Living in Al Ain

Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

haloola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by flood2
hi all,
I have been through this great thread over the last few nights, but too many posts to take it all in!

I am a UK national based in UK and I have been offered a resident engineer position , as a transfer within existing company in AL Ain,for 2 years with start within 4-6 weeks on a salary of 35000 Dir a month with a loan facility for my rent(no housing allowance).

Can I ask opinions...

Are two year contracts normal?

Is this a fair salary? I have about 15 yrs experience, degree etc.

I assume that for tax I need to be out of the UK before April 2011?

Do these jobs normally have a car included?

Can I get a 2 bed apartment for 40k dir a year?

My position has 11 days holiday only(all UAE dates), 6 day working, is this normal?

Should I ask for car/housing allowance/start costs as an allowance(ie furniture?)

thanks in advance
Hi,

Welcome. I've been in Al Ain for 4 months now. I pay 45K a year for a larger-than-average one bedroom flat. The prices have fallen but you'd be very, very lucky to get a 2 bed flat for 40K. When I was looking 2 beds were advertised for 65-75K although, as I said, prices have fallen and you can also try to negotiate.

The salary is good but I know nothing about the going rate for engineers or whether they usually get a car

I get 30 days holiday a year (plus UAE holidays) so yours seems very low. Sounds like they want to work you to the bone for 2 years I work 5 days a week but I know others who work 6.

Regarding tax you can apply for non-residency from whenever you leave the UK - it is possible to split years. I got a rebate from the day I left, although they still havent said if they agree with my non-residential status. I know you have to be out of the UK for a full tax year to avoid being taxed when you return. But I'm no professional and taxes are complicated so please don't just take my word for it!

Good luck
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

hi all,
I have been through this great thread over the last few nights, but too many posts to take it all in!

I am a UK national based in UK and I have been offered a resident engineer position , as a transfer within existing company in AL Ain,for 2 years with start within 4-6 weeks on a salary of 35000 Dir a month with a loan facility for my rent(no housing allowance).

Can I ask opinions...

Are two year contracts normal?
Yes - and at the end of it you will get a severance payment, I think it is 21 days for every year you have completed. Your end of service payment is less if you have an open ended contract

Is this a fair salary? I have about 15 yrs experience, degree etc.
Seems to be

I assume that for tax I need to be out of the UK before April 2011?
No, fill in your P85 as soon as you are left, if this is before the end of june (90 days from the start of the tax year) you will get a tax refund. make sure you stay out for a whole tax year to make sure you don't need to pay tax on your UAE earnings.Best thing to do is to contact a financial/tax advisor for more information.

Do these jobs normally have a car included?
Not usually, unless you are going to be doing a lot of driving as part of your duties. You can pick up a cheap second hand car here, and petrol is 25% of the UK price (or less)

Can I get a 2 bed apartment for 40k dir a year?
probably, rents have fallen, maybe budget 50k in case you don't like the cheaper ones.

My position has 11 days holiday only(all UAE dates), 6 day working, is this normal?
Holidays not normal at all - most expats are given 30days plus UAE holidays. 6 day working is common. If you are coming across with your spouse or a family, you will never see them! I would advise you to make yourself aware of the Ministry of Labour laws, not all companies abide by them though.

Should I ask for car/housing allowance/start costs as an allowance(ie furniture?)
No harm in asking , otherwise I would try to take out £3k for the basics for your home and at least that mucn to buy a car. You won't get a bank loan til you have been in your job for 3-6 months, and anyway, you don't want to get into debt over here!thanks in advance
Hope the info in red is of some help. PM me if you would like more info.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by haloola
Hi,

Welcome. I've been in Al Ain for 4 months now. I pay 45K a year for a larger-than-average one bedroom flat. The prices have fallen but you'd be very, very lucky to get a 2 bed flat for 40K. When I was looking 2 beds were advertised for 65-75K although, as I said, prices have fallen and you can also try to negotiate.

The salary is good but I know nothing about the going rate for engineers or whether they usually get a car

I get 30 days holiday a year (plus UAE holidays) so yours seems very low. Sounds like they want to work you to the bone for 2 years I work 5 days a week but I know others who work 6.

Regarding tax you can apply for non-residency from whenever you leave the UK - it is possible to split years. I got a rebate from the day I left, although they still havent said if they agree with my non-residential status. I know you have to be out of the UK for a full tax year to avoid being taxed when you return. But I'm no professional and taxes are complicated so please don't just take my word for it!

Good luck
Thanks,

I actually meant 1 bed apartment. As I am still not sure if I came over whether I would bring the wife and kids (8/ &10). If I was only out for two years then it would mean upsetting there school all for one year. I thought that if there was a likelyhood of work for many years to come then I would bring them out then
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stokie Family
Hi

I have replied to your PM

Thanks
Hi Stokie Family,
I have also sent you a PM. Forgot to mention I am from Cheshire (small world - assuming you are from Stoke!).
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:37 am
Just Joined

davidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nice

Hi all,
After much deliberation, finally arrived in Al Ain, on Friday, started work on Sunday.......much to my amusement I was put up in the Al Massa hotel.....great place if its only one night. Managed to get relocated to the Hilton, and here for at least 3 weeks, till I can get myself an apartment or other.....

David

Anyone know where I can join/play tennis?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by davidpepps50
Hi all,
After much deliberation, finally arrived in Al Ain, on Friday, started work on Sunday.......much to my amusement I was put up in the Al Massa hotel.....great place if its only one night. Managed to get relocated to the Hilton, and here for at least 3 weeks, till I can get myself an apartment or other.....

David

Anyone know where I can join/play tennis?
Yep Al Massa are sad! I'm sure they have tennis courts at the Hilton! Welcome!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Quick question...
I think I am coming over and will bring the wife and kids. Offer from work is good so I am happy.

What schools would expats recommend? My kids will be 10 and 8 at the start of September.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:52 am
Just Joined

davidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nicedavidpepps50 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kiwigirlinalain
Yep Al Massa are sad! I'm sure they have tennis courts at the Hilton! Welcome!
Yes, found the tennis courts at Hilton, had a game on Thursday night, and some coaching this Wednesday!!! Only prob is the heat!!! I will get used to it though

D
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Quick question...
I think I am coming over and will bring the wife and kids. Offer from work is good so I am happy.

What schools would expats recommend? My kids will be 10 and 8 at the start of September.
I don't have kids at school but since no-one has answered you, I've got friends with primary aged kids at AAESS (Al Ain English Speaking School), Manor Hall, and Choiefat, they are all happy. You have to put your kids names down early for place though - most of the schools have websites, although not many companies here are as switched on to e-commerce as we are back in the UK.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuesday coffee tomorrow at the Al Jimi Mall, at the Cafe Hut. Meet 10am-11.30am
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:10 am
Just Joined

baptiste is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job opportunity

My name is Baptiste Bouguereau, a French national and currently living in Al Ain. Since I am living in the UAE, I am interested to apply for a job opportunity as instructor.
Otherwise, I’m very interested to meet professional carer or parents who have children with special needs, because I came to know that some parents have many difficulties to provide schooling or activities to their children in Al Ain.

Kindly note that, I worked as instructor in an educational institute specialized in taking care of the children who are disabled and the teenagers who are abused or having behavioral disorders, for 9 years in France.

I would be grateful if someone could answer me about my request!!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Jimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mand33
Hi

Am another newbie and would be very grateful for some advice. I am looking for a good primary and secondary school, preferably British curriculum. I have heard about AAESS, Chouefat and the Emirates National School and am wondering which one anyone could recommend based on experience?

Thank you in advance

well .. AAESS n choueifat r the best 2 schools here .... u can visit them and decide which one you like .... they both have british curriculum

Good luck with that! xx
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Jimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really niceJimmy-UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Tuesday coffee tomorrow at the Al Jimi Mall, at the Cafe Hut. Meet 10am-11.30am
heyy haha .. okay , how about the next sunday or tuesday? I live in Al ain too
xx
Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:10 am
Just Joined

AlAin Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, whats up

I'm Sultan from AlAin, I'm Emirati.

I can help answering any inquiries regarding AlAin city cause I know how difficult is it to move to a new place.As I see, too many people feeling lost.

I'm not seeking any kind of profits or business marketing stuff, just trying to be kind,

That's all
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

savik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any British midwives working in Al Ain?

Hi, I am a Canadian teacher mulling over a potential job offer to work in Al Ain through Canada Education Commission International at one of the local schools.

My English wife has almost 20 years of midwifery experience both in the UK and Canada.

I am just wondering if there are any British midwives working in Al Ain, what the working conditions are like and what is the average rate of pay and what companies recruit for midwives/nurses in Al Ain?

We also would be bringing our two sons, currently 8 and 12 - how far ahead do you have to put their names down for schools?

thanks in advance
savik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.