Living in Al Ain

Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:57 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

fab news LynR ! I am sure the guys on here will take care of you, especially Grace.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

I am living in The Hilton for now so if you want to contact me and meet up please let me know and we can arrange something over a coffee or a glass of something nice and chilled
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:05 am
cant make up my mind

LynR is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds great Grace - will keep in contact - thank you
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:26 am
Just Joined

FT2295 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by someone in al ain
These all the numbers i know for people who are able to find houses for people.

There are agents and hope they can help you

1- 0507537844 Ebrahim
2- 0503862411 Abdollah
3- 0505435535 mohammed
4- 0503304210 Yaser
5- 0508321516 Ali
6- 0503336027 no name
7- 050693055 sudanese guy but forgot his name
8- 0503333630 forgot his name too
do any these have web sites etc ?
are car-boot sales in Al Ain or second hand shops or Markets etc ?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:28 am
Just Joined

FT2295 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by larnie
Hey

We have been here 18 months now and are on the move to a new assignment in St Petersburg. We lived at the Intercontinental for the first 8 months and rented cars. Subsequently we bought two cars and rented a 4 bedroom plus maids, 4 bathroom duplex and furnished it with new furniture pruchased here in AA. In hindsight we wish we had stayed at the Intercon. Life here is unpredictable so our view is to keep yourself unencumbered so that you can move on if necessary at the drop of a hat. As it is we now have to sell our cars, on lease our duplex and sell our furniture. Quite frankly given all the added costs of setting up home we know we would have been better off staying at the Intercon and paying what may have seemed a higher monthly rental. Take into consideration: fully serviced home so no housework or maid costs, electricity, water, access to pool and gym, bars, restaurants, service cars, insurance, initial outlay or loan payments etc etc etc. I would advice caution. Life here is fantastic but it is also unpretictable.

Love

Larni
how much is a typical serviced apartment ?
i have tried several web sites of developers but none seem to have properties for rent in Al Ain
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Out of Africa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LynR
omg - hubby has just heard that they want to see him in AD for another interview - you know when something sounds great and you consider it and then it becomes more real and then it is very scarey!!!!! Dont know when we will be visiting AD but it will be soon so watch this space as if we have a chance to look round Al Ain I would love to meet up with any of you for advice or to tell us where to go etc.

Thanks for everyone's support

Hi LynR

There's absolutely no need to be scared about coming to Al Ain, I've been here for nearly six months now and I can honestly say that I wasn't that pleased to be here in the beginning. But when I discovered this thread and started meeting the folk on this site, it changed my whole perspective. You will have to go a long way to meet a nicer group of people - and we have started organising outings for the ladies (and the guys if they're around). For instance, yesterday about 10 of us hired a mini bus and driver and went to visit the Blue Souq in Sharjah. We have quite a few other suggestions and ideas for future trips, both frivolous and cultural.

The only thing about living in Al Ain that could be considered a negative, is that everything happens slowly here and takes time - but we're not in a hurry, some of us are going nowhere soon so are prepared to be a bit laid back about it.

And I really think that we need to have a grand get -together very soon so that all the newbies can meet us and everyone else.

Hope that the above helps to put the worries to bed!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Out of Africa
Hi LynR

There's absolutely no need to be scared about coming to Al Ain, I've been here for nearly six months now and I can honestly say that I wasn't that pleased to be here in the beginning. But when I discovered this thread and started meeting the folk on this site, it changed my whole perspective. You will have to go a long way to meet a nicer group of people - and we have started organising outings for the ladies (and the guys if they're around). For instance, yesterday about 10 of us hired a mini bus and driver and went to visit the Blue Souq in Sharjah. We have quite a few other suggestions and ideas for future trips, both frivolous and cultural.

The only thing about living in Al Ain that could be considered a negative, is that everything happens slowly here and takes time - but we're not in a hurry, some of us are going nowhere soon so are prepared to be a bit laid back about it.

And I really think that we need to have a grand get -together very soon so that all the newbies can meet us and everyone else.

Hope that the above helps to put the worries to bed!
Two simple questions: (1) Where in Africa are you from? and; (2) What do they sell at the Blue Souq?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:40 pm
cant make up my mind

LynR is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like we should form an african contingent I am originally from Rhodesia (Zimbabwe), then moved to South Africa, then to UK and now perhaps to UAE - bring it on - and a slower pace of life sounds brilliant and very much like home used to be - no rush in Africa so they say.

Great to meet you all.

Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

djenuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Im a Newbie .... 2 wks Old ...lol
Im in accomodation for 3 mths then I gotta Get a Place ....I guess best ta start looking Now ...huh
I'd like to learn ta drive as well ... Any thots Pls
Thanks for tha Wealth of Info ...
Hopefully Get ta meet u all .....Soon
Djen
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

djenuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LynR
sounds like we should form an african contingent I am originally from Rhodesia (Zimbabwe), then moved to South Africa, then to UK and now perhaps to UAE - bring it on - and a slower pace of life sounds brilliant and very much like home used to be - no rush in Africa so they say.

Great to meet you all.

Well ... Talking Bout tha African Contingent ...I was born in tha Uk...
But Im from Ghana In West Africa ...but been lucky enuff ta have lived all Over ...lol
Djen
Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Out of Africa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
Two simple questions: (1) Where in Africa are you from? and; (2) What do they sell at the Blue Souq?
Right, to answer your questions - I'm from South Africa but have lived in Botswana and Vietnam for quite large periods of time.

And they sell most of the stuff you would expect to find in a souq, at the Blue Souq. It's all indoors with aircon, and the building is decorated with blue mosaic tiles on the outside, hence the name Blue Souq. Although, as we learned on Monday, don't tell the driver you want to go to the Blue Souq, it took him AGES of driving around in the traffic in Sharjah and having to stop and ask many people for directions. It is known as the Central Souq in Sharjah. Oh, and they also have a large gold souq there, but we didn't have time to do that one. Maybe we'll have to do another trip - and get a larger bus this time for all the newbies to come along.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:41 am
Just Joined

garyhowells is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FT2295
do any these have web sites etc ?
are car-boot sales in Al Ain or second hand shops or Markets etc ?
Thank you so much for this information. Much appreciated.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shammy
Hi, call Jamal - He is a fantastic agent - totally trustworthy and down the line. Let him know you got the number from Kit and Hayley. Tel 050 4936488.
Good Luck,
Shammy
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by someone in al ain
These all the numbers i know for people who are able to find houses for people.

There are agents and hope they can help you

1- 0507537844 Ebrahim
2- 0503862411 Abdollah
3- 0505435535 mohammed
4- 0503304210 Yaser
5- 0508321516 Ali
6- 0503336027 no name
7- 050693055 sudanese guy but forgot his name
8- 0503333630 forgot his name too
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

pharmacyprofessor is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,
Greetings!
I'm new to the forum and would like to know more about Al Ain. I'm an american of asian origin and offered a teaching position at AUST. I'm waiting for an official offer which i'm told will be given to me by Sunday. I've looked at their webbiest and came to know that they provide Dirhams 55,000 for the family accommodation. what do you guys say? How about the children schools? I came to know through this thread about 2 international schools providing HS education following american curriculum. It's my understanding that the AUST don't provide a reasonable children education allowance so in that case i will have to take some money out from my salary to pay for their school expenses.
What do you think about the salary and other benefits? I have a Phd and 16 years of teaching and research experience which includes 10 years in the US.

Any help/information will be highly appreciated!
I'm really impressed by the kind of support you folks provide to the prospective expats community.
Cheers,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.