Living in Al Ain

Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

lawyergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

congratulations Becci! I hope you enjoy your honeymoon in Crete!

Look forward to meeting you in Al-Ain!

Cheers

Originally Posted by Becci_Neil
Hi ppl.

Not posted for ages, been very busy getting married lol. Just had a read though catching up on posts I've missed and got loads more fab advice.

Lawyer girl - defo coming to Yoga and arabic lessons with you.

Just got our e-tickets this week - busy now packing and storing and selling the last bits of our stuff before we come over. (also just booked a short honeymoon in Crete next week) cant wait to have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do for a week - although it only gives us 2 days when we get back before moving to Al Ain. (I'l worry about that when i happens tho)

No more questions at the min but sure as the panick sets in I'l be back in touch. Can't wait to meet everyone out there.

the finally MRS bex lol
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendon2001ad
Hi folks,

Now down to my last 19 days in the UK (yes i'm counting) and I'm trying to find the cheapest way to keep in touch. I've heard rumours that Skype is blocked so is it possible to use Skype or can anyone offer a reasonable alternative?

Brendon
Brendon, Skype is available here in Al Ain as elsewhere in UAE but it is advisable if you havent got it on your laptop download it before you arrive here. It is not available if you try to download it here. Also recommend you find a reliable UK based VPN to download before you come which will enable you to sign in to websites which maybe blocked here. Hope this helps
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

brendon2001ad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
Brendon, Skype is available here in Al Ain as elsewhere in UAE but it is advisable if you havent got it on your laptop download it before you arrive here. It is not available if you try to download it here. Also recommend you find a reliable UK based VPN to download before you come which will enable you to sign in to websites which maybe blocked here. Hope this helps
Brilliant, thanks for that!!!! Any suggestions for a vpn in UK?

On the subject of things to be done before I leave, are there any little things that anyone has forgotten and wished they had remembered excluding food?

I have loads of photos if that helps.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Brendon.

We use HotSpot Shield and our Skype works great If you take any meds, make sure you have enough of them until you find a doc here that can give them to you. Finding some OTC meds are hard to find such as Melatonin.

Mrs Bex Congrats and enjoy your honeymoon !!!! See you soon !
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by brendon2001ad
Hi folks,

Now down to my last 19 days in the UK (yes i'm counting) and I'm trying to find the cheapest way to keep in touch. I've heard rumours that Skype is blocked so is it possible to use Skype or can anyone offer a reasonable alternative?

Brendon

Download skype onto your laptop before you come, it's great for computer-computer calls, but doesn't seem to let you do computer-landline calls.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

As I said Brendon its best to use a UK based one because then you can download UK programmes, use for online banking etc. I will PM you the name of the one I use, not good to advertise on the public forum. With regard to medication if you do take regular prescribed from your doctor you need to bring a letter and a prescription from you doctor with you. Everything else is probably available but you will pay over the top for some medications in the pharmacist. Good news for UK guys is we now have a Boots the Chemist just newly opened in our new shopping mall Bawadi Mall and their own brand medications are excellent.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Cochraf is an unknown quantity at this point

We have re-located to Al Ain as of yesterday and are currently staying in a hotel awaiting accommodation. Our employer had assured us that there would be no problem in finding dog friendly accommodation but this has turned out to be not the case.

Would anyone have the name of some dog friendly landlords we could contact? Obviously it would have to be in an area where we could walk the dog with out any major issues with the locals. Is this even possible?

We are desperate as our dog is almost 11 and we do not wish to just leave him with anybody as anything could happen while we are gone. If we cannot find anything I will have to return home and be separated from my husband.

Your help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Blenheim is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Living in Al Ain

I am in the process of moving to Al Ain. Very keen to hear from anyone there about the state of housing and naturally cost of rental.
Also what is the cost of living like in comparison to NZ.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Blenheim, you need to take some time and read through this thread, it is very long and is repetative in some places but all the answers are there. Cant help you on the cost of living for NZ as I dont come from there but some thing are more and some things are less than the UK just depends on your own personal needs. Larnie who started this thread is from NZ and always ate out at local eateries she will be along later no doubt and will highly recommend this. The food is great and freshly cooked but again depends on what you like/dislike.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:36 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blenheim
I am in the process of moving to Al Ain. Very keen to hear from anyone there about the state of housing and naturally cost of rental.
Also what is the cost of living like in comparison to NZ.
Hi Blenheim

Assume you are from Blenheim. I am from ChCh originally and latterly Wellington so Hi!! and welcome! The cost of living, I believe is directly comparable to your income. When we arrived we found it incredibly cheap living but in hindsight realise it was probably because our income here was so much more than NZ, but having said that some things are incredibly cheap such as eating out, We ate locally almost every night as it was much more affordable than cooking for two. The local restaurants are fabulous, cheap and tasty you just have to be adventurous. The most expensive thing is accommodation but that is all relative to your income. If your accommodation is more than 20-25% of your gross income then we would deem it 'too much'. Food is really cheap if you shop in local supermarkets. Power is cheap, but make sure you are not paying for the whole block of villas if you are living in an arab neighbourhood as we were LOL. Internet is also cheap and of course petrol is like 7 cents a litre!!! Alcohol is expensive comparatively speaking but that is comparing to NZ wine. Spirits are cheap as chips as are SA wine. NZ wine is daylight robbery as in $120 for a bottle of Montana Sav Blanc which I saw in the supermarket in ChCh for $11. But the lifestyle if the income matches is .like nothing you have experienced before in NZ, so go for it! The standard of accommodation is very good, although all rental accommodatioj excludes whiteware, but it is cheap as chips so don't stress just come and enjoy!

Last edited by larnie; Aug 9th 2009 at 8:40 am.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Hi Larnie

How does one go about purchasing alcohol in Al Ain? I know you have to have a license. Where do we get one and then where do we go to purchase?

Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Cochraf, which hotel you staying in for a while, I live in The Hilton
Old Aug 9th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Hi Larnie

We are at the Rotana until the 16th and then are supposed to get housing.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just sent you a PM Cochraf
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just advertise it why dont you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.