k and we struggle. Hence my family is going back to the UK. I would go for 40k at least if you're sole loaf-champion.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:13 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy

I earn more than 30k and we struggle. Hence my family is going back to the UK. I would go for 40k at least if you're sole loaf-champion.
more than 30K - is that just your salary or full package??
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

>30,000 and you struggle........ Do you eat gold nuggets?

Apart from my rent (which is low)our basic expenses (food, clothing and education) works out to less than 20k a month.

I have not included expenses like car (see separate thread on that), electronics, gizmos (my 4 yo has her own laptop), entertainment , holidays etc- as this down to the individual - how much he wants to spend.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:47 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
>30,000 and you struggle........ Do you eat gold nuggets?

Apart from my rent (which is low)our basic expenses (food, clothing and education) works out to less than 20k a month.

I have not included expenses like car (see separate thread on that), electronics, gizmos (my 4 yo has her own laptop), entertainment , holidays etc- as this down to the individual - how much he wants to spend.
No, just chicken nuggets.

That is my complete package. My rent is high (not as lucky as some!), and the little one starts school this September.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:48 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

No, just chicken nuggets.

That is my complete package. My rent is high (not as lucky as some!), and the little one starts school this September.
ours is less

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.