Living in Al Ain

Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by JB22
Does anybody know about new villas etc bening built near the airport. looking at work out that way but have a 3 yr old so thinking of AAESS next September so located mid way or near the AAESS would be handy until my wife gets a car.
Also is there a HSBC in Al Ain. I have some concerns about setting up a UAE account and if possible would like to keep it with mu UK bank to hopefully make banking between the two countrys simpler. VPN connection should keep internet banking still an option, dont fancy having to go into branch veverytime I want to make a transaction.
There are heaps of new villas being built to the north of the town, you should have your pic. However, it is a fair distance to the AESS, I would be looking at Al Khabisi or the south of Markhaniya.

The HSBC bank in the UAE, from what I understand, is a franchise and is a separate entity from the UK/International company. New rules came in earlier this year, and your employer will have to pay your salary into an approved bank account, we're with NBAD (National Bank of Abu Dhabi) and are happy with them, we can send money overseas using internet banking but quite frankly we find it cheaper to go into the branch to send cash home - sometimes done on same day. By the way, you don't normally hear the words "banking", "UAE" and "simple" in the same sentence!

You don't need a VPN to do internet banking back in the UK, we use A&L internet bank and access it using etisalat.

Good luck with your prospective move!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

ChrisPayne is an unknown quantity at this point

@GatehouseFamily: Thanks for the offer of a big bottle! Fruit juice would be lovely as I don't drink -- or I'll give the bottle to my wife: she loves the occasional glass of red wine!

I wouldn't like to say about salary levels as I haven't asked around regarding what is low, average, good, very good. What can I say instead? Ask for more than you're getting back home after tax, I guess!

Maybe someone else on this forum can comment.

@aussie3953: Most of your questions seem to have been addressed by tlh. I'm not sure exactly what your question is regarding getting your girls to activities. If there's anything else I can answer, please fire away.

It's hot here at the moment: 48 degrees at 3pm the other day. I'm not out in it much, but I've been told that you get used to the heat. We arrived last August and it did seem uncomfortable at times, but it's hotter now than it was then and I seem to feel more okay with the heat, so I do think I've got used to it. I'm so glad I'm not in Abu Dhabi or Dubai where it's humid. The dry heat here is ideal.

@the person who sent me a private message: I haven't read this yet as I had blocked popups. So I've unblocked them and waiting to see when this forum prompts me to try reading it again!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

[QUOTE=ChrisPayne;8639636
@the person who sent me a private message: I haven't read this yet as I had blocked popups. So I've unblocked them and waiting to see when this forum prompts me to try reading it again![/QUOTE]

you don't need to unblock popups - just go to the top right of your screen where there is a link to "private messages", click that and your message will open up in the current browser page. You can do this anytime to view your old messages too.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Steve the Teacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone
I am new to the forum here, but not new to ex-pat life. I am English, a science teacher and spent the last 2 years in Egypt, prior to that 8 years in Qatar.

So next I am coming to Al Ain, to be an advisory Teacher, if everything works out to plan.

My questions are mainly about schooling for my kids.
I have three kids, currently age 7, 3, and 1
My job is with GEMS who run 'Our Own English High School' and are wanting to put my kids in there. Looking at the web site almost all staff are Indian Nationals, there are 'Indian' exams. Not that this is to say they are not good teachers, or its not a good school, results show it to be good, but do any Western expat kids go there?

Which good schools are likely to have vacancies at this late stage?

My wife wonders is there are the same shops we will recognize from Qatar; Mango, Zara, Sana, Splash.
I read (in this thread) that there are familiar names like Home Centre.

Well thats enough to get started.
Steve
Old Jun 19th 2010, 5:12 am
Just Joined

aussie3953 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess my questions are about how I will juggle kids and work in Al Ain- I am a single parent and know how it all fits together at home (school drop off 0830, school finishes at 3.30 then there is afterschool care at the school & so I don't have to get back to pick up my daughter until 5.30-6pm). My younger daughter goes to childcare with similar hours. Can anyone tell me what hours school would be and if there is any system of after school care as I am guessing there will be a couple of hours gap until I finish work? So far on this site with all you very helpful folks I have gathered most of the info I need for cost of living and therefore I am in a good position for negotiating a contract- as I say its just how it all fits together I need to work out now.
Thanks again everyone.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 6:04 am
Just Joined

@ Aussie 3953

I see from your earlier post that you worked in Saudi, all be it without the kids. But I am sure from that experience you know most people with kids have a maid, and you can have the maid recieve the kids at home from the school transport, feed them and so on until you come home. My advice is to just make sure there is a routine to fill the time (say get home home, shower, eat, homework) so that you avoid the kids getting bored waiting for you, which makes the time gap seem bigger than it is to them. Have the maid clean the house and stuff before the kids get home, and focus on the kids once they are home. If you have work and two kids, some kind of domestic help will make things fit into the day a lot easier.
Assuming the girls are young, and you have not crossed the threshold where they go to bed later than you, then if you have a 'live in maid' who can sit in when the kids have gone to bed at the weekend, you may even find you have a bit of time to have a social life of your own
Old Jun 19th 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Holking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really nice

Hi,

GEMs won't expect your kids to go to their school in Al Ain, they know it is not suited for people not wanting the Indian curric. Most people here working for GEMS send their children to AAESS.

Mango, Zara and Splash are all here too!
Old Jun 19th 2010, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Holking
Hi,

GEMs won't expect your kids to go to their school in Al Ain, they know it is not suited for people not wanting the Indian curric. Most people here working for GEMS send their children to AAESS.
Thats good news, it was my biggest concern about the package on offer to be honest

Mango, Zara and Splash are all here too!
It gets better by the minute!

Thanks for the response

BTW do you work with GEMS, or know people who do?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

ChelseaKing is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

If anyone is looking for a villa/house to rent in AL Ain, Let me know. Will get you the best offers in a very short time.

Lui
Thanks!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ChelseaKing
Hi,

If anyone is looking for a villa/house to rent in AL Ain, Let me know. Will get you the best offers in a very short time.

Lui
Thanks!
Not sure if this kind of thing is allowed - does it count as an advert?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:56 am
Banned

Texasgirl Collections is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by larnie
I am living in Al Ain. Have been here 2 weeks and will probably be here for three years. My husband is working on the University extension. We are living at the Intercontinental at the moment Is there anyone out there who is also living here who might be interested in a coffee and a chat sometime.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

PS: I am a Kiwi
Hi, I'm currently staying in the Intercontinental as well. I give classes on jewelry making in Qattarra Oasis area and would be happy to have you join. I am giving a class Thursday morning at 10am. It lasts up to 4hrs and the Heritage Village is a wonderful tea/coffee house in that same area if you are interested in joining us, please give me a call at 0501753853 or chalet 3006 or check out my post on niala news (al ain backwards) You may also find that a very helpful place. I look forward to hearing from you. Michelle Mellinger
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:34 am
Just Joined

gfrafters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm looking for info on kennels for my 2 dogs and cat, could anyone point me in the right direction (unsure if there is one in Al Ain) Many thanks
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:42 am
Banned

Texasgirl Collections is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GatehouseFamily
Thank you so much, Chris, for taking the time to reply................soooo much useful info to help make an informed decision.........invaluable!

For anyone else wondering about the cost of villas, I did contact http://www.alainvillafinder.com
who are a couple of expats that have set up a business to help other expats.

They said to me that a villa for a family of our size is likely to cost approx. 140,000dhs a year.

Chris, do you have any idea of what low, average, good and very good salaries might be?? When we get to the negotiation stage of salary it would be good to know how much to bargin for without being greedy and how much to accept without being out of pocket.

I owe you a big bottle of something if we get to Al Ain!!
Would love to say that Alainvillafinders are very wonderful ppl. Melanie and her husband Mike are really great! They can surely help you find a place as well as links to services/events in Al Ain. Michelle
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Holking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really nice

BTW do you work with GEMS, or know people who do?[/QUOTE]

yes.... I have found them great to work for. Have sent you an email.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Holking
Originally Posted by Steve the teacher
BTW do you work with GEMS, or know people who do?
yes.... I have found them great to work for. Have sent you an email.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.