Living in Al Ain

Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by scarab1
Have some technology questions that I was hoping someone might have an answer for....

- When we first fly into Abu Dhabi, is there any chance that the borders/customs officials will confiscate our ipods, Kindle, laptop and external hard drive? We are in the process of taking anything "controversial" off of them but we want to bring our music collection and family photos.

-I am looking into getting a VPN and have been looking at the Witopia Cloakbox so that we can have wireless internet in our flat. Anyone have any experience using the cloakbox? And again, if we bring this to UAE in our luggage is it going to get confiscated?

thanks!

eh, no and no...unless the cloakbox comes in a big box saying "UK VPN, I'm here to break the law"!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Casta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really nice

Originally Posted by scarab1
Have some technology questions that I was hoping someone might have an answer for....

- When we first fly into Abu Dhabi, is there any chance that the borders/customs officials will confiscate our ipods, Kindle, laptop and external hard drive? We are in the process of taking anything "controversial" off of them but we want to bring our music collection and family photos.

-I am looking into getting a VPN and have been looking at the XXXXXXXXX so that we can have wireless internet in our flat. Anyone have any experience using the XXXXXX? And again, if we bring this to UAE in our luggage is it going to get confiscated?

thanks!
Have travelled back and forth from UAE to Europe over the course of many years and never had any electrical gadgets checked for illicit material. Music and photos are fine. The UAE is fairly liberal and as long as you're not bringing any "funny" stuff in you should be perfectly fine.

Have sent you PM w.r.t. the second bit.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

dagwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Just joined the forum. We are from London. My wife has accepted a teaching position with ADEC through Teachaway. They indicated we would more than likely be based in Al Ain. Her package is as follows
Salary 17,700 AED
Furniture Allowance 20,000 AED
ADEC will be providing accomodation. We have 4 kids. Doing the maths it seems we will be able to make ends meet with the school fees (AESS) etc.
I have some questions
Does anyone in this forum know what quality accomodation ADEC provide. We are visiting Dubai next week and have an appointment at AESS, so will be coming to Al Ain.
Also is 20,000 enough to furnish a 2/3 bedroom apartment ?
We have budgeted 3200 - 3500 per month for a car. Obviously we will need some sort of 7 seater mpv/suv. Will this be enough for this purpose
I have not yet found a job for myself. I am a network engineer. Is anyone currently working in the IT sector. Is anyone aware of any data network or security roles that may be available. I am constantly looking at all relevant sites Bayt, Monster, Clarendon Parker, Naukri Gulf etc I would envisage that most of the jobs would be in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by dagwood
Hi,
Just joined the forum. We are from London. My wife has accepted a teaching position with ADEC through Teachaway. They indicated we would more than likely be based in Al Ain. Her package is as follows
Salary 17,700 AED
Furniture Allowance 20,000 AED
ADEC will be providing accomodation. We have 4 kids. Doing the maths it seems we will be able to make ends meet with the school fees (AESS) etc. Make sure you can - you do NOT want to get into debt here! (Search "debt" on main middle east forum)
I have some questions
Does anyone in this forum know what quality accomodation ADEC provide. My friends are in the Hili complex and although I personally hate it and would never consider living there, they are happy We are visiting Dubai next week and have an appointment at AESS, so will be coming to Al Ain.
Also is 20,000 enough to furnish a 2/3 bedroom apartment ? Yes, should be enough to cover the essentails
We have budgeted 3200 - 3500 per month for a car. Obviously we will need some sort of 7 seater mpv/suv. Will this be enough for this purpose should be plenty to rent, my friends paid about 3000 per month for a 7 seater fortunter last year. if you rent, you will not be allowed to take it off road.
I have not yet found a job for myself. I am a network engineer. Is anyone currently working in the IT sector. Is anyone aware of any data network or security roles that may be available. I am constantly looking at all relevant sites Bayt, Monster, Clarendon Parker, Naukri Gulf etc I would envisage that most of the jobs would be in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Try searching the main middle east forum or posting this question on there. There are not many decent paid jobs for husbands in Al Ain, I know of two teachers husbands who can't find anything here. That being said you could be lucky and I hope you will be.
see above Good luck with your visit.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:15 am
Just Joined

made in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nice

alianvillafinder.com

What a waste of time... Couldn't help when we first arrived 11 months ago and failed to reply to my e-mails and enquiries now we are looking to move again. Maybe our budget is just not big enough for them??
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by made in manchester
alianvillafinder.com

What a waste of time... Couldn't help when we first arrived 11 months ago and failed to reply to my e-mails and enquiries now we are looking to move again. Maybe our budget is just not big enough for them??
The agent moved to RAK last Sept/Oct so I don't think they are so active in Al Ain as they used to be.
Why not try - http://www.alainexpat.com/ - Emma and Sandra are really friendly and helpful, OR if you are feeling brave, why not just tour round the areas you would like to live in and phone the numbers on the numerous empty villas.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
The agent moved to RAK last Sept/Oct so I don't think they are so active in Al Ain as they used to be.
Why not try - http://www.alainexpat.com/ - Emma and Sandra are really friendly and helpful, OR if you are feeling brave, why not just tour round the areas you would like to live in and phone the numbers on the numerous empty villas.
I have recently been looking at 1/2/3 bed apartments in Al Ain. I have plumped for a 1 right in the city centre, with a good view of the oasis and the mountains(6th floor!),with security etc for 45k. Prices seem to be coming down, according to all....

I had my pick of new 2 beds at 50k and a lovely new 3 bed for 60k. If you PM me I can pass on details of a couple of agents I have found to be good.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

gseany is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but know how helpful they can be! I have an interview for a job with STRATA in Al Ain and was wondering if there was anyone out there who works for the company, and what they are like to work for? Also my wife is a little worried about what there will be there for her to do? Are there any clubs or activities? We are mid 40's minus kids (they've flown the nest!) so don't have the school run to be able to meet people. Also has anyone shipped a dog out there? Any info would be much appreciated!
Old Apr 16th 2011, 9:14 am
Just Joined

GatehouseFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Can anyone recommend an opthamologist/optician to get your child's eyes tested.............mine is squinting at things!

Thanks!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

made in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nice

Originally Posted by flood2
I have recently been looking at 1/2/3 bed apartments in Al Ain. I have plumped for a 1 right in the city centre, with a good view of the oasis and the mountains(6th floor!),with security etc for 45k. Prices seem to be coming down, according to all....

I had my pick of new 2 beds at 50k and a lovely new 3 bed for 60k. If you PM me I can pass on details of a couple of agents I have found to be good.
Thanks, we have managed to get sorted I just wanted a rant about the lack of response from alainvillafinder. Made me feel better
Old Apr 18th 2011, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gseany
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but know how helpful they can be! I have an interview for a job with STRATA in Al Ain and was wondering if there was anyone out there who works for the company, and what they are like to work for? Also my wife is a little worried about what there will be there for her to do? Are there any clubs or activities? We are mid 40's minus kids (they've flown the nest!) so don't have the school run to be able to meet people. Also has anyone shipped a dog out there? Any info would be much appreciated!
Hi there,

I don't personally work for STRATA but i know a few people that do and they seem more than happy with them, I haven't heard of to many problems. They do say that the H.R department could be better but that is not unusual over here, you just need to be prepared for things to take a little longer than you would expect and you'll be fine.
I'm here with my wife and it did take a while for her to settle in but there are quite a few things to do, I know there was regular coffee mornings normally posted on here but i've not seen them for while so I don't know if they are still going. There is quite a good social scene and it's really easy to meet new friends, if i'm honest I found it easier to move over here than I did to move across town!!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, we have managed to get sorted I just wanted a rant about the lack of response from alainvillafinder. Made me feel better
use www.alainrelocations.com Sandra is a great help and will show you loads but better to be specific so not to waste anyones time looking at mansions that are out of budget
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

gseany is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I don't personally work for STRATA but i know a few people that do and they seem more than happy with them, I haven't heard of to many problems. They do say that the H.R department could be better but that is not unusual over here, you just need to be prepared for things to take a little longer than you would expect and you'll be fine.
I'm here with my wife and it did take a while for her to settle in but there are quite a few things to do, I know there was regular coffee mornings normally posted on here but i've not seen them for while so I don't know if they are still going. There is quite a good social scene and it's really easy to meet new friends, if i'm honest I found it easier to move over here than I did to move across town!!
Thanks for the info, the wifey is just a bit worried that she is going to be stuck at home all day with nothing to do and nowhere to go!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Human_Being is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie Questions....How long to come for, and how do you furnish?

Hi!

We are considering moving to Al Ain and doing online research. Thanks for the great thread

We want to try out Al Ain for one year. Anyone come for such a short time? Any thoughts on that?

What I can not figure out in regards to the housing search is where are the furnished places with applicances? I would like to arrive as though we are in a vacation apartment, and not have to search for a toaster or blender even! It usually takes us one year to set up a house the way we like it. So I would want to drop in to a rental all set up like a furnished home if possible, and can not find any thing about this option anywhere, though for a transient population it seems this should exist.

I will come for a job and my husband will stay home with out three kids- a baby under 1, a 2 year old, and 6 year old. They will not be in school, but will want a pool, some playgroups, and the 6 year old will want some classes like horse riding, dance, art, music etc. (house of arts stuff). He can find a job if we choose to stay. (Software engineer, any comments on how the job market is in al Ain for programmers?)

Thanks for any input!!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Newbie Questions....How long to come for, and how do you furnish?

Originally Posted by Human_Being
Hi!

We are considering moving to Al Ain and doing online research. Thanks for the great thread

We want to try out Al Ain for one year. Anyone come for such a short time? Any thoughts on that?

What I can not figure out in regards to the housing search is where are the furnished places with applicances? I would like to arrive as though we are in a vacation apartment, and not have to search for a toaster or blender even! It usually takes us one year to set up a house the way we like it. So I would want to drop in to a rental all set up like a furnished home if possible, and can not find any thing about this option anywhere, though for a transient population it seems this should exist.

I will come for a job and my husband will stay home with out three kids- a baby under 1, a 2 year old, and 6 year old. They will not be in school, but will want a pool, some playgroups, and the 6 year old will want some classes like horse riding, dance, art, music etc. (house of arts stuff). He can find a job if we choose to stay. (Software engineer, any comments on how the job market is in al Ain for programmers?)

Thanks for any input!!
There are no standalone holiday rentals here, however there are hotel apartments, such as the Al Massa which have two sites here in Al Ain. http://www.almasahotels.com/. However they don't have a pool but you can join one of the hotel leisure clubs, such as the Hiltonia, Danat, Rotana.

If you are homeschooling your 6 year old then there is an active homeschooling group in Al Ain which offers park get-togethers, and the people there will be in the right place to suggest other activities for your children.

Software engineer in Al Ain - you could be lucky but I wouldn't hold out much hope, keep a watch out on the jobs section of Gulfnews.com, or Monster Middle East.

Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.